• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Help set my expectations. Just did my SHO.. Not quite experiencing nirvana

Started by TopherSho, November 18, 2016, 10:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derfdog15

Quote from: TxGt1 on November 18, 2016, 02:35:44 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on November 18, 2016, 10:51:01 AM
Do you have access to 93 octane fuel? The first tune will always be the softest tune and its crucial to datalog and monitor AFR readings in order to get the most benefits and optimum feel in performance and it will take roughly 5 tune revisions and some have had roughly 10-20 tune revisions before they were satisfied with the level of performance and so may variables to consider such as mileage staying on top of maintenance aspect so due update your signature with your current vehicle and a list of all your mods,thanks.  Z

I can see maybe 5 revisions. If I need 10-20 I think I might try another tuner. I have had several mustangs never needed 10 revisions. Maybe ecoboost tuning is different?

Was that with changing mods as well? I currently am on Rev11 of my tune, but started tuning for an E20 blend at Rev6, so I have 5 revisions on the pump gas tune, and am on the 6th on E20 tuning, but we are making one change at a time, first set of Revisions was to dial in boost, now we are dialing in the Spark Advance.

I am unsure how others do it, but I am also sure there may be need for a few extra revisions when a new mod is added, for instance when I add downpipes, I will need a new rev to my pump gas tune and E20 tune. Depending on the cars behavior there may be need for a second revision or even third at that point.

Weather changes also may necessitate tune changes, due to winter blend gas, etc. Though once a tune is dialed in it should need minimal revision. I think the biggest thing is how the tuner does changed. AJP does very gradual changes, and only works on one major parameter at a time, so that we can know for a fact how the change is affecting things. I like this way much more than a tuner who throws boost, and spark, and other changes at you all at the same time.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

TxGt1

I would think the initial tune files that you receive should not have to be tweaked more than 3-5 times to get it dialed in. If you add another part obviously you would need a revision to get the full potential out of your mods and tune. Maybe Im not as picky with my tunes lol. I data log send to my tuner and when I get my revision I'm good to go. Speaking of tuning I think I have decided to go with unleashed can't wait to see if it wakes up my Xsport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Xsport- CAI, 170 stat, 3bar, tune

2011 Mustang Gt 401A- Off road exhaust, suspension, Lund tuned etc.

derfdog15

Quote from: TxGt1 on November 18, 2016, 06:04:21 PM
I would think the initial tune files that you receive should not have to be tweaked more than 3-5 times to get it dialed in. If you add another part obviously you would need a revision to get the full potential out of your mods and tune. Maybe Im not as picky with my tunes lol. I data log send to my tuner and when I get my revision I'm good to go. Speaking of tuning I think I have decided to go with unleashed can't wait to see if it wakes up my Xsport.

If I was tuning with Torrie or Livernoise I would probably just try to get it to a nice gain, and leave it. But with AJP, since he knows his stuff extremely well, and is willing to explain changes in detail, I kinda let him choose when we should stop, based on what he sees. He also does the changes in smaller increments, like I mentioned, so my first 5 revs were all related to increased boost, and there was no room for spark increase on 93 octane with my car. Then we started E85 tuning, and tweaked boost control a bit, and peak boost. After we started on spark. The current rev, I saw 25 degrees of spark advance at WOT, with 0KR. So we are most likely going to move on to rev 12 and advance spark a bit more.

Like I said, I think it has to do with how the tuner works, some would use the first log to see where spark/boost are, and then jump boost up a few PSI and spark advance, rather than going 1 PSI at a time,and then a degree or 2 of spark at a time.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

TxGt1

That's great that AJP will dial it in like that for you! I see what your saying. Thanks for taking the time to share that information.

2014 Xsport- CAI, 170 stat, 3bar, tune

2011 Mustang Gt 401A- Off road exhaust, suspension, Lund tuned etc.

Vortech347

It takes a few.  All cars are different and so are their environments. 
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

FoMoCoSHO

I would definitely log it and retune ASAP.

I recently loaded my base 93 Torrie tune while waiting I'm waiting on some parts and there was substantial KR so I will just put up with stock for the time being.

BoostedSho2010

Quote from: TopherSho on November 18, 2016, 10:16:42 AM
Ok specs 1st
92p tune from Torrie
plugs (.028) from his site pregapped.
3 bar MAP

I programmed it last night, and have been driving for about 4 hours,  my impressions are 'good' but I am also thinking "this is not what I read the expected behavior to be". 

Can the great internetz help set my expectations correctly ?

Without down pipes,  it feels remarkably the same under 2500 rpm.  AFTER 2500 it is 'stronger' but it is defiantly not ripping up my tires as some have posted.  I ASSUME that is expected since I cannot make boost that much sooner without HFC and downpipes.  please correct me if I am wrong on my assumption on this..

Another thing others posted frequently is the torque steer complaints.  Definitely not seeing torque steer issues either .. which make me think we need to data log and calibrate a bit (this is the 1st tune btw, no calibration has occurred yet). 

The next thing that seems different than other people have noted is chirping tires.  Definitely not doing that.  It was a balmy 44 degrees F this morning and I gave it the WOT beans and certainly no chipping occurred on the 1-2 shift.  This btw is on some slightly cheaper goodyear DWS style tires.  Anyone else comment on 92p octane + 3bar + .28 plug performance up top?   It makes me wonder if I am reving too high (it wasin full auto mode) and shifting under powered.. (this has happened on the OEM tune where it runs right up to the limiter),  or if the AFR + winter gas is causing a loss...

Tq management. 
Holy s***.   Its weird.  I am going to give it a week before I do anything but holy crap does it shift hard at 50% throttle. At WOT it shift likes bullet.  pop-pop-pop! not to hard, not soft like it was before but it snaps into gear quickly and without drama. *perfect*.

At normal speeds.. it is like normal... soft and grandpa lazy shifting.. slightly more throttle makes it crisper but the wife doesn't even feel the difference.

but at 50% throttle ... WTAF.  BAM!  Negans bat just hit the car in the ass. prime example I can replicate.. 50% throttle 4-2 downshifts are BRUTAL, LOUD and "did I break it" jarring.  Will that tone down over time?  Or do I need to adjust the pressure for downshifts?  In my head I really do not care about downshift pressure.. I am happy to soften that up.  All I care about is the much crisper upshifting under wot which 'seems' fine..

At 50% throttle upshifts are also pretty hard.  Not spine shattering, but it is eye opening at 5:30am. I have not made my mind up yet on the harder upshifts when not WoT... I am thinking when at the track WoT shifts will be more important to reduce ET's by reducing the time spent soft-shifting.  Dunno.

I fully expect the need to re-calibrate.. so I am not disappointed at all.  but i am curious if others have had similar experiences or advice.

thank you in advance.

I worked a lot with unleashed here is the deal you have to log and tell him what u want. The car in the learning stages will bang into gear a few times then smooth out after some miles. The down shifts are firm and does not really slip into gear. From what I have researched to make sure the trans lasts you can tell him to smooth them out for you. But the first tune you get is just a safe base tune for logging purposes. Then you send it to him and he will send you another revision.

BoostedSho2010

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 20, 2016, 07:15:44 PM
I would definitely log it and retune ASAP.

I recently loaded my base 93 Torrie tune while waiting I'm waiting on some parts and there was substantial KR so I will just put up with stock for the time being.
Yea lack of octane what do you have available e85? Only need 1 gallon to 5 to get e20 blend going. My car knocked on the base tune he will turn it down to eliminate the knock.. added the mix turned it way all the way up 7 revisions. E85 is 1:70 a gallon here and only have access to 91  so for that I could turn up the car all the way up till it knocked or ran out of fuel.

MiWiAu

TopherSho, any updates? Did you get your tune sorted?

2013 XSport