• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shopping for Tires

Started by Joleat, January 11, 2014, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

Joleat, do you mind providing the Sears promo code?  thats a really good price...
MKS-EB...

Joleat

No problem. The code is "35BUCKS" and should be valid on any automotive purchase of $350 or more. If you're interested in the General tires, I must point out something I noticed.

If you follow the links I've provided below, the first one will take you to a Sears page that displays the tire and is titled 245/45R20. However, if you look at the model number of the tire, you'll notice that it matches up with the model number for the 245/35R20 on General's website. It could just be a typo, but I didn't want the hassle of having to return and reorder the tires.

http://www.sears.com/general-g-max-as-03-tire-245-45r20-103w/p-09540734000P

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/performance/g-max-as-03#Specs
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

DJE624

MeanKS

MKS-EB...

Joleat

The tires arrived earlier today and I promptly had them installed. Prior to the install, I noticed the tires seemed very light. If I'm not mistaken, I think they weigh in at around 27lbs. Most other tires of the same size come in at 30+. This is both good and bad. Obviously, the good comes from having less rotating mass. The bad, I fear, is that they seem to have removed the weight through removal of sidewall material. As if it weren't already important enough to avoid curbs, this just makes it a necessity. Once the Michelin Primacy MXV4s were removed, I performed an extraordinarily scientific test (I pinched the sidewall of each tire with my fingers). I could flex the sidewall of the Generals with relative ease. The Michelin sidewalls seemed much more robust.

I was only able to put around 50 miles on them today, but so far, I'm liking them. While they're technically an ultra high-performance all-season tire, they seem to absorb the roughness of the road much better than the MXV4s, which are touring tires and should be more geared toward comfort. The Generals also track much straighter than the Michelins. When initially researching tires, I kept reading that the Continental DWS had a tendency to wander. I was hoping that wouldn't hold true for the Generals and thankfully, it doesn't... at least at this point it doesn't.

To be honest, it's far too early for me to offer a thorough review of the G-Max, but I do have high hopes based on my limited experience with them thus far.

I'll be putting 1000+ miles on them over the course of the next couple of days, so I'll report back with an update.

As an aside, I cannot express how pleased I am with Discount Tire Direct. I would not hesitate to order tires from them again.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

DJE624

Sounds like you made a good choice, so far.  Are you happy with the way they look?  My Primacys are fairly stiff and a couple extra psi doesn't help.  How many miles did you get out of them?  I have always had good experiences with DTD. 

Joleat

The MKS just hit 45k miles this week, but that isn't an accurate gauge for the tires as two of them had already been replaced when I bought the car. I would estimate that three of them still had at least another 15k miles, while the fourth probably had 30k miles left to go. I just wanted something different. I like to push the car on these curvy WV roads and the touring tires just weren't cutting it. I also just installed the Power Stop slotted/drilled brake kit, so my driving is bound to become even more spirited now! I wouldn't say the Primacy MXV4 is a bad tire. It just wasn't the right tire for me.

68_GT

do you get wheel hop with the Generals ? wondered if a softer sidewall would help reduce it ??
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SHOdded

EBB has oft mentioned reduced wheel hop as a benefit of going with the Continental DWS's vs the Michelin PSS's.  Softer sidewall.  How soft is too soft?  That I do not know.  Also means you get reduced steering response.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Joleat

When I first purchased the MKS, I thought I was experiencing wheel hop on hard acceleration, but it turned out to be an issue with the transmission, which was resolved through a TSB. So, I guess I can't really comment on wheel hop from the Michelins or the Generals. I should point out that my MKS does not have any "go fast" mods and I was running the MXV4s rather than the PSSs. Those are two very different tires.

The car has been aligned and I've logged 1200+ miles on the Generals so far. Again, I have to point out that the Generals are much smoother than the Michelins. Due to the soft sidewall, I wouldn't recommend the G-MAX as a dedicated track tire, but that wasn't my goal. I wanted a smooth ride with excellent water shedding ability and I've found it in the G-MAX. I am very pleased with my purchase. It will be interesting to see how they wear and at the rate I drive, it won't take long.

bykr

Quote from: 68_GT on January 21, 2014, 06:16:48 PM
do you get wheel hop with the Generals ? wondered if a softer sidewall would help reduce it ??

I'm also wondering if anyone has played around with air pressure trying to reduce wheelhop?
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune

Dxlnt1

Maybe a new tire source. I stumbled onto these guys while pricing shoes for my SHO. Prices on sizes and tires I looked at better. Full mfg warranty, road hazard available as well as installation. Shopping 255/45-20 Hankooks.

https://www.onlinetires.com/
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Joleat

I looked at that website when I was shopping around. For the G-Max in a 245/45R20, it was quite a bit more expensive. It looks like they're selling them for $159 now, but even at $159 each, they're charging $114 for shipping to me, so the total is $750. Depending on your proximity to a distribution center, it may be more affordable.

DiscountTireDirect sold me the same tires for $596 shipped.

Keep in mind that a 255/45R20 is a more common size, so they sometimes run a little less than the 245/45R20.

Needmoreboost

I had a set of GMAX's on a SRT4 and they were great.  Much quieter and smoother ride than the factory Goodyear F1's.  Plus they gripped just as well.
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

Joleat

I'm loving them so far. We just had over a foot of snow dumped on us night before last and they are performing better than I had anticipated.