• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N filter, drop in or whole set up?

Started by 2010SHOtime, March 11, 2014, 12:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fa-SHO

Quote from: Needmoreboost on March 12, 2014, 02:56:21 PM
I have the K&N drop in panel filter with a slightly modified stock airbox.  So I get the intake sounds like the Typhoon or Airraid for just the price of the panel.  I did this by making a 4 by 3 inch opening down low in the fender/headlight well side of the airbox.  So I still get the benefits of cold air from the front via factory intake tube and less restriction than sealed stock airbox.   I also opened up the radiator valance where the stock slit for air comes in (about 4x larger) and cut the the weather stripping to open the air flow at the edge where the hood comes down.  A little ram airish...  Some people like to spend money.  :)

I did this same thing.  Good performance and some extra sound.
2013 SHO w/PP, x-pipe, dynomax mufflers, k&n drop-in filter, 170* t-stat, 3-bar MAP, LMS tune
1/8th: 8.71 @ 84 mph (factory stock)
1/8th: 8.18 @ 84 mph (above mods)
1/4: 12.80 @ 107 mph (above mods)

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 12, 2014, 04:16:38 PM
I have the K&N drop in panel filter with a slightly modified stock airbox.  So I get the intake sounds like the Typhoon or Airraid for just the price of the panel.  I did this by making a 4 by 3 inch opening down low in the fender/headlight well side of the airbox.  So I still get the benefits of cold air from the front via factory intake tube and less restriction than sealed stock airbox.   I also opened up the radiator valance where the stock slit for air comes in (about 4x larger) and cut the the weather stripping to open the air flow at the edge where the hood comes down.  A little ram airish...  Some people like to spend money.  :)

I did exactly the same thing - I used PVC drain pipe to plumb from the hole in the airbox to an area in the inner fender that is open to outside air.

I'd love to see some pics of where you punched through and what you found in that opening, or at least a description.  The additional non engine compartment air source is very interesting to me. That source hopefully should be somewhat protected from water pick up.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Needmoreboost

Quote from: Larrylu on March 12, 2014, 05:49:56 PM

I did exactly the same thing - I used PVC drain pipe to plumb from the hole in the airbox to an area in the inner fender that is open to outside air.

I'd love to see some pics of where you punched through and what you found in that opening, or at least a description.  The additional non engine compartment air source is very interesting to me. That source hopefully should be somewhat protected from water pick up.

The hole I made is in the airbox itself.  Bottom right side if your facing engine compartment.  No water can get there unless you submerge your car in 3.5 plus feet of water.  You will have other problems at that point.  ;). It still takes in air at same place on front as oem Larry.  Get your jig or hole saw out and go to town. Lol
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

Livernois Motorsports

We recommend our Windstorm CAI for the Eco-boost platforms gain up to 10 additional horsepower! We just received a new shipment in. Get yours today!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on March 12, 2014, 08:25:57 PM
We recommend our Windstorm CAI for the Eco-boost platforms gain up to 10 additional horsepower! We just received a new shipment in. Get yours today!
Heads up!

Livernois Windstorm had no results on google.

panther427

2013 SHO

FoMoCoSHO

I couldn't find windstorm on the site either.

Is it just the Airaid?

Brucelinc

I probably wasn't clear, Larry.  I didn't make a hole in the inner fender.  The only hole I made was in the airbox.  If you put a trouble light under the left front bumper area and stick your head over into the left front fender area, you will see that there is an opening there where light and presumably air can come in.  I just used 3 PVC drainpipe elbows to go from the airbox to that open area.  My homemade "snorkle" is only about 8-10 inches long.  I was just trying to get as far from engine heat as possible and as close as possible to an outside air source.  I will try to snap a pic this weekend but it is nothing that I would want to patent or anything!

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 12, 2014, 09:36:09 PM

I probably wasn't clear, Larry.  I didn't make a hole in the inner fender.  The only hole I made was in the airbox.  If you put a trouble light under the left front bumper area and stick your head over into the left front fender area, you will see that there is an opening there where light and presumably air can come in.  I just used 3 PVC drainpipe elbows to go from the airbox to that open area.  My homemade "snorkle" is only about 8-10 inches long.  I was just trying to get as far from engine heat as possible and as close as possible to an outside air source.  I will try to snap a pic this weekend but it is nothing that I would want to patent or anything!
Thanks for clarifying. I'm obsessed with the idea of going through the inner fender wall for a cooler source. I just have not done the hands on research yet to see if the idea has any merit. Summer is coming!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Brucelinc

Larry, I am not sure you will find a cooler source than the stock opening in the front.  I looked long and hard at trying something different - even considered a set up like an old Chevelle with cowl induction!  Let us know if you come up with something.

Woody

This is what I wanted to find. This is what I did on my WRX to hear the turbo. I have missed that sound since i stopped driving that car in late 2008. Now aside from detailing I have another project this weekend.

68_GT

with the "snorkel" installed into the fender well do you still get the turbo noise ?

is it as loud as the K&N Typhoon with just the holes cut in the stock air box ?

I think I'll take a look at modifying the radiator valence too. I only snipped of some of the hood weather stripping and put in a K&N panel filter.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

281Thunder

I did the "cut-out" airbox thing before as well, and I can attest the sound is nowhere near as loud as it is with the Typhoon.
2011 SHO

68_GT

Quote from: 281Thunder on April 10, 2014, 07:37:34 PM
I did the "cut-out" airbox thing before as well, and I can attest the sound is nowhere near as loud as it is with the Typhoon.

maybe it's just right then ? or not audible enough to justify doing it ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

panther427

This is what i did with my GXP. i have thought about doing something similar on the SHO

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/1088073-custom-fwi.html
2013 SHO