• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Does the VTA mod make more noise than a K&N intake?

Started by Shonuff1140, March 10, 2014, 11:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonuff1140

Was wondering if I did the VTA if it would be even louder than the K&N air intake.

BiGMaC

I do not have a K&N... but the VTA with my hotpipes makes a brief Pfffffft when i roll in and out of the throttle driving around at any speed that is not audible inside the car is the radio is on at all and I can't here the turbos spooling in or out of the car.  Frankly that's how I like it... personal preference.

Maybe DJE or someone who has had the combo and others can chime in.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: chad1140 on March 10, 2014, 11:37:35 AM
Was wondering if I did the VTA if it would be even louder than the K&N air intake.

Two different sounds  BOV VTA  is   PPpffffrttt ... K & N and AirAid are similar with a deeper Wwwwiiiiiisssshhhh type sound .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: SwampRat on March 10, 2014, 01:00:30 PM
Quote from: chad1140 on March 10, 2014, 11:37:35 AM

Two different sounds  BOV VTA  is   PPpffffrttt ... K & and AirAid are similar with a deeper Wwwwiiiiiisssshhhh type sound .

SW.... Do you think the aftermarket CAIs make the sound louder as well as a different one?  I believe that's what the OP wants to get opinions on.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SwampRat

Not sure the VTA was done after I did CAI ..  it's just  two different types of sounds .You can hear the VTA over the Intake Woooossshhhh..

I believe the VTA with  a Tial BOV may sound a little different too.
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SRT82ECOBOOST

I guess I just do not see how the two noises are related between the VTA and the CAI.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

BiGMaC

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on March 10, 2014, 01:29:32 PM
I guess I just do not see how the two noises are related between the VTA and the CAI.

Truly I don't really either, but I've read alot about increased sound with CAI here. I am running VTA. 

My supposition would be that the BoVs and the CAI are just on opposite ends of the intake to intercooler air "column" with the turbos in between.  I personally think that the BoVs make a blow off sound while the open CAI lets you hear the turbos spooling up and down... like the sounds SW posted about.

Still waiting for other more knowledgeable comments on this .... a matter of "audible aesthetics" I think.

bamsho

Just installed my K&N Typhoon CAI.  I have noticed more of a sucking sound now and the VTA is not any louder than with the stock air box.  That's what I have noticed today.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

DJE624

Quote from: bamsho on March 10, 2014, 02:06:01 PM
Just installed my K&N Typhoon CAI.  I have noticed more of a sucking sound now and the VTA is not any louder than with the stock air box.  That's what I have noticed today.

That was my experience also.

SHO n GO

What those two said ^ VTA sound is the same pre and post CAI.
2013 non PP
Livernois 93 tune, 3bar, t-stat, K&n drop in filter, tsw nurburings
Best pass to date with sho- 12.54 @ 113

Kolk1

The 2 sounds have nothing to do with each other.

The intake will make you hear the turbos a little more during acceleration.

Making your BOVs Vent, only happens when you let off the throttle, so you get the PFftt sound coming out of the BOV.

So the sounds are coming from different parts, that don't effect each other.