• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Add-A-Fuse Fuse Tap

Started by Bigjht, February 09, 2014, 07:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigjht

Does anyone on here have experience with the fuse taps?  I'm looking to install a 12 volt auxiliary power outlet in the tray on my dash to house a dual 2.4 amp USB charger, which will power my Nexus 7 and any other tablet/phone I may need to charge.  My concern is the stock 12 volt auxiliary outlets on the truck run to a 20 amp fuse, but this will only go up to 10 amp max.  I found some cheaper ones that say 15 and 20 amp max but they seem to be utilizing the same 16 gauge wiring so I don't quite trust those.  I only intend to use this for the tablet and phone charging so with the usb adapter I should only max out at 4.8 amps anyway if I'm charging 2 tablets at the same time.  With that being said, from my readings and limited knowledge of the subject, I should be ok then as long as I don't take the USB Adapter out and put something that would draw more amps right?  I see some unused fuse slots that I'm hoping I'll be able to plug in to but if they aren't hot on switch only I should still be able to utilize the rear heated seat fuse, which is 10 amps as well.  I mainly want to use this so I don't have to splice in to any wiring.  Any advice or does all of this sound correct?
2013 PP SHO - Airaid CAI, Eibach Springs, Livernois Tune
2013 EB F150 Limited - Stock for Now!

Mikesb

I just went round and round with the subject. What I ended up doing is using the type of tap that hooks through and to the bottom of the desired fuse. That way you can draw off of the hot side of the fuse you are tapping into without interfering with any of the existing fuses functions. Then your tap has its own independent fuse. One of the main things is to pick the rite fuse to use

Take what is say with a grain, that's just what I did on my own
2013 SHO PP BLACK 7k mi - 12.9 @107  LMS 91 v8 METH TUNE - ALKY CONTROLS METH - 3-BAR - AIRAID - PPE DP'S w/cats - CORSA CB - PLUGS - T-STAT - UPGRADE AUDIO
PORTLAND OREGON

Larrylu

That is what I did and it worked fine for me. I found and used an unused fuse at the panel under the dash on the drivers side that was hot on ignition on. I'm using it to power my Garmin and my Nexus. Nexus is powered through a 2.1 amp USB. I found that my vintage Nexus (previous to the current) needed a special USB (shorted data pins) to enable fast charge. Don't know if they still use that system or not. Go for it!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

dalum

That tap is fine and its what I used.  Just make sure to test it with the factory fuse out so you know its not in backwards.
2013 Non-PP SHO