• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Install Aux Transmission Cooler WITH ACC by SkookumFord

Started by SHOdded, February 06, 2014, 05:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

"How-To" Install Aux Transmission Cooler WITH Adaptive Cruise Control by SkookumFord

01-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi, ya'll. Longtime lurker here. Have a 2011 SHO w/ ACC. I tow a small trailer, and I've been following BPD's Auxiliary Trans Cooler thread since the beginning. I was frustrated that it wasn't available for us guys with ACC, and decided to tackle it myself.

OK, so this diagram shows the oem installation of the auxiliary trans cooler:

It uses two 'T' splitters in the hoses to split the fluid to both the primary cooler and the aux cooler, then to merge the fluid before returning to the trans. It's primarily these 'T' splitters and associated hoses that occupy the same space as the ACC Radar.

Anyone who's installed an aftermarket cooler knows that this is an unnecessarily complicated way to plumb an aux cooler. I just rerouted the output line from the Primary Cooler to the input on the Aux Cooler, then spliced the output on the Aux cooler into the Return Line on the Trans.

Transmission Output -> Primary Cooler -> Aux Cooler -> Transmission Return

I didn't bother replacing the bypass valve, or buying any of the other oem parts beside the cooler.

The bracket that comes with the cooler interferes with the bracket that holds the ACC. I just cut the extra crap off the cooler bracket and bolted it to the ACC bracket. There's about 1" of space between the Cooler bracket and the ACC bracket. I just filled it with some washers I had laying around.

Put the bumper cover back on today, topped off the fluid, and took it for a spin to check for leaks. Now I can tow with confidence!

===========

Quote02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by pacoflyer View Post
Thanks for doing this. So the only hose you unplugged was the bottom hose and ran hose to the aux cooler and to the top of the other cooler? Also can list exactly what hose and how long? Thanks !
Correct. I cut and removed the bottom hose and replaced with new hoses running thru the cooler. Any 1/2" rubber hose works. I bought 4ft and had a little extra left over. And you'll need a 1/2" brass barb hose splicer like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mender-Splicer.../dp/B007ZDNSJK
Last edited by SkookumFord; 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM. Reason: Added Sig.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Vortex69

Nicely done!!...and, I'm jealous!

Dealer told me it was OK to tow with my '13, however, while going thru the manual, I found that I could not tow with the SHO. Wonder if the '14's are different?
'13 SHO

SHOdded

I believe Flex & F150 with EB engines are "allowed" to tow, but not the SHO.  Something about unibody strength and trans cooling.  Not sure about the Explorer.

I know EBB has towed with the Flex, and there are tunes specifically for towing with the F150.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

n8rfastback

I tow with my 2010 SHO, no issues here, no aux cooler either.  I would like to do this mod eventually
2010 SHO

66 Galaxie

Looking into doing this to my '14 Flex ecoboost and would love to find the pictures for the original post...
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

SHOdded

Will see if i can find them and update ...

EDIT:  Done!  polskifacet may also have insight into this, as he did an upgrade recently.

66 Galaxie

'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

SHOdded

SHOdded

NOTE:  Pics updated in OP upon request, as the Photobucket links were no longer working.

mjhpadi

Quote from: SHOdded on February 06, 2014, 12:08:22 PM
I believe Flex & F150 with EB engines are "allowed" to tow, but not the SHO.  Something about unibody strength and trans cooling.  Not sure about the Explorer.

I know EBB has towed with the Flex, and there are tunes specifically for towing with the F150.
But the Explorer is based on the Taurus platform and you can tow with the Explorer. Think it has more to do with the turbocharged engine than the unibody....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350