• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HID headlamp upgrade EVOX-R

Started by ShoBoat, March 05, 2014, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Quote from: explorergotoluvit on March 08, 2014, 11:04:40 PM
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1742.0

here is how mine turned out not evox-r  but a retrofit
Those turned out awesome! Those look so much better than our 2011 Explorer with OEM HID. I am debating on which projector to install. But The FX-R's are at the top of my list! I didn't get a chance to break them open today, will for sure tomorrow. With the space in the housing I am thinking that I might just fit a set of LS460's in there. Won't know for sure until then.   

Funny thing, these headlight assemblies (Halogen) from ford parts .com are $650 each?? The HID (without bulbs or ballasts) are $597. Weird.....

Quick Question did they use the 3" or the 2.5 for your retro?
Thanks
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

explorergotoluvit

Ya i always say after market is always better then factory but yes i had a limited as well and the fxr performance ten times better lot more out put sometimes i would get in my limited and think i didn't even have hids..
2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites

ShoBoat

Ok so some fun today lol. Not so much, I tried the bake method with the housings. Right I don't think so, the temp needed was causing the back of the housing to soften too much and was not working. These are after all permasealed. So out came the Dremel, yes I know I had to cut the lenses off the housings. The good thing is that there were easy to cut off and lots of area to reattach once all the mods are done. I will get them painted tomorrow and order my new projectors. I Should have no problem installing the FX-R's in there.   

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

explorergotoluvit

you they replacing factory hid or halogen? if halogen are you make a wiring harness?
2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites

SHOdded

Man, those pics are TINY!!!  Dremeling seems to be the way to go for modern headlamps as they make advances with plastic welding.  Still need to get a good adhesive to put the pieces back together, maybe contact cement of some sort?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

I will be using the OEM 9006 connections for the HID, I have 55W Morimoto ballasts now, I will use them the same way as now with a relay harness. The only difference will be the new D2S bulbs. I will use rubber butyl to re seal the headlights. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/oci-butyl-rubber-glue-48823.html#.Ux1Bbl6ppiU The new paint scheme will be cool. Originally I was going to go all black, but now I am thinking just the gray I will paint to match, as the rest of the headlight is chrome and black already. A friend of mine is looking into doing a custom SHO badge for the housing and replacing the Ford. If he can do it that would definitely make them one of a kind! 

Also, now that I have them apart the lenses are most of the problem with our projectors, they are ridiculously cloudy and they have a slight color shift to yellow. Weird, I guess they are very cheap material.

HID 4 by sho.boat, on Flickr

HID by sho.boat, on Flickr

BiGMaC

I'll,be watching... good start.... take pics and keep track of what you do so you can post a "how to" please.
:beer2:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ShoBoat

ShoBoat

So an update! I got my kit from UPS today and more fun lol. One of the projectors was DOA, I called The retrofit source and they promptly shipped me a new one but I was not impressed to say the least. The assemblies are painted and I am now fabricating some adapter plates to mount the new projectors, but they fit nicely without to much modification. Check out the pics for the messed up projector bowl and the dry fit for the new projectors.

SHOdded

The dry fit looks good!  Noticing a bit of an uptick in issues with TRS products, hope they are working on correction.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Fitting complete, wow what a PITA. I had to shave the brackets to reduce the mounting depth by 2mm to ensure a proper gap with the OEM housing. The EVOX-r's are about 2mm shorter.See pics for the final result. I should have them in this weekend and will post final results. Once I get a chance I will post a how to with lots of pics. Excuse all the fingerprints on the housings, they will be cleaned and buffed before sealing the lenses.

SHOdded

You should sign the inside (a la Apple) before sealing up the lenses!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on March 17, 2014, 11:47:01 AM
You should sign the inside (a la Apple) before sealing up the lenses!

VERY cool idea Manu.... Ultimate personalization!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ShoBoat

ShoBoat

All done! I will be installing them tonight.