• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shopping for Tires

Started by Joleat, January 11, 2014, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

Quote from: Joleat on January 12, 2014, 06:22:02 AM
I appreciate all of the responses. Keep in mind, I'm looking for an all-season tire.

Black99Lightning,
Your noise claim is surprising. Based on the other reviews I've read, the G-Max is supposed to be a quiet tire, which is one of the reasons it made my list. Well, that and it's supposed to be among the best in terms of ability to shed water.

... I have much thinking to do.

I've found that prices are around 10-15% lower if you go with 255 vs 245 tread width (depending on the tire).  the 10 extra mm's doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the car according to those that made the switch...
MKS-EB...

DJE624

DRll is right.  I'll probably be going 255.  Looks a little more aggressive too! 

mjhpadi

Wow! If the 255's turn out to be cheaper, I would certainly go with them!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

panther427

What about cooper zeon. RS3-A they make them. In the 20 inch size
2013 SHO

Shonuff1140

I have had the polar opposite with Gmaxxes. I originally started with PP F-1's and when I switched to Nurberings had Gmaxes which I noticed were quieter, and were more comfortable over bumps. They are a few lbs lighter a wheel too, so better MPG eventually. You will not regret the Gmaxxes. I hear they have a thin sidewall, but just don't plan on curbing them and you'll be good.

Quote from: Joleat on January 12, 2014, 06:22:02 AM
I appreciate all of the responses. Keep in mind, I'm looking for an all-season tire.

Black99Lightning,
Your noise claim is surprising. Based on the other reviews I've read, the G-Max is supposed to be a quiet tire, which is one of the reasons it made my list. Well, that and it's supposed to be among the best in terms of ability to shed water.

... I have much thinking to do.

black99lightning

Quote from: panther427 on January 12, 2014, 02:29:11 PM
What about cooper zeon. RS3-A they make them. In the 20 inch size

I'm looking at the Coopers next time I need tires on the GTO.  The Coopers are standard equipment on Roush RS3's.  They are supposed to be an outstanding dry tire.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

panther427

The RS3-A is the all season version. It looks interesting
2013 SHO

mjhpadi

Never considered the Coopers, I will give them a look!
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

bykr

I've found that prices are around 10-15% lower if you go with 255 vs 245 tread width (depending on the tire).  the 10 extra mm's doesn't seem to have any negative effect on the car according to those that made the switch...
[/quote]

Aren't the 255's a little taller also?Might affect overall gear ratio?
2010 Taurus SHO
Steel Blue Metallic
LMS stage 4 tune

Joleat

I haven't ordered anything yet, but I have been shopping around for a better price. The difference in price from one seller to another is astounding. The prices below include mounting and balancing. For online sellers, I've added extra for mounting and balancing. Also, sales tax is included where applicable.

Sears (with promo code): $666.27

Discount Tire Direct: $756.00 (I asked for a price match and they asked me to give them a call. I'll follow up with results when I call.)

Local Tire Place #1 (family price): $709.14

Local Tire Place #2: $801.36 (This is the original place I was going to purchase them.)

Local Dealership (Not FoMoCo): $896.48

As you can see, there is a significant difference from the least to most expensive.

EDIT: I just wanted to follow up regarding Discount Tire Direct. I just hung up the phone and that place is phenomenal! They only required that I submit a link to the tire, which shows the lower price and they were actually able to beat the price. The final price, shipping included, was $596.00 for four General G-Max AS-03 tires. That is unheard of for a 245/45R20 brand name tire. As long as the rest of the transaction goes this smoothly, I don't see myself ever buying from a different seller.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

DJE624

Just curious.  Those are all for the same tire I assume.  Do they offer different types of balancing?  Like DTD has that "road balance" option.  Some spin the wheel, some "from the old days" just put it on a level and some do the road balancing.  My guy spun mine but the machine also had a "road balance" on it.  Like a roller on a dyno that puts road pressure on the tire as it spins.  Did they include new TPMS kits? (just a stem that adapts to your present sensor.) 

Joleat

I'm only sure of the method used by one of my local tire shops (Local Tire Place #2 in the above pricing). They just spin the wheel. I know there are more accurate methods, but pickings are slim in this neck of the woods. This shop charges $8-$10 to have a tire mounted and balanced and that includes disposal of the old tire. They will also rebalance free-of-charge. It's a pretty fair price from what I've seen. None of the prices I mentioned above include the TPMS kits.

On a side note, I just had to have one of my TPMS sensors replaced a couple of weeks ago.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

BiGMaC

Walmart will mount, spin balance, and reset the TPMSs for $40.00 in Phx, but they won't mount a different size tire than is on the vehicle when you get there... Just did my son's MKS.   Discount Tire here will do any size, same service, for $100... Product liability I guess but makes the first "one up" costly.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

DJE624

Those idiots at walmart kind of screwed me up.  First, yeah, the size.  Then they tried to pull a stem with the chrome cover on it.  Lastly, the put in a bent valve and I woke up the next morning with a flat.  This was on my old 2010 Impala.  I will never go there!