• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Lamin-X Tints and LED conversion

Started by BiGMaC, December 27, 2013, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Looks awesome :thumb: !  Thanks for all the pics & video.  BTW, I think you will be VERY happy with DTBL.  Dan is a great guy, works very hard to deliver an excellent, consistent product.  No worries.

Sidebar:  how are you able to get these ramps to stay in place?  I used to have some a long time ago, and they would slide like crazy on concrete, making the process a bit nervewracking :(
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on December 31, 2013, 04:48:35 AM
Sidebar:  how are you able to get these ramps to stay in place?  I used to have some a long time ago, and they would slide like crazy on concrete, making the process a bit nervewracking :(

In the pics you notice that the ramps are in the soil, not on the driveway.  They are so tall and steep that they would have crushed the lower flexible  front fascia/"air dam" if I had tried to drive up on them.  :nono:

Our yard is literally flood irrigated (all the property owners here are owners of the SanTan Irrigation District) so the ground slopes down from the drive to hold the 6" of water we cover the yard with every two weeks.  It's how we get all the big trees to grow in the desert  :yeah:  ...

There's like a 12" berm with the drive on the high end.  I drove the ramps about 3-4" into the ground to lower the high end... They weren't going anywhere!  :icon_wink:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TouchOfEvil

Looks good and i really like how the tails came out with the tint film on them.
2014 XSport

dalum

I emailed vled and they were happy to send me the new Ford socket adapters free of charge.  Thanks for letting me know they were available.  I haven't forgot about finding the light wire yet I just haven't had time.  I'll get to it as soon as I can.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: dalum on December 31, 2013, 06:17:07 PM
I emailed vled and they were happy to send me the new Ford socket adapters free of charge.  Thanks for letting me know they were available.  I haven't forgot about finding the light wire yet I just haven't had time.  I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Glad vLED accommodated.  For the price they should! 

No Problem on the + headlight wire... when you can i'd really appreciate it, thanks.

They are focusable. I'm going to play with that.  I screwed them all the way back (widest light spread) to reduce the amount of light hitting the reflectors in the headlight cowl since it retracts the lens system.  I can see a lot better to the side and on the road surface with this and I haven't been flashed yet or lit up high on the back of a car.. but they are pretty bright still and I don't know how they'll be in fog... WAY over stock, about 6-8x

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

dalum

There is only one wire (each) that switches and its from the BCM under the steering column to the left HID box then over to the right HID box.

left side - BN-BU wire BCM c2280e pin 2 to headlamp assembly left c1021a pin 1.
right side - BU-GN wire BCM c2280e pin1 to headlamp assembly right c1041a pin 1.

c1021a and c1041a look to be directly behind the side marker lamp so taking the front bumper off and removing the light seems to be the best access to it.  The passanger one is inside a bundle crossing the front of the car but I doubt that it's any easier to get to.
I'm pretty sure its +12  control when light is on but slight chance ground when light is on.  There is a Red wire on pin2 that is Hot at all times that applies the high current to the ballast.  The headlamp assembly is shown to be its own component and isn't clear whats going on inside.

Manual states "When the BCM receives a message requesting the headlamps on, it supplies voltage to the headlamp bulbs (halogen headlamps) or the ballasts ( HID headlamps) within each headlamp assembly."

Our "highbeam" wire just moves the actuator so the previously mentioned wire should be +12 the entire time headlamps are on.  It would be neat to use the high beam control wire with a relay to break the white wire going to the leds so when highs were on leds would go high too.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Thanks dalum....  :beer2: so far so good, but i'll take a look at the car with your diagrams. 

Seems I should be able to wire both to a single headlight wire since it's just a relay in the control module.
Doing the high/low thing might be possible using the shutter wires... I'll have to think about it and get my tester out.

BiGMaC

After a week with the vLED running light undimmed no one has flashed me... including 1 Gilbert PD, 2 AZ DPS, ans 1 Maricopa Co. SO........ For now I'l stay with what i've got there.  I did order a 32" x 24" sheet of the Lamin-x Charcoal film.  My neighbors business is wrapping cars.... when my lamin-X starts turning loose, or in the warmer months.... I spoke with him and he's gonna do a professional job after I smooth all the DOT lettering off.  He promises NO bubbles. I'm a DA... should have had him do it to start!

DJE624

It will look a lot better without the lettering on there.  I had some on my reflectors  but it was up in the corner and they are recessed so you can't even see them unless you bend down and look really close.

BiGMaC

Have considered having the tails painted..... but I need to speak to 4DR's paint and body guy to see if the tuxedo black will work.

Darkside

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 06, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Have considered having the tails painted..... but I need to speak to 4DR's paint and body guy to see if the tuxedo black will work.
I always used a 4/1 mixture, 4 coats clear to one coat base black.
2013 Sho- Livernois tune, cai, stat, H&R springs, Stainless Works downpipes/catback

2009 G8- 447rwhp/411rwtq, Hsv Gts conversion
2006 Jeep Srt8
2003 Mustang Saleen Vert

BiGMaC

Quote from: Darkside on January 06, 2014, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on January 06, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
I always used a 4/1 mixture, 4 coats clear to one coat base black.

Sounds right.  But the tux black is 2 stage before clear... and what I'd like is some of the metalflake in it without having too many shadows with the tails on... ideas?

abnjeffy

I just got my triton's but didn't know anything about a special ford connector or whatever.  mine is a 2013 Taurus, do I need this connector from VLEDs?
---2013 Taurus Limited, non-SHO---

BiGMaC

Quote from: abnjeffy on January 27, 2014, 06:24:57 AM
I just got my triton's but didn't know anything about a special ford connector or whatever.  mine is a 2013 Taurus, do I need this connector from VLEDs?

Yea, The pic below shows what you need with labels.  In the upper left are the adapters which you need.  Kbeck and dalum had the same issue, but just called the vLED company and they sent them the adapters... They go  between the control module and the socket on the factory wiring... They plug in where the parking/turn signal bulb is plugged in and the entire rest of the Triton system plugs into the factory harness through the adapter.  Be sure to secure it with electrical tape after you plug it all in.

BTW, I just screwed the Triton bulbs all the way in (they are focusable) and didn't use the 50% reduction wires... love it, brightest that way, simplest install, and no problems with police or other cars flashing me ever... your choice.
SEE BELOW, Left click the images to enlarge:

Hope this helps