• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N filter, drop in or whole set up?

Started by 2010SHOtime, March 11, 2014, 12:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

If we line up 2 cars for comparison, first we have to verify they are identical in every known respect.  The lanes should be identical in every known respect.  Then dyno/dragrace them.  Then compare changes one by one.  Has anyone established where the cutoff is for time differences to reach a level of significance?  Is 0.01 significant, or is 0.05 significant, etc.  Having a 0.1 second difference is probably a no-brainer :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on May 06, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
If we line up 2 cars for comparison, first we have to verify they are identical in every known respect.  The lanes should be identical in every known respect.  Then dyno/dragrace them.  Then compare changes one by one.  Has anyone established where the cutoff is for time differences to reach a level of significance?  Is 0.01 significant, or is 0.05 significant, etc.  Having a 0.1 second difference is probably a no-brainer :D

A statistician.... But a good point... When is P< .001  (the level of significance in medical stuff)?

(For you non-statisticians this means that what was reported has < 1 chance out of 1000 of being coincidence)

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

navbtcret

Quote from: BiGMaC on May 06, 2014, 09:44:09 AM
Quote from: navbtcret on May 06, 2014, 09:10:09 AM
I ran against a friend of mine this past Friday at the track, both 2013's and identical mods except he has a CAI and I have a drop in K&N. Every time we lined up against each other he was .01-.03 faster than me. He also has the Flower wheels and mine came with the 19's so that is a small difference too. Same cool down time and everything, so that make me think the CAI does add a little to you car.

A different finding than most have reported.... warrants a bit of analysis I think.

Do you have the timeslips you could post?  Interesting to see them I think.  The main variable not controlled is primarily the driver if both cars are either PP or non-PP.   I wonder if the drop-in is the problem....

Other member tests were same driver, same car, different runs (back-to-back) with AM CAI vs completely stock intake... 4DR and bamsho found stock faster in their trial conducted this way.

Removing the entire filter box (saxophone only open intake) vs stock showed no difference on the dyno in my '13 SHO nonPP... but of course that's not "real world"

They are both non pp, he has over 35k on his car and mine is just under 9k. Identical mods with the exception of the cai, tunes are both Livernois 3 bar v8 tunes. We swapped lanes as well with the same results. I will post up slips later, busy right now at work and slips are at home. He has the 20" flower rims and I have the 19" stock rims, 2013's both and he has the adaptive cruise but I do not. Those are the only differences in the cars.

We were both in sport mode with traction control off.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

metroplex

It would be interesting to see a dyno of the stock airbox but no filter. I found other tests that show the airbox and snorkle work together for proper flow. I like Big macs idea of testing without an airbox, but that will mess up the pressure/flow of the Intake vs just removing the filter.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport