• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

K&N filter, drop in or whole set up?

Started by 2010SHOtime, March 11, 2014, 12:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010SHOtime

Hi all, I apologize if this has been talked about before but I just wanted to see if there is more of a benefit to go with the whole K&N set up or can I get the same gains(if any is to be had) with a drop in filter into the stock setup? Other than looks is there a performance benefit?

Thanks for the advice!
2010 SHO 402A non PP. Best time 13.113 @ 105.81
Tuned by Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning, sp534 plugs, 170 t-stat, 3 bar sensor.
2013 explorer (wifeys car)
2002 Orange Camaro SS-sold

SwampRat

Quote from: 2010SHOtime on March 11, 2014, 12:15:06 AM
Hi all, I apologize if this has been talked about before but I just wanted to see if there is more of a benefit to go with the whole K&N set up or can I get the same gains(if any is to be had) with a drop in filter into the stock setup? Other than looks is there a performance benefit?

Thanks for the advice!
No real world performance benefit  with the Full K & N  CAI ... K & N drop in filter is a good option and many like it .

Most Folks go with the CAI for the eye-candy appeal and cause it sounds cool cause you can hear the turbos spool up better , same with AirAid .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

I'd say, based on testing I participated in... that you could just use the stock airbox and filter for optimum performance.  I know the claims made from all the main manufacturers (albeit NOT with a 2013+ SHO).  Here's the data I have:

On the day when 4DR and I used my SHO (stock tune) to test 3 sets of the PPE downpipes on the dyno at Black Market Racing/Full Race (catted, Non-catted, and thermal coated catted)... (9 pulls-3 per set) ...We also did the following... in one pull we completely disconnected the OEM airbox from the intake tube (the saxophone tube going to turbos) and set it aside so we just had the tubing and no filter or CAI. We had the hood up, a big cooling fan on the motor, and back to back dynos with the same operator. temp was 79 and humidity was 30%

Result... less than three HP difference (same forTQ) between OEM CAI and filter and no filter or CAI at all.... 2-3 HP is not a significant change and lies within margin of error.  I believe that any restriction to air flow in the SHO is after the filter.  We know it can use more air than it does bone stock... we got 17HP increase with the PPE DPs over stock DPs with or without the CAI/filter.  Currently I believe the stock CAI and filter can deliver all the air the engine can use.

If you want some more sound from under the hood or like it as eye candy... go for it, nothing wrong with that.

But currently I can't personally recommend anything over the stock box based on the data if performance is the issue.

If you want better filtration try another filter. I hate oil filters... I bet you will too, hassle and oil gets where it shouldn't.

That's my 2 cents... sorry to seem like a rant.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

I agree with Tom except that oiled filters have always worked fine for me.  I've used them in at least a dozen cars over the years.  Never the hint of an issue.

2010SHOtime

Thanks guys, that's a lot of great info! I figured there wasn't much HP to be gained but wasn't sure if I'd get the same spooling sound with just the drop in vs. The full setup?

DJE624

I guess I should add that I didn't care for the sound of the turbos spooling with my Typhoon.  It was kind of raspy to me.  But I do have sensitive ears.

SHO n GO

The stock airbox dose a good job of keeping the noise down, i dont think you would hear the turbos much with just a drop in filter. I was going to do the drop in on my car but came across a deal i couldnt pass up for the typhoon (thanks DJE =]) . I love it, i have noticed the tubos are alittle raspy like DJE said but its only when under lower boost/easy driving. But when you put your footdown and start making some good boost the rasp goes away and they sound great!
2013 non PP
Livernois 93 tune, 3bar, t-stat, K&n drop in filter, tsw nurburings
Best pass to date with sho- 12.54 @ 113

SRT82ECOBOOST

2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

ONLYA6

K&N drop in filter. Apply $250 towards parts that will actually make your car go faster. /thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven

2013 Taurus SHO - Best ET 12.7/ MPH 110
1999 Mustang V6 - Turbo - 474 whp 431 wtq

DJE624

Quote from: SHO n GO on March 11, 2014, 10:07:27 AM
The stock airbox dose a good job of keeping the noise down, i dont think you would hear the turbos much with just a drop in filter. I was going to do the drop in on my car but came across a deal i couldnt pass up for the typhoon (thanks DJE =]) . I love it, i have noticed the tubos are alittle raspy like DJE said but its only when under lower boost/easy driving. But when you put your footdown and start making some good boost the rasp goes away and they sound great!

Thanks!  I'm actually glad you noticed what I was talking about.  It was the same in mine under low boost acceleration. 

REDSHOCGO

I have tried both the drop in air filter from  k and N and now have a typhoon. The drop in does not sound any different from the Oem filter. As for performance I did not feel any seat of the pants difference. For the Typhoon performance remains the same however the noise fluff with it is pretty great IMO.
2010 Red Candy Sho 402a option non/pp w/unleashed tune,3 bar map, k & N CAI, Corsa catback exhaust, tints 35% front 20% back vta conversion,plastidipped front grill (matteblack), Curva Concept C7 wheels w/20" toyo proxes +4 and Sony Xperia z running torque pro
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited tinted
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP cpe w/crab intake,Led sequential taillights, custom exhaust(now gone)

2010SHOtime

Thanks guys! A lot of great info and I think I'll wait a bit and just go with the entire setup instead of drop in.

black99lightning

2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

Needmoreboost

I have the K&N drop in panel filter with a slightly modified stock airbox.  So I get the intake sounds like the Typhoon or Airraid for just the price of the panel.  I did this by making a 4 by 3 inch opening down low in the fender/headlight well side of the airbox.  So I still get the benefits of cold air from the front via factory intake tube and less restriction than sealed stock airbox.   I also opened up the radiator valance where the stock slit for air comes in (about 4x larger) and cut the the weather stripping to open the air flow at the edge where the hood comes down.  A little ram airish...  Some people like to spend money.  :)
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

Brucelinc

Quote from: Needmoreboost on March 12, 2014, 02:56:21 PM
I have the K&N drop in panel filter with a slightly modified stock airbox.  So I get the intake sounds like the Typhoon or Airraid for just the price of the panel.  I did this by making a 4 by 3 inch opening down low in the fender/headlight well side of the airbox.  So I still get the benefits of cold air from the front via factory intake tube and less restriction than sealed stock airbox.   I also opened up the radiator valance where the stock slit for air comes in (about 4x larger) and cut the the weather stripping to open the air flow at the edge where the hood comes down.  A little ram airish...  Some people like to spend money.  :)

I did exactly the same thing - I used PVC drain pipe to plumb from the hole in the airbox to an area in the inner fender that is open to outside air.