• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is the Livernois tune as good as people say?

Started by Jetmech92, February 16, 2014, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curry67

Im thinking of getting my tunes from lms. I like how there are multiple stages I wanna play it more on conservative side and probably max out at stage 4. Do you need to get thermostat and .030 gaps with stage 4 and below. I thought it was just 4+

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

BiGMaC

Quote from: curry67 on February 17, 2014, 06:12:50 PM
Im thinking of getting my tunes from lms. I like how there are multiple stages I wanna play it more on conservative side and probably max out at stage 4. Do you need to get thermostat and .030 gaps with stage 4 and below. I thought it was just 4+

The current LMS tunes are 91 & 93 octane closest to 4+ per Dan.  I'd at least gap the plugs for sure as insurance against predetonation.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

anthonylee337

When I called LMS and asked if I needed the plugs gapped and cooler thermo they assured me I didn't have to do it- since the tune my car runs smoother and I'm averaging 18 mpg. The car runs like a bat out of hell so there is no way I'm changing a thing and she never runs hot. Guess I'm lucky!
2013 SHO tuxedo black ppkg LMS stage 4 K+N

DJE624

You do not need to do plugs and TStat for any LMS tunes up through Stage 4+ but like BiGMaC said, it would be wise to make sure your plugs are gapped at 30. 

anthonylee337

One thing my car does not do is ping or knock

DJE624

You may have pre detonation at high rpms and not even know it without logging.  OTOH, I was running stock 528's gapped at 35 for months with no problems. I'm pretty sure you are fine.

anthonylee337

Tks for the responses-I'm not worried at all I been around engines my whole life and I know when a motor is running at its peak or if it is running poorly. There is no way my engine could run any better and I steady clock 0 to 60 times under 5 seconds!

Tomc612

Yes they are Great!! Livernois stage 4+ I run and will never go back to stock. I also have a few files I use sometimes from Tuning by James. I been tuned over 22k and I never had any problems. I'm using the SP-534 plugs gapped@.030 for 3000 miles. I was running the older plugs with gaps as high as .036/38 and still never any issues.

MeanKS

can any shop 're-gap' the plugs?

i would guess that one shouldn't ask their local Ford dealer to do it; right?

also, is there any thread that has the complete break down of what to do and expect when getting a tune?  does unleash and Livernois tell you exactly what to do?  i hadn't heard about people changing the thermostat before this thread and only saw recommendations about the spark plugs recently.

i'm definitely going to do it, once i put a few more miles on my MKS (i negotiated hard to get the dealer to throw in an extended warranty) the first thing the sales manager said was the waranty is voided if you tune the engine!  i was surprised because i brought my MKS from a Lexus dealership, but he knew right away about playing with turbos...
MKS-EB...

Night Hawk

Quote from: DJE624 on February 17, 2014, 08:37:40 PM
You may have pre detonation at high rpms and not even know it without logging.  OTOH, I was running stock 528's gapped at 35 for months with no problems. I'm pretty sure you are fine.
same here 528s gapped at .035 no problems, FWIW just purchased a set of 534s to find them already pre-gapped at the recommended .030 word must have gotten back to Momma Ford.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Brucelinc

I have run a Livernois tune on my 2010 MKS for a bit over a year.  Is it as good as people say?  Not just "yes"....HELL YES.  I have no doubt that Unleashed tunes are great, also, but the bottom line is that tuning really improves these cars - not just engine performance but also transmission behavior.  I can only speak for 2010 -2012s, but I have not heard of ANY negatives associated with the tunes.

One question:  I have heard a couple of guys use the term "predetonation."  I am familiar with pre-ignition and detonation - both are bad.  Predetonation is a new one on me...is that just a made-up word or is it some evil combination of detonation and pre-ignition? 

BiGMaC

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 19, 2014, 10:01:14 AM
One question:  I have heard a couple of guys use the term "predetonation."  I am familiar with pre-ignition and detonation - both are bad.  Predetonation is a new one on me...is that just a made-up word or is it some evil combination of detonation and pre-ignition? 

It's the firing of a cylinder before the piston has completely finished the upward movement of the compression stroke.  Hurts power and potentially damages the engine. Advances in timing (involved in most tunes especially at higher rpms) can increase likelihood of this without precautions such as the cooler plugs.  Maybe some one with more knowledge can explain it better.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

I don't like that the LMS XV1 tune has been put off either for a long time, or possibly forever with out meth. I'd buy support mods if needed to run it. I just want to run boost to redline my SHO leaves me wanting on the highway after 5k rpms. Maybe that will change with the release of larger direct injection fuel injectors possibly this year and some other fuel deliver modifications. Seems like there's just not enough demand for our cars to justify the additional time to work on our tuning. 
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

BlueSHO

Quote from: Tomc612 on February 18, 2014, 11:10:06 PM
Yes they are Great!! Livernois stage 4+ I run and will never go back to stock. I also have a few files I use sometimes from Tuning by James. I been tuned over 22k and I never had any problems. I'm using the SP-534 plugs gapped@.030 for 3000 miles. I was running the older plugs with gaps as high as .036/38 and still never any issues.

Who is this James guy you are referring to?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

Brucelinc

Thanks, BiGMaC.  I do not want to hijack this thread around terminology, but your description sounds like what I have always thought of as pre-ignition - the ignition of the fuel/air mixture occurring too soon and slamming into the piston on it's way up.  This is often due to overly advanced timing and/or plugs in too hot a heat range.  Anyway, regardless of terminology, we know it is bad and, thankfully, the best tuners help us avoid it!   :)