• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tire Pressure and Traction

Started by vinnievis, February 13, 2014, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinnievis

I was having a quick discussion with a buddy about tire pressure and tires.

We were discussing whether a tire (All season or Winter) inflated at max tire pressure would have more or less grip on Ice/Snow.

I was thinking that more surface area (lower Tire pressure) would grip ice much better.  This is the case in Rock Crawlers with Beadlocks (obviously an extreme), and also with drag racing on slicks to the best of my knowledge...

He was saying higher PSI would Cut through snow better to get to pavement.

I can see both of those viewpoints being right, but what do you guys think?  I have always been of the "Dont inflate to Max PSI" on the tires.  Leave them 2-3 LBS (or so) below the max.

I know there are tons of variables besides what Ive included, but I dont want to type War and Peace here...

crash712us

Your not suppose to inflate tire to what marked in them. That just the max pressure they'll hold. See door jam for proper inflation.
As adjusting air pressure for traction, over inflating reduces contact patch and will wear center of tread. As will a under inflated will cup and wear the outside edges of tread. But a 5psi drop in pressure in the winter does help a little with traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

bykr

This question is kinda tricky.If slightly raising the air pressure,giving you a reduced contact patch would increase the pounds per sq. inch exerted on the road surface, would that be of some advantage in snow?Tractor tires tend to be tall and narrow.
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune