• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Part Numbers for OEM PP SHO Rotors

Started by MDesign Performance, February 01, 2014, 01:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

A useful change is when swept area is available to increase.  Most times though, brake bias isn't taken into consideration, which CAN be unfavorably affected if the kit size/braking force is radically different from OEM.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Would going with an aftermarket OEM solid-type rotor and upgrading the pads to EBC be a good way to get a small bump in braking power? I plan on using Raybestos 680758 Disc Brake Rotor Advanced Technology (pics below) for the rust-proof coating and would be in the market for a good pad to mate them with.

Was going to go with PowerStop as they are the same price, though I've recently heard issues with them.

2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

black99lightning

Quote from: crash712us on March 02, 2014, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: black99lightning on March 02, 2014, 08:26:09 PM
Quote from: 4DRHTRD on March 02, 2014, 03:16:46 PM
If you swap to aftermarket rotors and more importantly pads it will make a HUGE difference to y our brake feel. My Flex went from scary to great. TCE brakes would be even better but of course cots quite a bit more.

I'm not currently having any braking issues.  Replaced the pads/rotors around 50k with EBC slotted rotors and green pads.  They warped almost immediatley.  Bought new stock rotors from Ford and Powerstop pads and have been fine since.  Currently 73K miles.  I'm looking for bigger, IE 2013 PP rotors/pads.  The TCE is nice, but expensive and requires a spacer to use factory wheels.  I've used a spacer once on wheels.  I had a 88 LX 5.0 that back in 94 I put real 93 cobra wheels.  After about 1000 miles I noticed a bad vibration on the interstate.  The lugs had loosened.  I will never use spacers again.

So has anyone upgraded their 2010-2012 to the 2013 PP front brakes?  Through SVTP I can get Ford parts at cost +0%, or the Ford dealership across from my work will do the same.  I just need to know if the rotors/calipers/pads will be a direct swap.

From what I know they will not fit. I personally have EBC pads and rotors and I know several other that do as well, that have no problems with. Did you follow there pad bedding procedure? And did you upgrade all wheels or just fronts?

It would nice if they where direct fit, and would cost far less this the wilwoods. But accord to Todd at TCE the 2013+ brakes don't really offer any better braking then the earlier cars. Its the larger master cylinder that makes them feel different.

No I only did the fronts.  I broke them in like every other brake I've used including the new factory rotors.  Literally warped as soon as I drove off with them.  I noted the EBC pads didn't have placement for the factory springs.  I got autoanything to send me pads to replace the EBC's.  The rotors are in a storage unit.  $350 worth of junk.  Maybe the rotors were already warped sitting on their shelf?  Hindsight, how would the EBC rotor outperform the factory rotor if they are the same size? It probably won't and cost 3X's more.  If I could enlarge the rotors that would make more stopping power. 
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

black99lightning

Quote from: SHOdded on March 03, 2014, 02:36:21 AM
A useful change is when swept area is available to increase.  Most times though, brake bias isn't taken into consideration, which CAN be unfavorably affected if the kit size/braking force is radically different from OEM.

so what difference would the tce big brake kit make on the factory 2010-12 booster/master cylinder.  Those are even larger than the 2013pp brakes.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

crash712us

EBC does advise against running different composite pads front and rear.
However since your say the warp from the get go, I would say your hubs were not cleaned when you installed them there for cause run out of the rotors. What makes EBC rotor better is better material the iron has been stressed relieved and there more stable and less prone to warpage. You may want to take your rotors to have the checked for runout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110