• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another way to skin the cat - dual DI pumps

Started by EcoPowerParts, March 12, 2014, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

I've been kind of working on this in the background but I can't seem to make it happen. Maybe somebody on here knows someone that can get this done.
There's two ways it can happen:
1. Modify camshaft on head without a DI pump (no you can't just use the existing cam from the other head) and modify it or copy it and put DI lobes on it. Make a new valve cover to mount it and new hard lines. Split the incoming low pressure feed lines (you'll need to do an in tank fuel pump upgrade as well). I believe that you could split the wires between the two spill valves and work. Of course testing to prove my theory would need to be done.

2. Create a reservoir/DI pump mount with basically just the lobes from the cam, picture a power steering pump assembly - you'll need to make a mount to affix it to the block of the engine and figure out a pulley system to drive it off the belts. You would mount second DI pump to this resevoir (to hold oil to lubricate the lobes and pump). New hard lines, split incoming lines etc, same as #1.

#2 is much easier to create and make happen, it would definitely fit/mount on the truck and making pulleys etc would work. I would suggest a 1:1 ratio so that the cam spins the same rpm as the stock cam. (When I say cam I mean a rod 2" long with the same DI pump lobes as the stock pump mounted inside of a reservoir that holds oil and the top is a mount for the DI pump.
Will this cause issues with belt slippage etc? No idea but I think it could work, who knows if it will.

Somebody take my idea and run with it, if you can make it and you want to be nice give me a royalty for my idea, if not then take it and just help make more fuel for the truck and cars.

With this idea I believe we could make enough fuel for 1K+ HP on gas and 800 or so on E85 with stock DI pumps, when the new Bosch pumps come out add 50% supposedly.

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

kinder

Wouldn't it be easier to just add in an independent EFI system? Then it can be tuned, extra fuel is being mixed in the intake track to be supplemented by the DFI (also tuned)? Then you can run electric pumps and such.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

IHeartGroceries

4DR, what happened with your auxiliary injectors you fabbed onto your IM?
Was there any success to that venture?

Why not settle on a fifth port type additional injection, like the MS community has been using with success?
Or, more recently, conversion to PI? XD

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Tuner Boost

We have had cams ground with 4 lobes instead of 3 for some GM applications with good results (the lobes that drive the piston on the DI pump).

walt460

adding another lobe to cam to increase DI pump output sounds like a great idea.  However, not sure the pump actually has enough capacity or that the injectors can flow enough.  500HP seems about the limit for the stock pump and injectors.

turbodave

Why not just do what the Ecoboost race engines do? Another DI pump and camshaft on the other head?

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

2012 Lincoln MKT 3.5 Ecoboost AWD..... Fully Loaded minus active park assist and tow package.
Chrystal Champagne

86 Buick Grand National
87 Buick Grand National
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

crash712us

I was told ford racing went back to a single pump. Did someone say cam? Hmmm maybe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

wasinger3000

OR ... find someone to build a replacement cam driven pump that is capable of 4x the output of the stock unit.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

bpd1151

Quote from: walt460 on November 07, 2014, 01:59:14 PM500HP seems about the limit for the stock pump and injectors.

Calculating an approximate 23% drive train loss, my 617awhp pull places my SHO at, or just slightly over 800hp at the motor.

Furthermore, there were no changes to any portions of my fueling system to obtain that achievement.

Stock injectors, stock pumps (both LPFP & HPFP), stock rails, you name it. Stock stock stock.

In other words, the stock set up can handle the demands adequately and beyond. Just FYI.

glock-coma

Quote from: bpd1151 on November 07, 2014, 07:10:40 PM
Quote from: walt460 on November 07, 2014, 01:59:14 PM500HP seems about the limit for the stock pump and injectors.

Calculating an approximate 23% drive train loss, my 617awhp pull places my SHO at, or just slightly over 800hp at the motor.

Furthermore, there were no changes to any portions of my fueling system to obtain that achievement.

Stock injectors, stock pumps (both LPFP & HPFP), stock rails, you name it. Stock stock stock.

In other words, the stock set up can handle the demands adequately and beyond. Just FYI.
But......with meth

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost 3bar
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Wilson

Quote from: glock-coma on November 07, 2014, 07:40:28 PM
Quote from: bpd1151 on November 07, 2014, 07:10:40 PM

But......with meth

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost 3bar
more to come.....

Spraying TWO nozzles at that...

:)
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

walt460

"Calculating an approximate 23% drive train loss, my 617awhp pull places my SHO at, or just slightly over 800hp at the motor.

In other words, the stock set up can handle the demands adequately and beyond. Just FYI."

All I can say is that if you got to over 500HP with the stock pump and injectors, you are not running 93 octane gasoline.  What are you doing to make that power?

MDesign Performance

Quote from: walt460 on November 08, 2014, 12:32:18 PMAll I can say is that if you got to over 500HP with the stock pump and injectors, you are not running 93 octane gasoline.  What are you doing to make that power?

He's methanol injected.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: walt460 on November 08, 2014, 12:32:18 PM
"Calculating an approximate 23% drive train loss, my 617awhp pull places my SHO at, or just slightly over 800hp at the motor.

In other words, the stock set up can handle the demands adequately and beyond. Just FYI."

All I can say is that if you got to over 500HP with the stock pump and injectors, you are not running 93 octane gasoline.  What are you doing to make that power?
could you please elaborate why?

walt460

The limit of the stock DI pump is enough fuel to make about 500HP.  No matter what you do, it just can not provide more fuel than that.  Bosch does not (apparently) does not make a larger pump for this application.  Yes, you can overdrive the pump by increasing the number of lobes on the cam, and this will get you more fuel at lower engine speeds, but you will still hit the pump's capacity limit, just at a lower rpm.

Adding a secondary fuel source does work.  Spray methanol into the upper intake, add 4 incremental gas fuel injectors into the upper intake with their own fuel pump, whatever, the additional fuel must come from a source other than the stock DI pump.