• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Alternative drop in air filters

Started by pejohnson, March 06, 2014, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pejohnson

Are there any other after market drop in air filters other than K&N?  I personally think the factory box is a very good design and want a more free flowing filter.  I have used K&N in past and like there product.  My only concern is using the right amount of oil.  I am curious if there are any dry filters that can be cleaned and still perform well. 
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

Brucelinc

I don't know of any alternative drop-in filters - other than the stock one.  How often would you need to wash and re-oil a K & N drop-in filter?  The instructions suggest 50,000 miles.  I never drive in dusty conditions and all I do is take the filter out and knock any bugs out of it once in a while.

I also modified my air box with a 3 inch hole in the left side and PVC drain pipe plumbed to an open space in the inner fender.  I have no idea if that helps anything but it added some sound fluff.

Larrylu

Quote from: Brucelinc on March 06, 2014, 10:30:24 AM
I don't know of any alternative drop-in filters - other than the stock one.  How often would you need to wash and re-oil a K & N drop-in filter?  The instructions suggest 50,000 miles.  I never drive in dusty conditions and all I do is take the filter out and knock any bugs out of it once in a while.

I also modified my air box with a 3 inch hole in the left side and PVC drain pipe plumbed to an open space in the inner fender.  I have no idea if that helps anything but it added some sound fluff.
I have thought about that very idea myself. How and where did you punch through?  I'd love yo see some pictures of that mod.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

IHeartGroceries

We need to get somebody involved with developing a good dry flow for EB applications. AEM, for example. I'm running the K&N now, but I've never been sold on oiled filters. Seems to be alot of fixed data out there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Joleat

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 06, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
We need to get somebody involved with developing a good dry flow for EB applications. AEM, for example. I'm running the K&N now, but I've never been sold on oiled filters. Seems to be alot of fixed data out there.

I've used oiled filters in the past and I've been very careful about the amount of oil used when "recharging" the filter. I don't know that the use of the oiled filter had any positive impact on the performance of the vehicle, but the placebo effect had me convinced that it did at the time. I later spent a couple of years as a shop manager and I saw a lot of gummy throttle bodies on vehicles with CAIs and oiled filters. Ultimately, that was enough evidence for me to avoid the use of oiled filters in my personal vehicles. Some time later, I stumbled across the video I've provided below. Use your own judgment, but I personally think the performance filters are more marketing hype than anything.

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

Brucelinc

It is difficult to have our cake and eat it, too.  Without the oil, the cotton gauze filter like K & N would not catch enough dirt to be effective.  If they elimintated the oil but added more paper and/or cotton gauze to improve the filtering capability, it wouldn't flow as well.

I have never had the need to clean and re-oil a K & N filter so I can't speak from experience but I wonder if some people who do re-oil get carried away with using too much.  In any case, I suspect the performance benefit is minimal but the placebo effect is alive and well.  I like the sound better, too.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Joleat on March 06, 2014, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 06, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

I've used oiled filters in the past and I've been very careful about the amount of oil used when "recharging" the filter. I don't know that the use of the oiled filter had any positive impact on the performance of the vehicle, but the placebo effect had me convinced that it did at the time. I later spent a couple of years as a shop manager and I saw a lot of gummy throttle bodies on vehicles with CAIs and oiled filters. Ultimately, that was enough evidence for me to avoid the use of oiled filters in my personal vehicles. Some time later, I stumbled across the video I've provided below. Use your own judgment, but I personally think the performance filters are more marketing hype than anything.

Is there any evidence that the Motorcraft filter is inadequate?  It appears to provide all the flow that the engine can utilize (with out significant mods) based on dyno results.  I've posted a couple of places on the forum that in back to back open hood dyno pulls using my '13 SHO with a large external fan blowing on the engine at 79 degrees and about 30% humidity... first with the OEM intake and filter (6000 miles on it,  live on an unpaved dirt road) and then with the entire  filter box disconnected and moved aside aside so there is no restriction and just an open intake pipe showed less than 3 HP difference.... There is some "on the street" corroboration now also.
Just FYI..

IMHO any significant flow restriction is likely between induction opening after the OEM box and exhaust tips.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

IHeartGroceries

I haven't seen any specific evidence. However, I think it is generally accepted that cotton elements flow better than paper. And the OE is paper, which is pretty typical.

The AEM cotton gauze is oil less, but unless I am mistaken, it is a filter developed by K&N. They even look like K&N filters.

I've used both K&N oiled and AEM cotton dry flow filters, albeit not on the SHO. Just the OE filter and the oiled K&N on the SHO.

I'd rather not mess about with the oil, especially seeing as there's a lot of data out there suggesting the AEM dry flow is a great filter, and I've personally had a good experience with then. The oil is a mess both inside and out of the engine/intake tract. Plus, there's information out there touting the effectiveness.

Also, the dry flow is cleanable, just like the oiled units.

2013 SHO PP

Brucelinc

It sounds like the AEM filter is just what the OP is looking for.

BiGMaC

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 06, 2014, 01:23:27 PM
I haven't seen any specific evidence. However, I think it is generally accepted that cotton elements flow better than paper. And the OE is paper, which is pretty typical.

The AEM cotton gauze is oil less, but unless I am mistaken, it is a filter developed by K&N. They even look like K&N filters.

I've used both K&N oiled and AEM cotton dry flow filters, albeit not on the SHO. Just the OE filter and the oiled K&N on the SHO.

I'd rather not mess about with the oil, especially seeing as there's a lot of data out there suggesting the AEM dry flow is a great filter, and I've personally had a good experience with then. The oil is a mess both inside and out of the engine/intake tract. Plus, there's information out there touting the effectiveness.

Also, the dry flow is cleanable, just like the oiled units.

iHG..... I Completely agree with you on all points... In fact no matter what we do an oiled filter will be oiling our induction tubing,turbos and beyond....
My comment was related to high flow and performance...

The point in my last post was that I haven't seen any evidence that the 3.5 EB can utilize any more flow than the stock box and OEM filter provide unless mods other than downpipes are done (at least that it can't translate it into performance) ... Sorry if I confused folks.  I realize other issues may be at play.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

IHeartGroceries

Oh, I see what you're saying now.

Only thing I might add is that restriction is restriction. Any induction can benefit from reducing restriction. Generally, improvements to the intake, such as aftermarket solutions, reduce restriction, and usually also increase diameter, which would manipulate/incrase volume.

Additionally, if you're comparing paper to cotton, it is also worth analysing filtration effectiveness and efficiency.

2013 SHO PP

20ecoboost10

I have had the AFE dry filter in my Flex for about eight months now since I removed the Airaid CAI filter setup

Good fit in the stock box and seems to be well made

http://www.afeintakestore.com/afe-air-filter-31-10215-ford-edge-taurus-flex-fusion.html
2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost

pejohnson

Ohhh this may be the ticket for me.  Looks like it should fit a 13' SHO. 

Quote from: 20ecoboost10 on March 06, 2014, 05:55:13 PM
I have had the AFE dry filter in my Flex for about eight months now since I removed the Airaid CAI filter setup

Good fit in the stock box and seems to be well made

http://www.afeintakestore.com/afe-air-filter-31-10215-ford-edge-taurus-flex-fusion.html
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

DJE624

If I didn't already have the K&N, I would try it.

20ecoboost10

I bought the AFE filter from Summit Racing $50.95 shipped, was the best price I could find for it back then
2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost