• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

1-2 Second Engine Knock Upon Start - 3.5 EcoBoost

Started by Joleat, February 27, 2014, 10:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joleat

How many of you guys have experienced slight knock upon startup of your 3.5 EB? To me, it sounds like a low oil pressure knock, which is why it only lasts 1 or 2 seconds until the engine builds pressure. I've tracked it over my last 3 oil changes (15k miles total) and it happens every morning for the first start and every evening when I leave from work. It does not happen if the car has only been shutoff for an hour or so. For the first of the last three oil changes, I used Mobil 1 5w30 EP and a Mobil 1 filter. For the second and third of the last three oil changes, I used Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and a Purolator PureOne filter.

It's a quick "thud, thud, thud, thud, thud" and not a "tap". I usually count somewhere between 5-10 thuds and then it's nice and quiet.

I searched the ol' internet and it seems that quite a few people are experiencing this knock. One person even had their long block replaced under warranty. Some think blame the direct injection pump, but most others seem to think it is a normal characteristic of the 3.5 EcoBoost and don't feel that it is any reason to worry. With almost 50k miles on the odo, I'm ready to install a tune to spice things up a bit. I just want to make sure the engine isn't about to succumb to a catastrophic failure before I proceed with my plans!

Discuss.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Try Motorcraft filter next time.  Non-Motorcraft filters have been found to create these brief startup sounds.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Joleat

That's my next step. In my research, I noticed several people placing the blame on the oil filter valve. I just thought it was unlikely since I've used two different high quality filters. With that being said, I ordered an oil filter, air filter, cabin air filter, and spark plugs (534s) earlier today. All items are Motorcraft.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

SwampRat

Quote from: SHOdded on February 27, 2014, 11:32:48 PM
Try Motorcraft filter next time.  Non-Motorcraft filters have been found to create these brief startup sounds.
Most Motorcraft Oil Filters are made by Purolator .
I use Fram Ultra Guard , I don't have this  "problem"  and use full synthetic Valvoline 5w30 since my SHO was new  ( 1st at 2500 miles ) and just changed All for the 4th time at 17250 miles . Never had an issue with Fram or Synthetic Oil either .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

Quote from: SwampRat on February 28, 2014, 12:37:59 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on February 27, 2014, 11:32:48 PM
Most Motorcraft Oil Filters are made by Purolator .
Yeah, I don't know why.  Maybe certain engines are just off-spec enough to be sensitive to this issue?  In any case, just because Purolator manufactures a filter for Motorcraft doesn't mean the filter sold under their own label will be to the same spec.  Still high quality, no doubt, but ...  Will have to look to see if there is a direct comparison out there, maybe on BITOG?

And this may not mean anything, but if they have a TSB out on cam phaser mechanism possibly causing a lubrication bottleneck, it may be more prevalent than is assumed.  Something else to dig into!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

Reminds me of a common issue found on the Mazda MZR, which was due to a faulty lock pin in the variable valve timing actuator - number one symptom is a loud ticking/clacking for only the first couple of seconds at start-up. And it was due to slack in the timing chain, and the chain slapping against the underside of the valve cover very briefly.

Always began on cars with around 50-75K miles on the odo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

Brucelinc

I have never used anything but Motorcraft in my MKS and never had the problem.  However, I did have this issue occur with my wife's Taurus (non-ecoboost) when I used a Purolator filter.  I thought maybe that particular filter was defective but I am not sure.  Even though Purolator is a great name and they make Motorcraft filters, the specs could be different as SHOdded said.

Needmoreboost

If my car has been sitting for a while (week plus) I do the cold start prime method.  I hold down both the brake and accelerator pedal (to the floor) for 3 to 4 seconds.  The engine just turns over without starting until (priming the oil into the cylinders) I then let off the accelerator and car fires right up.  Might test that and see if your knock goes away.  FYI
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

SwampRat

Quote from: Needmoreboost on February 28, 2014, 09:17:15 AM
If my car has been sitting for a while (week plus) I do the cold start prime method.  I hold down both the brake and accelerator pedal (to the floor) for 3 to 4 seconds.  The engine just turns over without starting until (priming the oil into the cylinders) I then let off the accelerator and car fires right up.  Might test that and see if your knock goes away.  FYI
I learn something new everyday ...
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

n8rfastback

Mine has had a slight knock on startup for as long as I can remember it, it drives me nuts but hasn't caused any issues that I can tell.... I may try a different filter and see if I notice a difference
2010 SHO

futat2

I use Motorcraft filters on all my fords, believe it or not they make a top notch filter. Yes they are manufactured with a different company but to there specs. I would put one up to a K&N or Moble1 filter any day.
2013 SHO PP, Sparkly Black
bone stock (for now)
Got the windows tinted, 15% all around

TSS

I also only use Motorcraft filters and don't have that issue. Even at negative 13 degrees this morning. 
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

REDSHOCGO

I hear a slight tick at power up bit it goes away within a minute or two sounds like valves
2010 Red Candy Sho 402a option non/pp w/unleashed tune,3 bar map, k & N CAI, Corsa catback exhaust, tints 35% front 20% back vta conversion,plastidipped front grill (matteblack), Curva Concept C7 wheels w/20" toyo proxes +4 and Sony Xperia z running torque pro
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited tinted
2007 Pontiac G6 GTP cpe w/crab intake,Led sequential taillights, custom exhaust(now gone)

elund126

I had a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 liter. It had the cam phaser knocking which I had repaired. However, if I remember right, the opinion of all the forums I was on was to use Motorcraft filters only because there is a valve that keeps the oil where it needs to be when the motor is shut off.

However, on my 2010 SHO, I also have the knocking noise on cold start up. It hasn't gotten any worse and it has always been there, so I don't think it is hurting anything.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning