• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is the Livernois tune as good as people say?

Started by Jetmech92, February 16, 2014, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: Brucelinc on February 19, 2014, 10:53:12 AM
Thanks, BiGMaC.  I do not want to hijack this thread around terminology, but your description sounds like what I have always thought of as pre-ignition - the ignition of the fuel/air mixture occurring too soon and slamming into the piston on it's way up.  This is often due to overly advanced timing and/or plugs in too hot a heat range.  Anyway, regardless of terminology, we know it is bad and, thankfully, the best tuners help us avoid it!   :)

Right on Bro!   Wish we could get one "language" ... maybe knock?  Anyway we do all know we don't want it!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Quote from: 68_GT on February 19, 2014, 10:47:02 AM
I don't like that the LMS XV1 tune has been put off either for a long time, or possibly forever with out meth. I'd buy support mods if needed to run it. I just want to run boost to redline my SHO leaves me wanting on the highway after 5k rpms. Maybe that will change with the release of larger direct injection fuel injectors possibly this year and some other fuel deliver modifications. Seems like there's just not enough demand for our cars to justify the additional time to work on our tuning. 

You may want to check on a 3 bar tune.  That's next in store for me.  I thought that the latest tunes for 13-14's were equivalent to the Stage 4+.  4+ will hold the boost out longer. Our turbos are controlled by torque demand.  If you are boosting over 14.5 the ECU can't read it and holds steady.  With a 3 Bar sensor, your ECU can read boosts above 14.5 and supply more fuel.  That may get you where you want to go.

68_GT

Quote from: DJE624 on February 19, 2014, 12:11:25 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on February 19, 2014, 10:47:02 AM
I don't like that the LMS XV1 tune has been put off either for a long time, or possibly forever with out meth. I'd buy support mods if needed to run it. I just want to run boost to redline my SHO leaves me wanting on the highway after 5k rpms. Maybe that will change with the release of larger direct injection fuel injectors possibly this year and some other fuel deliver modifications. Seems like there's just not enough demand for our cars to justify the additional time to work on our tuning. 

You may want to check on a 3 bar tune.  That's next in store for me.  I thought that the latest tunes for 13-14's were equivalent to the Stage 4+.  4+ will hold the boost out longer. Our turbos are controlled by torque demand.  If you are boosting over 14.5 the ECU can't read it and holds steady.  With a 3 Bar sensor, your ECU can read boosts above 14.5 and supply more fuel.  That may get you where you want to go.

my understanding is that is what the XV1 was supposed to do.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SRT82ECOBOOST

I could be absolutely wrong on this, but it was my understanding that the 3 bar really does nothing for you as we do not push high enough boost levels without meth to supplement fuel delivery. If I am wrong and I am leaving something on the table for performance, I will order the 3 bar immediately.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

DJE624

Depending on what tune you are running, I believe the stock turbos will run up to 17 psi.  Anything above 14.5 will not be read by the 2 Bar.  Run Torque and see if you are pushing that limit with your tune.  If so, it may be worth trying the 3 Bar. 

68_GT

who and how is anyone runing above 14.5 PSI ? meth ?

I don't understand why there are claims the 13 fuel system is more capable, but also unable to tune the 13 for higher rpms and higher boost with out meth ????
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

BiGMaC

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on February 19, 2014, 12:53:38 PM
I could be absolutely wrong on this, but it was my understanding that the 3 bar really does nothing for you as we do not push high enough boost levels without meth to supplement fuel delivery. If I am wrong and I am leaving something on the table for performance, I will order the 3 bar immediately.

As I understand it.... LMS tunes can be modified to increase the boost.  The 2bar sensor can't read (send) info above 14.5psi boost to the ECM... so when more torque is asked for and boost levels reach 14.5 the ECM holds it steady.  With a 3BAR and an adjusted tune the benefit of providing 15-17 psi boost can be translated into performance because the 3BAR can read it and send info to the ECM.  So you don't necessarily need meth to benefit from a 3BAR... This per Dan at LMS (their tuner) in a discussion with DJE that he related.

I am strongly considering trying this... at $130 or so it's a relatively cheap mod that may make my smile even bigger.
Testing on stock turbos give me the idea that they aren't capable of more than about 17psi. Others can chime in here.

So you need a modified tune also (this is posted in in the Livernois vendor area I think)

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

SHOdded

If you are looking to increase boost using the 3bar, make sure you keep an eye on all those pipes & clamps if they are stock!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on February 19, 2014, 02:12:04 PM
If you are looking to increase boost using the 3bar, make sure you keep an eye on all those pipes & clamps if they are stock!

Great Point....  :icon_wink:
BTW, I have a set of thermal coated PPE Hotpipes ordered.

yowen

Quote from: SHOdded on February 19, 2014, 02:12:04 PM

Definitely, It may be worth a guide on here on clamps that should be checked from time to time. Although I assume it's somewhat obvious once you peak into the engine bay.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

68_GT

I understood differently that 3 bar MAP with LMS was only for the XV1 they were working on and the current stage 3 or 4 whatever 93 tunes are maxed out already ? If not why wouldn't they be ?

I never heard them say anything about get a 3bar MAP and we can turn up your boost / power with your stage 3 or 4 tunes ??

BiGMaC

Quote from: 68_GT on February 19, 2014, 02:32:23 PM
I never heard them say anything about get a 3bar MAP and we can turn up your boost / power with your stage 3 or 4 tunes ??

They didn't Dave (DJE) has been modifying his tune working with Dan at LMS.  His tune is highly modified from their canned versions. Service after sale!  :thumb:

68_GT

Anthony told me this in an email response today..... I assume that means they will add more boost, but he didn't specifically say that ??? I'm waitign on a response to clarify if they add boost with a 3 bar MAP in.

The 3 bar map sensor allows for greater tuning capabilities due to the vehicle being able to recognize boost higher than 14.5 psi.  It is also a requirement for running methanol injection or upgraded turbos. 

bigmoneycloser

I have a new tune from LMS for my XSport to utilize my 3bar map. They are not adding more boost. Just re-writing the tunes to incorporate the 3bar.  It allows the computer to monitor the higher boost levels. But they are not turning up the boost. This is how Anthony explained it to me. But anytime you want to return to stock, you have to swap the 2bar back in place.....
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

BiGMaC

Interesting.  I'd love to hear your impressions and see what boosts you get from it.