• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gear oil question

Started by BlueSHO, January 15, 2014, 11:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoostfoSHO

I'm thinking of doing my ptu and rear diff soon, I get free Mobil 1 synthetic oil at my job. I use it for my engine. Do you recommend purchasing redline or amsoil or should I stick with my free Mobil 1 from work?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

ZSHO

Quote from: BoostfoSHO on January 05, 2018, 11:10:15 AM
I'm thinking of doing my ptu and rear diff soon, I get free Mobil 1 synthetic oil at my job. I use it for my engine. Do you recommend purchasing redline or amsoil or should I stick with my free Mobil 1 from work?

If you want the Real Deal True quality full synthetic Group 4 Based oil then Redline or Amsoil would be the way to go IMHO.  Z

Gear oil Specs for comparison! below!

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on January 05, 2018, 11:24:34 AM
Quote from: BoostfoSHO on January 05, 2018, 11:10:15 AM

If you want a True quality full synthetic based oil then Redline or Amsoil would be ideal IMHO.  Z

Gear oil Specs for comparison! below!

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf
Ok got it thanks, I'll definitely be buying the good stuff then. Thank you.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

abs

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd share my perspective on the gear oil question.  My take when it comes to any kind of oil, including gear oil, is to only use oils that are CERTIFIED to meet a particular specification.  This does not mean that an oil made by Amsoil, Redline or any other boutique producer is bad, but it does mean that as a consumer it is very difficult to determine if the boutique oil in fact meets all the criteria for an oil specification such as API GL-5/MT-1/MIL-PRF 2105E.  I have also learned that some oil specifications are more or less a joke.  For example, when it comes to engine oils, the API SN or SN+ specifications focus mostly on fuel economy standards and are not competitive with most European spec oils.  Lubrizol provides a really great spider chart that allows us to see the difference in performance across a wide range of motor oil attributes.  If you compare the API specs versus others, you can see what I'm talking about here: 

https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Relative-Performance-Tool

Back to gear oil for our vehicles.  Given the choice, I prefer to use a fluid such as Mobil 1 Delvac gear oil.  This product is formulated for heavy duty use in big rig trucks and is intended to have a very long service life (500,000 miles or more).  It can be found by special order from a few sites on the internet (maybe even Amazon now) in the 75w-90 weight.  It is a full synthetic and meets some very stringent specifications and approvals from a wide range of truck manufacturers.  See here:

https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delvac/products/gear-oils/mobil-delvac-1-gear-oil

I recommend this lubricant for the rear differential since it's the right weight to use (slightly thinner cold viscosity than the OEM spec which is a good thing) and the rear diff is somewhat challenging to get to for fluid drain/fill.

The PTU is a more challenging scenario.  Ford requires a 75-140 weight fluid.  The OEM fluid has a tendency to turn to sludge when not maintained, and I can't recommend it for that reason.  As an aside, it appears Ford is very proud of this product, they use it widely across their product line.  Also, ConocoPhilips appears to be Ford's partner for developing fluids.  If you try to find non Motorcraft fluid that explicitly state they meet a Ford spec, often times only ConocoPhilips will have one available when no other producer does.   I am almost certain that this product is the same (or very similar to) the Motorcraft 75w-140:  https://www.phillips66lubricants.com/product/syngear-ss/.   

For the fun of it, I did once try Amsoil 75w-140 in my PTU and I was not happy with the performance - I noticed bad odors and it also seemed like there was more drive train drag with it in there.  The Delvac 80-140 is an option, but it only comes in large drums, which is not really feasible to obtain for me.  I have not used it.  The Mobil 1 (not Delvac) 75w-140 is a quality product which I have used with success, but it also has a friction modifier in it from the factory for limited slip differentials (not required in a PTU) which is not optimal.  Schaeffer's and Motul both make a few interesting 75-140 gear oils, I have not tried them, but these could be good choices too.  I'm not really a fan of the Valvoline 75w-140 based on personal experience, it tends to break down fast.  I've been running the Mobil 1 75-140 for some time, it seems to hold up well and does a good job.  I have not tried Redline or Royal Purple.  I know a lot of folks love these products and recommend them, I worry about these products not being certified.  I know you may be thinking, "well this guy used the Amsoil gear oil so what gives?"  The Amsoil gear oil is not certified and I regret having used it as my experience was not good.

So, my conclusion is that given what is readily available, I think the best choice for the PTU is actually the Mobil 1 75w-140 and the for the rear differential the Mobil Delvac 1 75w-90.  And, as has been stated many times before, swap the PTU fluid regularly . . .

I hope this helps.

SHOdded

Mobil1 was in the PTU when it went bellyup.

IME, Amsoil Severe Gear has performed the best in both the PTU and RDU, followed closely by Redline LWSP.  Valvoline is doing pretty good right now as well, about 6 months in the PTU so far, but you can tell the difference from SVG and LWSP for sure.

YMMV, but I AM disappointed that SVG did not perform for you.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

Stay with Amsoil! Like 20 bucks....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.