• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N filter, drop in or whole set up?

Started by 2010SHOtime, March 11, 2014, 12:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

I ran better with my stock intake + K@N drop in than the typhoon.

Night Hawk

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on March 12, 2014, 08:25:57 PM
We recommend our Windstorm CAI for the Eco-boost platforms gain up to 10 additional horsepower! We just received a new shipment in. Get yours today!

Any pics bud?
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 10, 2014, 09:20:09 PM
I ran better with my stock intake + K@N drop in than the typhoon.

I'm not at all surprised... Mike had the same experience with AirAid.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

I have an AirAid and even though I will more than likely end up with the Fastlane CIA it's worth noting that the top 3 SHO members  in the 1/4  all run AirAid  .... just a thought 
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

bamsho

Well, here are my personnal results with CAI and stock air box.  Ran car at BSD test and tune this past sat.  Weather was nice and track conditions were good.  Ran first pass with K&N CAI and did 13.47 @ 102. Took car back to pits, swapped CAI for stock box and K&N panel filter.  Went back and car ran 13.32@103.  I couldn't believe it, but there it was, ran another run and ran 13.39, also realized I still have TRAC Control still on.  Car had LMS Stage4+ in when I did those runs.  I've been reading the posts about this debate and wanted to see for myself, and wife said wow too.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on April 11, 2014, 01:55:31 AM
I have an AirAid and even though I will more than likely end up with the Fastlane CIA it's worth noting that the top 3 SHO members  in the 1/4  all run AirAid  .... just a thought 

With meth I think... overcomes a lot with the added HP.

IMHO...The most valid testing as far as performance is comparison of just the intake system as a variable.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

black99lightning

Quote from: bamsho on April 14, 2014, 11:47:38 AM
Well, here are my personnal results with CAI and stock air box.  Ran car at BSD test and tune this past sat.  Weather was nice and track conditions were good.  Ran first pass with K&N CAI and did 13.47 @ 102. Took car back to pits, swapped CAI for stock box and K&N panel filter.  Went back and car ran 13.32@103.  I couldn't believe it, but there it was, ran another run and ran 13.39, also realized I still have TRAC Control still on.  Car had LMS Stage4+ in when I did those runs.  I've been reading the posts about this debate and wanted to see for myself, and wife said wow too.

Were cooldowns the same?  I maybe doing the same thing soon.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

bamsho

2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

black99lightning

Quote from: bamsho on April 14, 2014, 01:20:18 PM
Yes, 15-20 minutes.

Cool.  I may have a Typhoon and Airade for sale soon.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

FoMoCoSHO

I figure with the number of cai's that are gonna end up for sale, mine will end up being a garage decoration. FML.

SHODYOU

I read the description on their website as it says something about Windstorm in one of their packages...
no image but it says something about a new tube and an airbox, not an open filter

Hmmmm

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 12, 2014, 08:28:26 PM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on March 12, 2014, 08:25:57 PM
We recommend our Windstorm CAI for the Eco-boost platforms gain up to 10 additional horsepower! We just received a new shipment in. Get yours today!
Heads up!

Livernois Windstorm had no results on google.
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

painterpatt

I have the Airaid on my Flex, sounds cool but the rubber gasket is a joke, not even close to the bottom of hood. My intake air temp will climb from 100 to 155/60 just sitting in staging. seriously thinking about ditching it and modding stock airbox but with a non oiled filter. Turbos pull WAY more air thru filter and will suck oil out of it. I thought I read somewhere about Ford voiding turbo warranty because oil gums up turbos?
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

FoMoCoSHO

Take a look at the Fastlane cai thread.

I have "stumbled" upon some info as to why the OEM performs better.

bamsho

Here is the modified air box I did.  Someone else did it too on his MKS, used PVC pipe, but I used 3" intake flex pipe.  It was very tight under the left front head light assembly, that's why I used the flex pipe.  Going to order a Frogzskin breathable filter to help keep out bugs and other big debris.  Frogzskin is used on newer snowmobiles too keep out snow and snowdust.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 14, 2014, 09:24:02 PM
Take a look at the Fastlane cai thread.

I have "stumbled" upon some info as to why the OEM performs better.

FMCS... Could you link the post?... There are 3 threads about the Fastlane CAI. TIA