• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford Planning to Drop Microsoft for BlackBerry in Its Car Technology System

Started by dalum, February 24, 2014, 12:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhpadi

Interesting, I'm wondering what the computer gurus will think of the change?
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

BiGMaC

Interesting read.  May be good for consumers, but just as likely not... In the IT world Blackberry is avoided because of the faltering and concerns about lack of adequate support and continued development.  IMHO RIM (research in motion = blackberry) lost 95% of it's corporate worth over about 2 years because they didn't innovate or address consumer preferences.  Maybe they learned their lesson, but they are VERY small now as far as employees (= programmers).
I personally don't like the electronics in the 2013 Audi (which uses blackberry) and I drove several during the shopping that led to the SHO purchase, but that's personal preference.  I found it very "GM-like".

Maybe it's just a bargaining tool for Ford in negotiations with MS... For sure it will be interesting and sell a lot more Coastal software.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

futat2

2013 SHO PP, Sparkly Black
bone stock (for now)
Got the windows tinted, 15% all around

yowen

some Audis, most BMWs, and the Chrysler Pacifica use a blackberry system currently...

If RIM does indeed get Ford it'd be a huge win for them, not so sure if it would be for us, haha.

http://jalopnik.com/ford-reportedly-dumping-microsoft-for-blackberry-of-al-1529134645
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

SwampRat

Ford should just go with Linux ... its Bullet proof and is imbedded in more hardware in the World  than any other OS  out there for a reason .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

yowen

Quote from: SwampRat on February 24, 2014, 04:33:47 PM
Ford should just go with Linux ... its Bullet proof and is imbedded in more hardware in the World  than any other OS  out there for a reason .

Google is bringing an Android-based system to cars from GM, Honda, and Hyundai

That's what those manufacturers seem to think, haha (android is linux based).
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

FracaSHO

Quote from: futat2 on February 24, 2014, 03:54:01 PM
Ford should use Mac OSX.

You read my mind!  iFord would be awesome. Unfortunately, I don't think that would ever work. The problems people have with any apple iOS are MOSTLY user errors. People are scared of apple and are too lazy to take the time to learn how to properly use apple products and software. I will admit that if your gonna go apple, you have to go all in. It's truly the best way to fully utilize apple to its fullest potential. My lineup; Computer: MacBook pro. Phone: iPhone 5S. Tablet: iPad 2. Email and cloud account: iCloud.

Apple...it just works

On a side note: I basically gave up using voice activation on my sync. I only used it to make calls anyway. And now in IL we can't have a phone in our hands while driving period so that's an important feature.  I got sick of sync calling "Ford" when I said call "Wife."  I use Siri now and she gets the job done.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

crash712us

Yeah I don't believe blackberry is a good option. Aren't they almost dead any way? However OSX based system is fantastic idea, Apple is very user friendly and very intuitive. And as others have said it just works. I have been PC free for 6yrs now and have convinced family and friends to make the switch and they have never been happier.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

dalum

This has nothing directly to do with the BlackBerry line of phones, they are switching to the QNX OS which is owned by the company BlackBerry, who bought the original makers Research in Motion (RIM).  QNX is the industrial real-time OS that powers everything from automobiles and nuclear reactors to smartphones and satellites.  Ford switching from MS to BlackBerry basically brings them in line with what most of the world's automotive industry already has done.  QNX has reputation for being bullet proof of the RTOS http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_operating_systems.  QNX is a big player here but QNX is just the underlying OS. The thing you're interacting with is an application stack controlled by your vehicle manufacturer and I'm sure Ford will find a way to screw it up.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: dalum on February 25, 2014, 09:34:36 AM
Ford switching from MS to BlackBerry basically brings them in line with what most of the world's automotive industry already has done.  QNX has reputation for being bullet proof of the RTOS http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_operating_systems.  QNX is a big player here but QNX is just the underlying OS. The thing you're interacting with is an application stack controlled by your vehicle manufacturer and I'm sure Ford will find a way to screw it up.

I hope not, but fear your right dalum... I didn't get a survey to tell them what I thought, bet no one did.

I hope the option to upgrade to the new OS will exist and function properly with the cars CPU processor!

EcoPowerParts

Another vote for an android OS based system. We know it works on almost anything and can be developed easily. Much less problems than an MS OS.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SwampRat

Quote from: FracaSHO on February 25, 2014, 08:57:13 AM

Quote from: futat2 on February 24, 2014, 03:54:01 PM
Ford should use Mac OSX.

You read my mind!  iFord would be awesome. Unfortunately, I don't think that would ever work. The problems people have with any apple iOS are MOSTLY user errors. People are scared of apple and are too lazy to take the time to learn how to properly use apple products and software. I will admit that if your gonna go apple, you have to go all in. It's truly the best way to fully utilize apple to its fullest potential. My lineup; Computer: MacBook pro. Phone: iPhone 5S. Tablet: iPad 2. Email and cloud account: iCloud.

Apple...it just works

On a side note: I basically gave up using voice activation on my sync. I only used it to make calls anyway. And now in IL we can't have a phone in our hands while driving period so that's an important feature.  I got sick of sync calling "Ford" when I said call "Wife."  I use Siri now and she gets the job done.

Brad
2010 SHO with
Sent from my iPhone

It has nothing to do with beiing lazy  ...

Hard core gamers prefer Windows over iOS because there is way more developer support .

If  iOS was such a superior product then Why doesn't Apple release it as a standalone product ?

I don't buy Apple anything because  there hardware is WAY overpriced.

Apple had true innovation with the original iPhone but  there Market Share will never increase unless they can come up something to compete with against the Superior hardware that Samsung and others offer especially in light of the newer Seriously Polished Android OS releases of KeyLime Pie and KitKat.

My biggest reason for not even considering an iPhone is that the screen is too small and that you can't change out the battery if you need to.

2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Ford clearly wants an industrial system... Not Android, Not MacOS... And while Microsoft did a pretty good job with the original sync when it was commissioned, they seem to have let Ford down in recent years.  This is about cost effective industrial application and there aren't many players... what's more, like RIM, they are largely using Linnux based systems which is probably the world standard currently.

I still hope options exist for using the new system on the current vehicles, that the interface is intuitive (which it isn't now), that everyone can pick their flavor of phone or tablet with full function, and that it is quicker. 

Software convergence is what is needed so everything works everywhere, and on any device. 95% of the critical operating hardware is Intel anyway.