• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Video of BOV's after intake and Stage 4 tune

Started by 3POINT5, March 04, 2014, 12:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHeartGroceries

Well, I suppose they're mechanical still, since Big verified they've still got a spring. But, they are electronically actuated. The Tial units you've got, I'm sure, are vacuum actuated.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

SwampRat

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on March 05, 2014, 08:26:29 PM
Well, I suppose they're mechanical still, since Big verified they've still got a spring. But, they are electronically actuated. The Tial units you've got, I'm sure, are vacuum actuated.

So it is a separate solenoid that  controls the vacuum actuation of  the BOV  on the 13 ?
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

painterpatt

That's how mine sounds, (you can hear my vta BOV's also) especially after the tune. Makes all kinda noises, 4DR's did the same thing if you watch any of his in car videos
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

IHeartGroceries

The whistly reverb sound after the valve actuation whoosh is definitely not good. A fluttering valve is one thing. But you shouldn't be hearing a low toned whistle.

IMO, a correctly suited, sized, or adjusted BOV won't flutter and won't whistle. It should just be a clean, solid sneeze sound.

2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on March 05, 2014, 08:33:25 PM
So it is a separate solenoid that  controls the vacuum actuation of  the BOV  on the 13 ?

I don't know what causes the BoV's to open... but it does it by sending an electrical current to the solenoid in the '13 BoV... There are no vacuum lines to the BoVs.  The spring is very light and closes the valve... possibly magnets, I did not dismantle them

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 05, 2014, 09:45:54 PM

I don't know what causes the BoV's to open... but it does it by sending an electrical current to the solenoid in the '13 BoV... There are no vacuum lines to the BoVs.  The spring is very light and closes the valve... possibly magnets, I did not dismantle them

OK .... the Kit that 4DR sells with the TIAL BOV is mechanical and is what I got from You ...

I haven't looked at it yet . I won't be home till the weekend .

Vacuum to the Tial BOV is not a problem , I  think .
The question is with the OEM 13 BOV's not present and the wiring not plugged in , will the ECU have issues with this and trigger a fault ?

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on March 05, 2014, 09:58:44 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on March 05, 2014, 09:45:54 PM

OK .... the Kit that 4DR sells with the TIAL BOV is mechanical and is what I got from You ...

I haven't looked at it yet . I won't be home till the weekend .

Vacuum to the Tial BOV is not a problem , I  think .
The question is with the OEM 13 BOV's not present and the wiring not plugged in , will the ECU have issues with this and trigger a fault ?

correct... works fine per 4DR... the springs are changeable and I think also adjustable for setting the pressure to open.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 05, 2014, 10:00:59 PM

correct... works fine per 4DR... the springs are changeable and I think also adjustable for setting the pressure to open.

The question is with the OEM 13 BOV's not present and the wiring not plugged in , will the ECU have issues with this and trigger a fault  or code ?

2021 Edge ST

bpd1151

If you unplug the factory BOV's, I believe you will throw a CEL.

IIRC, I think 4DR was suggesting leaving them plugged in, but zip tie them out of the way (for those using the Tial BOV).

I also think 4DR mentioned something about having a work-around, or a fix to the CEL potential, if one wanted to unplug the factory BOV's as well.

Hopefully he'll chime in, when he has a moment to do so.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SwampRat

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 05, 2014, 10:15:34 PM

IIRC, I think 4DR was suggesting leaving them plugged in, but zip tie them out of the way (for those using the Tial BOV).

I also think 4DR mentioned something about having a work-around, or a fix to the CEL potential, if one wanted to unplug the factory BOV's as well.

Thanks for the info ...rather do a work-around .
Extra stuff hanging around in the engine bay   ....  a little messy .

I wonder if Torrie could tune it out ?

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on March 05, 2014, 10:20:11 PM
Quote from: bpd1151 on March 05, 2014, 10:15:34 PM

Thanks for the info ...rather do a work-around .
Extra stuff hanging around in the engine bay   ....  a little messy .

I wonder if Torrie could tune it out ?

Actually you can unplug the front BoV entirely without a problem.  4Dr says to leave the back BoV plugged in  to the electric wiring plug and secure it ... then no CEL and it's hidden under the engine cover.  The work around 4DR was working on was a resistor replacing the back BoV that made the car think it was still there, but I don't know if he ever finished it...

Like bpd... hope he'll chime in.

painterpatt

You sure thats not wastegate noise releasing pressure before it builds on light throttle. Since my tune if I get on it hard and let off right before a shift I get the telltale pshhhh. Right after a shift a high pitch chirp, almost like a tire chirp.
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

IHeartGroceries

Yes, I would think your could run a purely mechanical unit just fine. All you'll need is the ability to fasten it, such as a flange, and do away with the electrical workings.

I doubt you're hearing any WG activity. I don't know how the control circuit works on the EB, but I'd assume there is a solenoid which bleeds vacuum away from a WGA diaphragm, which keeps the WG flapper closed inside the turbine housing, allowing more boost to build.
More vacuum on the WGA diaphragm actuates the WG, resulting in reducing boost pressure.

Generally these activities are near silent in OE configuration. Especially considering the control circuit solenoids are controlled by duty cycle, which means they're almost constantly working to actuate the wastegates.

2013 SHO PP

dalum

Mine are very audible with my K&N cai.  They actually stage because if I let off the gas just right I'll here one pfft after the first pfft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non-PP SHO

IHeartGroceries

I hear mine almost constantly. These electronic actuated units actuate so slightly, under the lightest throttle. It is crazy.

2013 SHO PP