• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gear oil question

Started by BlueSHO, January 15, 2014, 11:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSHO

The other day when I tried to pull a car out of the snow when the strap snapped (another thread on that) I noticed in the snow under the car what appeared to be some gear oil. I have not crawled under the car to check but could I have caused gear oil to vent out of the rear end? I did a lot of rocking back and forth to get the car unstuck and thought maybe this caused the oil to vent. Did not look like a lot but enough for me to notice. Does the rear end have a vent on it where this could happen? Also does the rear end use synthetic 75w140 oil? Thx
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

DJE624

I don't know about the rear end but the PTU does have a vent.  The first time I drove my SHO really hard, I had a few drops over night.  I freaked out but was assured that it was normal.

BlueSHO

What kind of oil does the PTU use?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

BlueSHO

Found it. Looks like 75w-140

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

DJE624

Sounds right.  I wasn't sure.

BlueSHO

Probably was the PTU now that I think about it. Looks like a bit$h to add some or check.

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

mjhpadi

Quote from: JeffsSport on January 15, 2014, 11:13:28 AM
Also does the rear end use synthetic 75w140 oil? Thx
No the differential uses a different weight..maybe 75w90? I am not sure of that, but I do know it is NOT the same as the PTU.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

bpd1151

75-140 for the PTU
75-90 for the REAR DIFF

1.1 pints PTU
2.3 pints REAR DIFF

Sent from my Droid Razor HD

BlueSHO

Thanks... I think it was the PTU that puked and I'll check tomorrow and top it off if needed. I guess just make sure the level is up to the fill hole.

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

DJE624

2012 SHO Manual.

BlueSHO

Thanks for doing the leg work..:-)

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

BlueSHO

Just an update. The rear end does have a vent towards the top of the differential housing and this is where the gear oil puked a few ounces the other day. I pulled the plug and topped it off with the same amount I lost. I was at a slight incline when I was pulling the car out of the snow and that's probably why it burped some.

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

DJE624

Interesting.  Glad you found it!

BoostfoSHO

Any inputs on this oil? I've never used it but walking the isles at Napa and saw it was extremely expensive so I figured maybe it's good... Anyone ever heard of it or used it ?
It's $70 bucks for that small bottle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

ZSHO

Quote from: BoostfoSHO on January 05, 2018, 09:29:10 AM
Any inputs on this oil? I've never used it but walking the isles at Napa and saw it was extremely expensive so I figured maybe it's good... Anyone ever heard of it or used it ?
It's $70 bucks for that small bottle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
What is it made out of Gold! LOl
I have always used Redline 75w-140 GL-5 Gear oil which meets,exceeds GL-5 OEM Specs!   
I ordered a couple of quarts from www.amazon.com for roughly $15.00 ea .IIRC! 
IMO would stick with Redline or Amsoil especially for the PTU,RDU. Z
https://www.redlineoil.com/75w140-gl-5-gear-oil

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|