• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dyno for PPE down pipes

Started by EcoPowerParts, February 12, 2014, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

So you think 6400 is safe AJP?

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 16, 2016, 06:03:10 PM
So you think 6400 is safe AJP?

It doesnt seem unhealthy...fuel pressure would be fine at 18-20 psi boost because the high pressure pump has plenty of rpm.

But i would guess the turbo shaft speed would be incredible and im guessing its getting way out of its efficiency range....maybe if you were only running 12-14 psi it might be ok to rev to 6400 but a dyno curve would maybe be the best indicator...at 16 psi the amount of wastegate duty cycle required to hold that boost starts to really take off...mine starts to head to 80% fast...thats kind of my own self imposed limit

When i was at the dyno tuning i felt like i liked the monster boost better but only revving to 6k rather than less boost and 6500.

And the fact that the turbine wheels are something ridiculous like 38mm its just seems counter productive to rev the s*** out of this motor...seems to me that this motor was made to be a mid and low range monster
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

EcoPowerParts

You lose all power by 5500 RPM so kind of pointless to shift that high....
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on February 17, 2016, 12:07:25 PM
You lose all power by 5500 RPM so kind of pointless to shift that high....
The dyno for the downpipes showed a pretty decent curve up top (I was surprised)

Shift calculators all seem to show more power winding out than short shifting. (PP equipped cars only)

I want to take a couple logs graphing with an accelerometer with RPM, gear, and FRP for comparison. That should be a better indicator than shift point analyzers and random dyno curves that aren't mine. If I can shift higher without breaking anything or slowing down, that cam will be moving faster in the next gear which can only help FRP after the shift.

EcoPowerParts

Maybe it was just the bigger turbos but all my graphs and all I've seen with higher HP cars the power drops at 5500ish like a STONE.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on February 17, 2016, 03:03:23 PM
Maybe it was just the bigger turbos but all my graphs and all I've seen with higher HP cars the power drops at 5500ish like a STONE.

That's why the dyno results in this thread and comments are confusing. The bigger turbo cars surely like to rev better than stock but looking at page one the car seemed to make power all the way up.

And you are correct, most dyno sheets I look at the power is definitely falling off which is why I was surprised at the on paper results. The gearing and torque multiplication of the pp cars seem to overcome the power drop off. The  suggested points of the 2.77 cars are drastically different.

AJP turbo

I think most of the power falling off at 5500+ is due to falling boost...most data logs ive seen the boost tapers off sometimes because thats whats being commanded and sometimes because the boost solenoid is not adding enough wastegate to achieve target boost...when i hold boost to redline my power looked pretty good at 6000 rpm...fomo has my dyno sheet if he wants to post it...i have phone issues

But even if the valve train and engine are ok to run higher the turbo will be the choke point id say above 6k and i would worry about the shaft speed of those 400$ stock garrets

And at high boost and high rpm the stresses on the rotataing parts increases exponentially with rpm due to piston speed..i just wouldnt be interested in running the car ragged
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

I will post it in the dyno section before this thread gets too far off course.

FiveLeeter918

Hey Mike/Tom, did you guys ever get to re-do this on a tuned vehicle? Would love to see the outcome.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Joeyfuzz911

Following this as well.

Interested in catted downpipes.  Anyone know if it will make my Corsa noticeably louder?  Trying to avoid the exhaust being louder.
2014 SHO nonpp, MDesign intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa catback, H&R springs, 170 tstat, 3 bar map sensor, matte black vinyl wrapped chrome trimming, smoke tinted tail lights, 20x9 +35 offset aftermarket wheels on 275/40 R20 Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Powerstop z23 brakes and drilled/slotted rotors, 35% tint, MSD coils, NGK 6510 gapped at 0.26 and AJPturbo 3 bar 93 tune.

12.82 @ 106.6mph w/ 1.82 60"

ZSHO

Quote from: Joeyfuzz911 on August 20, 2017, 03:19:30 PM
Following this as well.

Interested in catted downpipes.  Anyone know if it will make my Corsa noticeably louder?  Trying to avoid the exhaust being louder.
It certainly will make it sound raspier unless you install a resonator in place.
The beauty of the Corsa cat back exhaust is that emits zero drone to the cabin which is a Big Plus IMO. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Joeyfuzz911

I know catless will make them raspy. From all the vids I have scene and heard on YouTube with catted downpipes and the Corsa, there is no rasp.  However, can't tell from the vids how loud it is in person which is want I'm worried about.

Thanks for the info though.
2014 SHO nonpp, MDesign intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa catback, H&R springs, 170 tstat, 3 bar map sensor, matte black vinyl wrapped chrome trimming, smoke tinted tail lights, 20x9 +35 offset aftermarket wheels on 275/40 R20 Continental Extreme Contact Sports, Powerstop z23 brakes and drilled/slotted rotors, 35% tint, MSD coils, NGK 6510 gapped at 0.26 and AJPturbo 3 bar 93 tune.

12.82 @ 106.6mph w/ 1.82 60"