• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Alternative drop in air filters

Started by pejohnson, March 06, 2014, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHeartGroceries

Excellent! Thanks for sharing that!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

SHOdded

aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filters
    StyleAFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter
    Vehicle 2010 Ford Taurus
    Submodel 3.5L V6
    AutoAnything SKU3766357
    Part Number31-10215

AA15 coupon code (15% off) $44.16 shipped.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

I have an Airaid oiled filter but was never completely sold on them.  They really can be a PITA to clean and re-oil.  The first time I cleaned a K&N filter it took almost 3 days to dry, so I needed an extra filter to put in the car.  Then when I re-oiled it, I used a bunch too much and had oil dripping out of the filter, so when re-oil the filter it is best to use just a touch of oil, wait at least 20 minutes to see if the oil has completely soaked through the gauze, and it not, a touch more and again wait to make sure you haven't overoiled it and clean all the oil off the non-gauze areas of the filter.  With the Airaid filter, I have found it stays much cleaner running it with the pre-filter, but again I'm sure the pre-filter adds some restriction.  I know when it's time to replace the filter I'm getting the Airaid dry filter.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Odrapnew

My first reply on this forum, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

If your car is stock, I would stick to the factory filter.  The oiled cotton/gauze may flow better at very high flows, but factory cars don't need it(and modified cars may not benefit much either).  On top of that, they are terribly inefficient compared to a factory paper filter.  In my company, if we had a filter with an efficiency as low as the K&N, we'd be looking for problems.  If you do choose to put a K&N on, DO NOT clean it often(maybe every 50K miles unless you are in very dusty environments).  You should really change/clean the filter based on restriction and not time, but we don't have that luxury of having something tell us that the filter is restricted(at least not factory on most passenger vehicles).
2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport - Stock
1989 5.0 Mustang - Many Mods, 437rwhp

krdiesel

On the 6.0 powerstrokes using a oiled filter was bad news. The oil would coat the MAF and cause strange things to happen.  Plus the factory filter was excellent for keeping dust out of the turbo. 

BiGMaC

In my mind the question, beyond the filtration effectiveness debate, is whether the engine can use anymore airflow and where the airflow restriction might be. I always assumed it was the stock air box, filter and intake.... I don't believe that anymore.
Check out the data here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2270.msg32717#msg32717

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

griggs95

Most everybody has been so pro oil and pre oil filter I've never thought to bring this up either. I've got two sho's, a 10 and 11 and been using the stock air boxes to date. I've had so many problems in the past with oil filters in my construction trucks (all Ford) that I stopped using them entirely.
I run Amsoil in everything I have and it has served me very well, including there air filters in two of my mustangs. I run the EaA221 drop in air filter. I've run 30k miles through one sho and 17k through the other. This filter is suppose to out perform paper and gauze filters in all the tests that I've seen so far and I don't see that they are wrong yet.

Just another product that you all may not be aware of. I just got tired of oil up mass airs needing to be replaced unnecessarily. Check it out people, hope it helps your sho too.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

MeanKS

Quote from: griggs95 on March 14, 2014, 02:56:58 PM
Most everybody has been so pro oil and pre oil filter I've never thought to bring this up either. I've got two sho's, a 10 and 11 and been using the stock air boxes to date. I've had so many problems in the past with oil filters in my construction trucks (all Ford) that I stopped using them entirely.
I run Amsoil in everything I have and it has served me very well, including there air filters in two of my mustangs. I run the EaA221 drop in air filter. I've run 30k miles through one sho and 17k through the other. This filter is suppose to out perform paper and gauze filters in all the tests that I've seen so far and I don't see that they are wrong yet.

Just another product that you all may not be aware of. I just got tired of oil up mass airs needing to be replaced unnecessarily. Check it out people, hope it helps your sho too.

that filter doesn't seem to be available anymore.  has the code changed?
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Those interested in the Amsoil products can find them for the SHO (and presumably Flex/XSport) here:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/VehicleLookupPage.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=2010+FORD+TAURUS+T

Air Filter is EAA221, but not listed on the website for sale anymore.  Maybe an error of omission?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

griggs95

I called Amsoil today and wanted to order an extra filter in case of discontinuation and to my surprise, that is already the case.
EaA221 is the correct number. I highly recommend trying to track one down if you can. Amsoil claims the filter is only guaranteed for 100k miles of normal driving conditions.
Wix is now the replacement part. The dealer told me that they weren't profitable for the company so that's the reason for the discontinuation :-(
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

pejohnson

The aFe filter listed below does not fit a 2013 SHO.  I went to their website and they don't have any listed that will fit.  I measured my stock filter and it is 12" x 6.75".  Am I missing something here?  I am looking for an oil-less filter.  Preferably a filter that is free flowing, cleanable and will fit in the OEM air box.  Thanks

Quote from: SHOdded on March 06, 2014, 11:16:39 PM
    aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filters
    StyleAFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter
    Vehicle 2010 Ford Taurus
    Submodel 3.5L V6
    AutoAnything SKU3766357
    Part Number31-10215

AA15 coupon code (15% off) $44.16 shipped.
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

pejohnson

Call aFe and they don't make a filter for the 13 SHOs. Ordered a K&N filter today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: pejohnson on March 23, 2014, 10:04:46 PM
Call aFe and they don't make a filter for the 13 SHOs. Ordered a K&N filter today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gen 4.1 and 4.2 filter housings are the same.

SwampRat

2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST