• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Lamin-X Tints and LED conversion

Started by BiGMaC, December 27, 2013, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: dalum on December 27, 2013, 06:21:37 PM
I hope your v3 tritons work.  I had both revision 1 and 2 and neither worked on my car.  I actually killed my bcm with the second revision.  Parking lights worked fine.  When activating the turn signal I would get 1 amber flash then the output to the socket was disabled by the bcm for over current, and the rears would hyper flash.  My mistake was hitting the turn signal consecutively really fast which somehow got around the over current protection.

Even without the load resistor the bcm still disabled the output.  It made no sense because the bulb pulls way more current then the led did.  I got a new wiring harness adapter and socket and am going to try using my own ground and fuses just big enough to power the led's to try again, I just haven't felt like messing with it in the cold.

Bad experience... good info, thanks.  We'll see if the new generation Ford adapter solves the issue.  Wish ford would just put LEDs everywhere from the factory.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

dalum

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 27, 2013, 07:13:20 PM

Bad experience... good info, thanks.  We'll see if the new generation Ford adapter solves the issue.  Wish ford would just put LEDs everywhere from the factory.

What new generation Ford adapter
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

The one they sold me yesterday... talked with them to purchase... We'll see if it works, but the reptold me they were in a new fabrication run and they wouldn't be able ship Till Monday.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

dalum

OOOOOO Defiantly let me know!  Send me a pm please I don't want to miss the news.
2013 Non-PP SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: dalum on December 28, 2013, 12:48:42 AM
OOOOOO Defiantly let me know!  Send me a pm please I don't want to miss the news.

K, Will do. Happy to oblige

SwampRat

let me know and or post problems or issues with the v3  tritons  and the harness adapter that you are getting through Ford ... I have the tritons at home .... just have not had time to install.... thanks .... Kevin

please post the Ford part number as well ...
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Darkside

Mac, I went from having above factory lights to shitty ones.  Luckily I drive most of the time during daylight.  If it didn't look so good I would tear them off.
2013 Sho- Livernois tune, cai, stat, H&R springs, Stainless Works downpipes/catback

2009 G8- 447rwhp/411rwtq, Hsv Gts conversion
2006 Jeep Srt8
2003 Mustang Saleen Vert

BiGMaC

Quote from: Darkside on December 27, 2013, 10:23:32 AM
Looking good!  I'm curious to what your opinion will be with the headlights.  I flat out LOVE the look during the day, but less than thrilled at night.  If you live in a fairly lit area I think they are fine.  I find myself driving around in dark areas with my brights on.  They will cut down the light because I've yet to be flashed driving with the brights on.  My windshield is also tinted so that isn't helping me any either.
Quote from: Darkside on December 28, 2013, 11:04:38 AM
Mac, I went from having above factory lights to shitty ones.  Luckily I drive most of the time during daylight.  If it didn't look so good I would tear them off.

You know, as I studied the car and pondered your experience, I noticed that most of the appearance inside the headlight cowl is black anyway....... so last night I decided to hold off on tinting the heads, at least until I've got the LEDs finished.  No problems with the tails driving last night, but i don't want to be blind at night.  May buy a couple of sheets of the gunsmoke and just tape them in place (adhesive side out) to see about light transmission.  Thanks for the input!

I will be working on a few small bubbles in the Lamin-X tails today.  It is also worth noting that the injection nipples and DOT cert numbers are on the inside of the headlights cowls... BUT are on the outside of tail light lenses.  This causes some surface irregularity where the film cannot completely adhere.

Currently I love the look... drove to the dealer to get the wife's truck last night and several salesman were admiring them and very complimentary on the look. ( also showed it to a couple of BIMI 5s at stop lights going home... LOL)   If I decide to stay with these I'll remove the ones I have now, sand off the nipples, polish the lenses again, and reapply the film to a completely smooth surface. I should have know and done it first anyway.

Pics below taken 36 hours after application of the Lamin-X

Front headlight is mostly black.

Here's an injection nipple and lifted film due to it.

Overall the job still Looks acceptable,,at least for a trial (The wife's truck in the background... Christmas decoration!  Yea, we like black cars, LOL)

More to follow after a few decisions and the last of the LEDs to the front lighting.

BiGMaC

OK!...  vLED shipped yesterday and told me Tuesday.... I paid for routine and they sent it overnite!   :icon_arrow: Service!  :thumb:  They arrived today!... :banana: Just opened the box.  Gonna be a late nite tonite!  :mj_banana:

Here they are.  They are huge with a large heat sink attached.  So I'm better than back on schedule now.

DJE624

Be careful with those bubbles.  A lot of them take care of themselves.  Ask MJH about the best way to deal with them.  When I took the film off my headlights that time there was actually a water bubble a few days later.  I could have sworn when I finished putting the tint on, there was not one bubble anywhere.  I think the molecules might attract each other through capillary action.  Maybe the same with air.  Those darn bubbles seem to appear from nowhere. 

SwampRat

ok .... what about required harness  adapters from Ford to install the V3 tritons  ..... I'm confused ??
Do you have them ?
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

Quote from: DJE624 on December 28, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
Be careful with those bubbles.  A lot of them take care of themselves.  Ask MJH about the best way to deal with them.  When I took the film off my headlights that time there was actually a water bubble a few days later.  I could have sworn when I finished putting the tint on, there was not one bubble anywhere.  I think the molecules might attract each other through capillary action.  Maybe the same with air.  Those darn bubbles seem to appear from nowhere. 

Dave... Thanks, I will... I tried the sewing needle thing... some actually drained water after 36-40 hours,, used heat gently.  Not seeing any new ones ...yet...... This is like an experiment.  I want it to look good, but if I decide to keep it filmed (and I am loving the appearance more and more) I will remove the tails and coat with a sheet rather than precut to get better coverage and eliminate exposed edges.

Quote from: kbeck59 on December 28, 2013, 08:37:19 PM
ok .... what about required harness  adapters from Ford to install the V3 tritons  ..... I'm confused ??
Do you have them ?
Kbeck.... The required ford adapter (socket for headlight cowl) is in the box (below the foam along with a fist full of wires, connectors, gaskets and seals, etc)..... I'll post more detailed photos later before I install.

BiGMaC

Per Kbecks request... and possibly of interest to others... The pic below is the contents of the Triton V3 packaged with labels. left click to enlarge. 
It appears to be plug and play.  I think access to the drivers side headlight cowl will require removal of the air intake. The resistors are in the control module that have attachment holes for a screw.  The 50% reduction light will dim the white part of the switchback when the headlights are on and is optional, but 600 lumen is pretty bright.

SHOdded

Serious looking package there.  Thanks for the pics :)  Do you already have HID, or do you plan to go HID?  I am thinking about how much space you'd have left over in that part of the bay after these Tritons are installed.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on December 29, 2013, 05:24:31 AM
Serious looking package there.  Thanks for the pics :)  Do you already have HID, or do you plan to go HID?  I am thinking about how much space you'd have left over in that part of the bay after these Tritons are installed.

Yes, it came OEM with HID from the Ford, and space is a premium!... we'll see later today.  The HIDs are white, not bluish, which is why I went with the 5000K color temp.... Thanks to geswek for that temp match info.