• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY....

Started by Tractorak, March 14, 2014, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalSHO

Sorry to see you go, but completely understandable. Terrible that you are getting bent over by Ford. Check in with your new ride.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

dmharvey79

Yes, FMC customer service sucks...of course so does the customer service for other automakers too. The only one I've had good luck with is Toyota, for my wife's car.

SHOdded

Quote from: Tractorak on March 14, 2014, 08:21:04 PM
It looks like my pay out is going to be in the 34-36K range they will get back to me on Monday.
That sounds a little better :)  Not being upside down on an asset is a great/rare place to be nowadays.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Tractorak

Thanks everyone I had left the WRX world and into the ford and I felt welcome. I really loved my car it was the and presently still is the funnest and most enjoyable car I have ever known. I will own another one again but not for a lot of years. This was a sobering experience in the real world.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

Tractorak

The happy ending...

The good news is that my insurance paid out $37,750.00. I will be returning Pm's and pricing remaining items this week hopefully. Take care guys.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

DJE624

Glad you had a happy ending.  Nice roof by the way.

SHOdded

That looks good!  Roof reminds me of the BAMR in the Edge, nice to have a view like that :D  Let the mods begin!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SRT82ECOBOOST

Incredible that your insurance company cut a check for $37,750. Sounds like it worked out in the end, minus all the frustration in between.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

IHeartGroceries

Nice looking Jeep. Looks like a shark.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

Sweet looking Jeep... good settlement... And a Happy man... traumatic experience, but looks like a happy ending!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

mjhpadi

Great looking Jeep, hope you have nothing but good luck and enjoyable driving with it.  We'll miss you here, but understand you moving away. I did the same thing many years ago when Ford just didn't want to fix my Aerostar...it was a nightmare. First I live right in the midst of 3 Ford regions..my selling dealer was in the Buffalo region, I live in the Pittsburgh region, and the dealer who was trying to help me was in the Philadelphia region.  It was terrible because everything was being routed to a different region....funny thing is now 25 years later, I am again with the dealer who helped me with the Aerostar and has been a real star when it comes to servicing my vehicles...it's funny how some things don't change. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

yowen

I hope I am not coming across as insensitive, I definitely would have liked to have seen Ford admit some responsibility here, but they weren't really required to, a car burning down in one manner or another is an insurance case. Unless there is an obvious manufacturing defect, but if there were, the EcoBoost engine would be all over the news (them being in hundreds of thousands of trucks and cars). A car being totaled by your insurance company is always a tough pill to swallow, but it happens to many. Luckily we have insurance so that we aren't out several (tens of) thousands of dollars.

I'm glad you found another vehicle that you are happy with and I can totally understand that Ford has left a sour taste in your mouth. I of course don't know exactly how your conversations went, but in general I don't think it's entirely inappropriate for Ford to have left you at the mercy of your insurance. But judging from the posts here it does sound like Ford customer service was kind of ***hole-ish about it and that really sucks. They should be doing everything they can get away with to keep you happy and to keep you as a customer.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

mval

I am as well glad things worked out for you & i probably wouldn't have been so brave as to throw snow on a burning car. I'd probably broken a sprint record for a 60 year getting the hell away. Anyway I had an issue when i bought my escape, not the same dealer as my SHO. anyway they made a $500 adding error & never let me know until after multiple calls i was running out of time to get my license & tax paid & went in person. Anyway after basically having to make an ass of myself, they let me cancelled my extended warranty with them &  I took my money less the $500, which I by contract did owe them & went to my other dealer & got an actual ford extended warranty. well when i got my card from ford to grade the dealer i graded them poor on everything but the salesperson. i'm in sales myself so wouldn't have done that to her. but anyway i was shock that someone from ford never did contact me about it. so i'm as well suspect about ford's customer service.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

black99lightning

I'll steal the line from Yowen about not being insensitive, but if I recall the facts your car was tuned.  You also went WOT from a dead through atleast 2nd into 3rd in below freezing temperatures until the motor popped.  In your original thread I advised you to remove the video and the thread itself, as it was incriminating.  Kinda like a thief videoing his latest heist.  Did anyone ever verify if the motor did indeed grenade, which is my assumption based on the loss of power and oil getting on the turbo causing the fire?  I'm sorry for your loss but to blame the manufacturer is ridiculous.

I'll give you a couple of my personal experiences.   I hurt the motor in my first Shelby, '09 GT500.  I had a tune from one of the most reputable tuners in the country, VMP.  Burnt up the 2nd plug on the pass side, and guessing I broke a ringland.  I traded the car for $27K last year, retail was $35-37K at the time.  I did disclose to the dealer it had a knocking noise on startup that went away about a minute or two after running.   I'm sure they fixed it under powertrain.  On my '04 Cobra I was lifting the heads under boost.  The car was tuned by RWTD, and had a ported blower and full exhaust.  Sold it for $15K when it easily would've sold for $22-25K at the time.  On neither car did I blame FORD for my misfortune, nor the tuner.  I did try to get Ford to warranty the '09, but in the end I knew it was my $$, and my fault.  These unfortunately are the risks we assume when we modify our vehicles from stock then beat on them.  If you want reliability buy a 4cyl accord and leave it stock.

If you do indeed report this to the NTSB, make sure you let them know the circumstances.  Ditto with bad mouthing the manufacturer on the internet. 
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

BiGMaC

Quote from: black99lightning on March 18, 2014, 05:36:21 PM
I'll steal the line from Yowen about not being insensitive, but if I recall the facts your car was tuned.  You also went WOT from a dead through atleast 2nd into 3rd in below freezing temperatures until the motor popped.  In your original thread I advised you to remove the video and the thread itself, as it was incriminating.  Kinda like a thief videoing his latest heist.  Did anyone ever verify if the motor did indeed grenade, which is my assumption based on the loss of power and oil getting on the turbo causing the fire?  I'm sorry for your loss but to blame the manufacturer is ridiculous.

I'll give you a couple of my personal experiences.   I hurt the motor in my first Shelby, '09 GT500.  I had a tune from one of the most reputable tuners in the country, VMP.  Burnt up the 2nd plug on the pass side, and guessing I broke a ringland.  I traded the car for $27K last year, retail was $35-37K at the time.  I did disclose to the dealer it had a knocking noise on startup that went away about a minute or two after running.   I'm sure they fixed it under powertrain.  On my '04 Cobra I was lifting the heads under boost.  The car was tuned by RWTD, and had a ported blower and full exhaust.  Sold it for $15K when it easily would've sold for $22-25K at the time.  On neither car did I blame FORD for my misfortune, nor the tuner.  I did try to get Ford to warranty the '09, but in the end I knew it was my $$, and my fault.  These unfortunately are the risks we assume when we modify our vehicles from stock then beat on them.  If you want reliability buy a 4cyl accord and leave it stock.

If you do indeed report this to the NTSB, make sure you let them know the circumstances.  Ditto with bad mouthing the manufacturer on the internet. 

Modding is a pay to play game for sure. All the points you make are definitely valid, and I agree with every one.... 

However they are kind of based on the assumption that the tune was at fault. You knew the problems you had and sometimes parts just fail.  The cause of this engine fire and the popping sound will never be known I guess... because right or wrong (no judgement) Ford declined to investigate it (which may have been the best for Dean)....
If it's reported to the NTSB they won't likely take any action unless multiple similar reports are made... like the recent Tesla battery fires where it took three similar.  But if there's a possibility of an inherent risk (and I'm not saying there is) that report is the only real avenue to discovering it for the safety and benefit of everyone. Of course it's not even our choice.

Just a little different perspective, I think.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock