• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HID headlamp upgrade EVOX-R

Started by ShoBoat, March 05, 2014, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

Hey Guys,
Ever since doing the LED treatment to my SHO last year I have been wanting to upgrade the projectors in the headlight assemblies. Mine being a Canadian car it didn't come with HID OEM. (Don't get me started). Let's face fact the OEM HID projectors leave something to be desired (We also own a 2011 Explorer with OEM HID) poor light spread, bad hot spots ect. Apparently most fords come with a either a Valeo D3S / Halogen projector (this is what is most likley in the cars SHO/MKS, Fusion) or the Hella E55 projector (like in the 2013 F150). Either way this should drop right in.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors/morimoto-evox-r-bi-xenon-projectors-48636.html#.UxdaBF6ppiV

Performance highlights: Coming standard with a 3" clear lens and a mirror finish reflector bowl, the EvoX-R manages to make plenty of light. With a proper gradient of intensity from the cutoff line downwards in its low beam, and amazing table-top pattern high beam, you'll easily be blowing away Benzes at night with these.
Their bolt pattern is identical to older Hella 3" halogen, xenon, and bi-xenon projectors - so can be used as a direct bolt on upgrade to OEM or aftermarket housings that use these designs.

I am planning to pick up a pair of new take off headlight assemblies (Halogen) this weekend to experiment on. I was planning to get them color match painted any way, this will allow me to take my time with them and once completed install the take off's and sell mine. Once I have the headlight assemblies torn down I will start to post some pics for anyone interested. Cheers!

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Exciting!!!  I think the first such upgrade on this forum.  Watching closely, and good luck with the project.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SwampRat

Looks promising for sure ..
I've looked at there site before as I'm looking for a sealed (weatherproof) HID projector assy  that can be mounted outside of a headlight shell  , to no avail .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Looks like a cool find!.... Good luck, hope it works out.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 05, 2014, 09:58:43 PM

Projector mods / upgrades are actually fairly common . A lot of folks wont attempt it because you have to take the shell assy. apart and reseal it .  Morimoto has some GOOD stuff to , but more expensive .

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits.html?___store=trsdefaultview

2021 Edge ST

ShoBoat

^ very true! but no harder to accomplish than lets say installing a set of springs. The Evox-R's might be a bit cheaper than some of the other projectors out there, but my hope is that these will bolt into the OEM location and just plug in. Take a note from this forum and this fellow that is upgrading his Raptor. He purchased a brand new set of OEM F150 headlamps and opened them up right away lol! From his findings the aftermarket projector drops right into OEM housing and even plugged into the factory wiring to ensure that the eyelid function correctly. No cutting or hacking! Nothing turns me off more than taking a Dremel to a nice new headlight assembly to shoehorn a big projector into it. This should look completely stock with increased functionality and visibility. There is nothing worse than jamming HID's into a headlight designed for Halogen bulbs. (My case) but for those of you that want more I hope this works!

http://www.f150online.com/forums/illumination-lighting/477553-2013-ford-oem-hid-headlights-now-available.html
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Good read with pics!  Also consider connecting to the 20A fuses 57 & 78 normally used in OEM HID equipped SHO's (listings start on pg 281 of OM).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BigPelo

Subscribe! Having a Canadian SHO with upgraded HID in halogen projectors, I know how I could benefit from this. In fact I was on theretrofitsource.com website 1-2 weeks ago but didn't know exactly what to buy. Please take pictures and post an "how-to"!
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SwampRat on March 05, 2014, 10:38:30 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on March 05, 2014, 09:58:43 PM

Projector mods / upgrades are actually fairly common . A lot of folks wont attempt it because you have to take the shell assy. apart and reseal it .  Morimoto has some GOOD stuff to , but more expensive .

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits.html?___store=trsdefaultview

I use to do this for forum members when I had my 08 Malibu, projector retrofits. Depending on how you/who seals the headlight, theres specific material such as 3M window glue to create a moisture-free seal.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

ShoBoat

I picked up my new take offs today, and I have to say they are mint! Really stoked about this mod, after inspecting the headlights without the bottom plate it really looks like a Evox-r type projector. However I don't think that will matter, the chamber behind the plastic cover looks huge. I think we can fit pretty much any projector in there, we shall see. Interesting these say Ford and not Taurus in front of the projector, I think because they were off a limited and not a SHO. I think I will keep the Ford I think it looks kinda cool, also with the De-badge I have done to the car it was the only spot left that had Taurus on it. If I can custom make something up that says SHO I might go that route. I am going to take one apart either later tonight or tomorrow and I will have pics of the internals for you guys. 

BigPelo

How much did you pay the headlight assembly?
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

ShoBoat

SwampRat

Quote from: ShoBoat on March 08, 2014, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: BigPelo on March 08, 2014, 04:58:29 PM
How much did you pay the headlight assembly?
$200 each.

Not bad .... are you going to use the HID ballasts that are in them or use aftermarket ones ?
The projectors you are going to use are Hella replacements .

2021 Edge ST

ShoBoat

These are the Halogen projectors, same as mine. I will use aftermarket ballasts and D2S bulbs (the OEM uses D3S bulbs). I decided to go this route as I didn't want to plug the hole in the bottom of the assembly where the factory ballast bolts in. The assemblies are identical with the exception of the color scheme and the projectors. The lenses are even identical between HID and Halogen (even the MKS use the same dimpled lens) Which is fuzzy and messes with the color of the HID's. Our explorer has a horrible cut off and they look more like the color of HIR halogen bulbs than true HID's. When I first got mine I thought they were HID, until I noticed a few days later driving at night the intensity wasn't there. The mounts for the projectors are the same. I was planning on using the Evox-r projectors (Hella E55). But until I get them apart I won't be sure. The Evox-r's are a decent step up from what's in there now. But there are better offerings to be had, I just want to be able to use the OEM level adjustment and not have to hack the assembly to fit something else in there. That said there is a ton of room in the assembly lol. More to come!
The SHO HID assemblies are below, note the hole in the bottom for the OEM ballasts, this is present in the Halogen ones to. It's just missing the cutout.

This guy has a ton of info on the different light output of different projectors, as you can see in his comparisons not all projectors are created equal. And after hours on the highway at night. Tired eyes are your worst enemy!
http://jvxdriver.com/bixenon_comparison.htm

explorergotoluvit

2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites