• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Plug change

Started by Larrylu, February 09, 2014, 05:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

It's all good there my friend.

Was just answering the questions, and posting the images accordingly.

I don't recall being any type of performance enhancement if memory serves correctly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

DJE624

I'll have to see if it still has it when I re tune for the DP's.

Larrylu

I'd ask to keep it if I were you. I really think it's a nice little personality change. Not on a trip of course. But around town or for spirited driving I really can feel a difference. As I remember TSS turned his best 0 to 60 times with that mode. Truth is the paddles are something I tend to use the least. To get a different sporty auto shifting mode without really loosing the use of the paddles is really very cool!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

DJE624

I already got the DP/TStat tune.  I'll see how it is when I load it.  I can always make a couple adjustments when I do the 3 Bar. Should have it all together for April 6th at Great Lakes for my 12 sec runs!

DJE624

Ok.  From what I could tell from a short ride, when in m, it does shift by itself as you accelerate.  I couldn't  do any Wots.  It also seemed to hold the gear when I let off too. I'll be doing some more testing.

Edit-Larry,  your description seems right on.

Larrylu

Great Dave. For myself I'm glad to now finally see a bit of open accountability for un intended results. If I acquired the Grade Assist by accident I'm thinking I may have lost my up shift from a standstill as an un intended result in the removal of the Grade Assist. So back to my original 4+ for some more testing. Hoping I'm not developing a tranny issue.
I also noticed a subtle but definitely noticeable and repeatable fan belt sort of a squeal at upper RPM that I did not notice pre plug change. I'm sure it's not directly related but may just have shown up in the post plug change WOTs. Wonder what it is......
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Brucelinc

Larry, any update on this?  Did you figure out what was going on with the failure to shift?

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 11, 2014, 07:39:46 PM
Larry, any update on this?  Did you figure out what was going on with the failure to shift?

I've been waiting to be as definite as possible but here's where I am right now. I swapped out my revised 4+ back to my original 4+ ...the one with the bonus grade assist. That cured the no shift in drive from a standing start. All else seems fine and my grade assist quirk is back. I missed it!  Probably associated with relearning after a flash, but I recorded a high boost of 13.5 which is definitely good for me. I'd love to think it was tune or plug related but I doubt that.

I also noticed during my initial WOT testing runs, a short squeal at the top of the gear that sounded like a belt slip.  Never had heard that sound before so I did a little reading online and found a little on that symptom from the truck crowd, but nothing from the transverse. I'm going into my dealership today for them to check my belt and tensioning arm. In the meantime -6 this morning and looks like we will get around another foot of snow tomorrow. I'm so tired of this winter....can't wait for spring!

Brucelinc

Glad to hear the "no shift" issue was resolved by going back to the original 4+ tune.  The noise you hear must be a belt...or could it be a loose clamp that is creating an air leak that sounds like a squeal?

If your old plugs had eroded to .040, you might have been experiencing some spark blow out at high boost levels before the change.  Do you think the new plugs made a noticeable difference? 

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 12, 2014, 11:41:45 AM
Glad to hear the "no shift" issue was resolved by going back to the original 4+ tune.  The noise you hear must be a belt...or could it be a loose clamp that is creating an air leak that sounds like a squeal?

If your old plugs had eroded to .040, you might have been experiencing some spark blow out at high boost levels before the change.  Do you think the new plugs made a noticeable difference?

Well I don't really know how spark blow out would manifest. I did not have any stumbles or breaking up under load or at RPM that I was aware of at all. But I did wonder why my boost seemed to be a little lower than what I expected based on what others were getting. So of course I hoped the plugs if blowing out, would cause the uber smart ECM to lower my boost as well as some other things I could not even imagine, to keep me nannied and safe. The boost seems higher, at least in one instance, though the butt dyno is unconvincing so far. Glad I did the plugs in any case though. If I learn anything of interest about my squeal at the dealer I'll post it up!

Larrylu

Well I'm back from a dealer visit and the results were not what I had expected. The tech test drove the car and not only duplicated my squeal noise but it threw a couple of codes (PO238 turbo boost sensor high and PO234 over boost condition) which it had not done for me. He traced it to a vacuum leak at the fuel PSI sensor hose connection. Now my boost numbers would not impress anyone but the car is sure running strong. I don't know cause I've changed a whole bunch of things at once so it's tough to know exactly why but wow it is running really fine now!

SHOdded

Hard to argue with good results!  Looking forward to your continued reporting on the "original" 4+ tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

Glad you nailed it down Larry!  Happy motoring!

BiGMaC

Great news Larry!... glad you get all your boost now... why didn't Ford put a boost gage in a turboed car.... ????

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock