• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dyno for PPE down pipes

Started by EcoPowerParts, February 12, 2014, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on February 14, 2014, 12:48:56 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on February 14, 2014, 12:31:06 PM
Quote from: 4DRHTRD on February 14, 2014, 12:09:57 PM
Quote from: 68_GT on February 14, 2014, 11:49:38 AM
good info all kind of how I expected. Once your're tuneed I'd like to see an overlay of the stock pipes versus catted, and non catted if you're willing to put the stocjers back on for a pull.

How did you get crank hp on a dyno ?
The dyno does a drivetrain loss evaluation by doing 0-60 pulls and coasting down

interesting never heard of that, and my guess is that's becasue I don't understand why you would dyno that way ? unless your're trying to do a comparrison at the crank to what Ford reports the stock power output to be ? What is the stock power 365hp ? that would be a 40hp gain for the non catted pipes if the correction is accurate ?!
The dyno treats torque #'s wrong if looking at to the wheel calculations, they're way off - the line is right, number is wrong. I would assume that he is 20HP over published numbers (underrated) compared to quoted 365.
The key is the comparison #'s not the my dyno vs your dyno #'s scenario. I wanted to get the differences between stock, catted and catless. We'll be going back with Tom's car to compare stock, catted and catless tuned as well.
Absolutely... the delta is the important data... how do the line's positions move in the comparison to each other with changes made.  The car is much different to drive on the low end as described...earlier spooling and hp/TQ spike up.
Just FYI... best catted pull of about 395 was 30crank HP over the advertised 365 and about 12 crank HP over the best stock pull on this dyno... again the delta is the number you want.
After driving it I am sure that on the dyno ECM controls torque limiting access to power.  The car acts like the dyno curves look on the street and not so much what those max numbers say out there at redline. Again we believe that a tune will be synergistic with the pipes.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

68_GT

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on February 14, 2014, 12:48:56 PM
We'll be going back with Tom's car to compare stock, catted and catless tuned as well.

oh nice,,,,yeah I'll be holding out for that info !
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

MTaurusSHO

Great job! Thanks for all this.
2013 Tuxedo Black Non PP SHO
AirAid, LMS Tuned, Plugs and T-Stat.
2002  MMM Z28
F1 Procharged 408ci

black99lightning

no dyno numbers but I picked went from a best of 13.12 to a new best of 12.98 with the offroad DP's.  I think in stellar weather, 40-50 degrees, I could possibly pick up another tenth.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

BiGMaC

Quote from: black99lightning on February 16, 2014, 07:47:42 PM
no dyno numbers but I picked went from a best of 13.12 to a new best of 12.98 with the offroad DP's.  I think in stellar weather, 40-50 degrees, I could possibly pick up another tenth.

I think crash has a calculation to get WHP from the two numbers.  Maybe he'll weigh in and give us what they use with his car.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

FoMoCoSHO

Man, your car even looks awesome just sitting on the dyno!

BiGMaC

Thanks FMCS!... Appreciate it. especially with it as dirty as it was.

The part of those pics I like the best is how I get to see the wheels disappear at speed.  If the tax man isn't to hard on me the tune with DP adjustment will be on in about 2-3 weeks.  Then we'll dyno all again... expecting more from all styles.

FoMoCoSHO

No problem BigMac...

I am a little disappointed with the catted DP #'s.

However, I have a secret weapon I may deploy on my build to overcome the flow differences.

Stay tuned.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 16, 2014, 09:28:00 PM
No problem BigMac...

I am a little disappointed with the catted DP #'s.

Me too, but the difference seem to be about what we expected... just lower numbers.  The tuned pulls will tell us if we're right.  with no other mods I'm expecting about 5-6 more HP at least.  The feel when driving it tells me if I could hold 1st to 6000-6500rpm we'd have a bolt on rocket.... truth will be told!

Interested to see the SW... mine will be the cutout.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Needmoreboost on February 14, 2014, 10:27:33 AM
Thanks for sharing.  Did you leave the third shared cat on??
Yes, in all cases...

FoMoCoSHO

So I haven't looked at this thread in a while, and I just noticed that your car made peak power at near redline?

Do the pipes help it breathe that much?

CL Donttry

Guys I'm new to this forum and never used one before so be kind. Quick question I have a 2012 SHO about to install a tune from Livernois. I have catless DP, 3 bar sensor, NGK plugs, K&N CIA. What are the downside to catless DP I'm hearing smells like gas? Is that a big deal should I go with catted DP appreciate any info.
Dbad1
2012 Taurus SHO modified, K&N CAI,3bar,LMS thermostat, NGK gapped plugs, Unleased DP, LMS Thunderstorm Cat back,LMS 4 plus tune, EBC slotted cross drilled rotors, MGP caliper covers, SHO hood graphics, Chrome grill inserts, Continential Purecontact tires
2010 BMW 528 Xdrive
2015 GMC Sierra SLE

ZSHO

Welcome aboard the E.B.P.F partner,please post some pics of the new ride,great choice with going with the Livernois tune,make sure you install your 3-bar first which is located on top of the manifold and then install your tune,also make sure to have a 3-bar tune along with it,the catless DP usually have a smell but after a while it will diminish and go away,also you may need a new revised tune for 3-bar,DP and you can contact Jaimie at jtejeda@livernoismotorsports.com for any tune related questions you may have,also a 160 stat is recommened along with the new plugs to benefit the most from your tune,best of luck with the new ride and any questions you may have always feel free to ask.Z.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MDesign Performance

I would always suggest catted downpipes over non-catted.

The smell is due to removing the catalytic converters since their function is to regulate emissions. With your emissions system now down two filters (catalytic converters) you are now exposing more emissions which equates to a smell, plain and simple. The noticeability of the smell depends on the design of the downpipes, gas, remaining emissions systems and other factors though I guarantee you any non-catted downpipes will produce a smell to an extent.

You're losing only 1-2hp by going performance catted over non-catted downpipes also, this was tested on a dyno, so the difference is negligible.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance