• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Swapping a 3.5L Ecoboost into.....

Started by walt460, January 12, 2014, 12:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

ebay is chock-full of EB engines from all sorts of cars, ranging from 1500 through 3g or so.  Impressive!
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

BigMike75

I have a 2006 Crown Vic Police Intercepter P71.  I'm getting close to doing some drivetrain upgrades.  Originally was considering a 5.4 2v engine swap with dual rear mount turbos, but with Ford Racing going to produce a Control Pack.  I'm thinking a Ecoboost 3.5 w/6R80 swap would be better option (power plus some fuel economy).

1. Does any body know if the 3.5 Ecoboost will use the same motor mounts as my current 4.6?

2. What is the height difference between the car 4.6 and the 3.5 Ecoboost?  Want a sleeper, stock hood needs to be able to shut. 

Not worried about width.  Think I'm good there.  I can always build custom headers and turbo mounts if needed.

3. How much bigger is the 6R80 vs the 4R70?  Wonder if trans tunnel mods will be needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EcoPowerParts

I think you guys are going to hit a brick wall on this one.
I would suggest you look at getting an EB motor then putting a 2010 Mutang V6 port fuel injection intake on it.
Leave the DI stuff on the motor but use the port fuel injection to fuel it.
Install a stand alone ECU to drive it.
Until Ford Racing comes out with that controller you're stuck and retrofitting a harness into an older car would be a nightmare as you need all the body computers talking to the ECM or it will freak out from my understanding.
Also if you are wanting more or big power fuel is the limiting factor on the DI setup, much easier to get big fuel with a port fuel injection and stand alone.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

walt460

I was at SEMA this week and got a goo look at a F150 2.7L Ecoboost V6.  That engine is tiny!  It would fit into a Ranger along with the 6R80 no problem.  325HP &375ft-lbs in Ranger would be a sweet upgrade!

walt460

Oh, also at SEMA, Ford Racing claims their 3.5L Ecoboost Controls PAK will be available 2nd Quarter of 2015.  (M/T applications only)  I also heard that PCS will have a stand-alone controller for the 6R80 in about 6 months.

walt460

In my book, the way to do a F150 Ecoboost swap into any other vehicle is to buy a wrecked truck that "lot-drives", that way you know all the parts you need are good before you start the swap.  Before you buy a truck, you need to decide if you are going 2WD or 4WD and whether you want to have a floor shift or column shift, and buy accordingly.  If you want the manual control of the trans shifting feature, you must use the factory shifter on floor or column, no aftermarket device has this feature that I know about.

There a lot of issues with swapping this engine.  The major one is that the factory wiring is so complex and integrated, but there will be a 3.5LEB/6R80 swap harness coming to market in the near future.

abe_lincoln78

Walt;

I've been following your comments on ecoboost swaps closely for some time now.  I'm extremely interested in doing either ecoboost/6R80 or 5.0/6R80 swap and find it important to use the factory cal as a baseline for either.  Is this aftermarket solution for making a factory ECM/TCM combination work in other vehicles coming as close as it seems?  I've searched the web about this on many occasions but really can't find any info.

abcgum091

I have a feeling that you will start to see many 3.5 Ecoboost swaps once the controls PAK comes out. Looking forward to it!
2008 taurus sel fwd

sunwolf

I want a 1966 Lincoln Continental convertible with a 3.5 ecoboost now.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

abe_lincoln78

I'm sure you're right about the controls pack, but with 4 forward gears from a 4r70w as the automatic transmission limit much of the magic from these engines will be lost.  The 6r80 has so much wider a ratio spread we can dig deep off the line while still having great highway gears.  I really think that's a big deal and something that will push the hot rod industry over the edge.  Suddenly we can use a 3.08 gear but have all the grunt we needed 4.10 for before.  All this time we still get closer gear spacing so there is a correct gear for many more situations.  Because of that I expect many will pass until we have the option.

I'm pretty sure that's a 462 car.  I'd keep that thing showroom stock just to preserve that engine.

6.7cumminspwr

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread. I'm new here to this forum. I have a project with a 2006 ford Mustang. I'm swapping a 2011 ford f-150 eco-boost into it. I just picked up the motor, computer, engine wire harness, mounts, turbos.. Will I need the smart fuse box? Bcm? Steering column? I just saw this thread online and decided to ask if these were necessary items... I'm running a mt-82 on it. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks guys. I will post pictures and keep you guys updated.

glock-coma

Welcome to the forum!!!
This thread should be helpful if you haven't checked it out yet.
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=4279
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

walt460

Quote from: glock-coma on October 27, 2015, 08:58:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!
This thread should be helpful if you haven't checked it out yet.
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=4279

If you are doing a 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap and plan to use a manual trans, you should seriously consider using the Ford Performance (formally Ford Racing) Controls Pak for the 3.5L EB.  I heard that it will be available in November 2015 while I was just at SEMA.

Walt

walt460

Also at SEMA I found that Hotwire (wiring company in Arkansas) will make a engine/trans harness for the 2011-2015 F150 Ecoboost/6R80.  They want your original factory harnesses if possible as some of the connector shells are not available, but for $1100 the will make the harness in any lengths you need, so custom made harness all tested and labeled that will run a 3.5L EB/6R80 with the stock PCM in just about any vehicle you can put it into with just hooking up 5 wires.  hotwireauto.com is their website.

Also, you will need to have the PATS feature turned off in your PCM, and so far the only company that can do that is HP tuners, but you must ship your PCM to them to get that done.

Walt

AJP turbo

Quote from: walt460 on November 09, 2015, 07:27:21 AM

Also, you will need to have the PATS feature turned off in your PCM, and so far the only company that can do that is HP tuners, but you must ship your PCM to them to get that done.

Walt

Sct has the ability to disable pats....always have actually
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress