• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Lamin-X Tints and LED conversion

Started by BiGMaC, December 27, 2013, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampRat

I recommend using rubber electrical tape (stretchable) available at Lowes or Home Depot to tape up the adapter that  plugs into the OEM bulb socket . This stuff will NOT let any water in . I use it on all electrical wiring , car or home .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Thanks, Kevin!  Definitely cheaper option.  Lowe's (http://www.lowes.com/pd_78453-98-2155_0_)!  Fuller info at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-4-in-x-22-ft-Temflex-Splicing-Tape-2155/202195401.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

abnjeffy

this thread is helping a lot.  I just contacted VLEDs about the special connector, we will see what they say when they reply. 

Just so I am clear, this is all just plug and play right?  I am not splicing anything on my car no?
---2013 Taurus Limited, non-SHO---

BiGMaC

Quote from: abnjeffy on January 28, 2014, 06:40:43 AM
this thread is helping a lot.  I just contacted VLEDs about the special connector, we will see what they say when they reply. 

Just so I am clear, this is all just plug and play right?  I am not splicing anything on my car no?

Yep! ...unless you want to use the "50% reduction" wire, but you won't.  Just read the directions and familiarize yourself with the pieces..... then start installing afterward.

You might want to call them... I did before I bought.  They are accessible and helpful....plus it may be quicker.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

abnjeffy

Your pictures helped a lot, and I'm not going to use that reduction wire.  I'm just waiting on those Ford-specific adapters to arrive and they're going in.  Did you ever figure out how to get to the side marker bulbs?

I was able to get my hand up there through the wheel well but I couldn't get it out.  I could get my fingers on it but not enough to turn it

BiGMaC

Quote from: abnjeffy on January 29, 2014, 10:59:03 AM
Your pictures helped a lot, and I'm not going to use that reduction wire.  I'm just waiting on those Ford-specific adapters to arrive and they're going in.  Did you ever figure out how to get to the side marker bulbs?

I was able to get my hand up there through the wheel well but I couldn't get it out.  I could get my fingers on it but not enough to turn it

Not yet....I am going to check the wheel wells one of these days...... maybe could be done "by feel" through there with car on jacks, wheels off, and wheel well liners removed.......Took a quick peak with the wheels on, but can't be sure it gives enough access.  If not the only solution is removing the bumper to do the side markers... Design Flaw!!

abnjeffy

Quote from: BiGMaC on January 29, 2014, 11:07:56 AM
Took a quick peak with the wheels on, but can't be sure it gives enough access.  If not the only solution is removing the bumper to do the side markers... Design Flaw!!

I took out the three bolts for the liners and stuck my hand up there with the wheel on.  I think if you had a long pair of needle nose you could get it out, but I don't envision you being able to get it back in.  The wheels and liners are not the problem, it's the other stuff in there, just too narrow to get your hand on the bulb.  I guess with the wheel out you could actually see it better to get it back in

SwampRat

4DR said in an earlier thread on this that if you  take off the wheels and  wheel well covers that the marker bulbs could be changed using needle  nose pliers and that it is a PITA.

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: kbeck59 on January 29, 2014, 12:35:50 PM
4DR said in an earlier thread on this that if you  take off the wheels and  wheel well covers that the marker bulbs could be changed using needle  nose pliers and that it is a PITA.

Why I left them... Got the bulbs, but gonna have to be bored to tackle it for 2 itty bitty bulbs.

thatsmrgimp2u

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 30, 2013, 11:56:28 PM
On to the Switchbacks!

Can you remember what adapters you purchased with these? It would make sense to me that the 3157 parking/turn adapters would be necessary, just didnt see mention of it. Thanks for the awesome writeup!

http://www.vleds.com/v3-wa-5k.html

i think i got it. The adapters you guys are buying is the dual filament option, im guessing.
2011 ISM SHO;  SCT X3 (Unleashed), Airaid Intake, PPE Downpipes, Magnaflow Mufflers and X-pipe with Vibrant resonators, 170 Thermostat, H&R Springs, RX CSS
12.91@107

SwampRat

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

True!... I did use rubber splicing tape under the vinyl electrical tape.  :thumb:  You're right, should have mentioned that... best water seal short of painting them with silicon caulk. also seals out air so that you only have to deal with the slow electrolytic degradation of contacts rather than regular old oxidation and corrosion.