• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Lamin-X Tints and LED conversion

Started by BiGMaC, December 27, 2013, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Ever Contemplated Tinting The Lights on Your SHO but weren't sure what the color would look like, or what the percent light transmission really meant in terms of visibility...or maybe you were thinking of replacing the incandescent bulbs on your ride with LEDs and just weren't sure. Well here are some pics of my tuxedo black 2013 SHO during and after the job to give you a better idea.  This is not a "how-to" since this has already been covered.  Allow plenty of time on a warm day if decide to tint as it gets tricky and Lamin-X recommends 24 hours to cure before "exposing to the elements".  I'll update this until it's all done.Here we go............

Below are before and after pics of the interior stock first, then with all bulbs replaced with 6K LEDs so it would match the light blue ambient lighting. It is MUCH brighter also. First one is before:

and below is after:

More on the lighting during tint pics and after custom LEDs arrive. 

Next are pics of the tinting of the rear lights with comparison to stock using Lamin-X in charcoal (the darkest of five shades, 70% light transmission).  Pardon the dirty car. Labels and info are above each pic....

1. This is the stock appearance... duh!

2. Below are two pics. I started with the right reflector because it had no compound curves.... OJT!  The lower pic shows sunlight reflecting through the film... so even with the dramatic color change they still work.

3. I stayed on the right side and started the tail light.  The first pic lets you contrast the color change between the outer part  and inner part. I finished the right tail and did the left reflector.  This gives you a side to side comparison.

4. These daylight shots show the lights, flashers, and BU lights on with only the right side filmed.. remember this film blocks 30% of light.  Thanks to mj who gave me a deal on the ultra bright LED BU lights.
...lights and flashers on...

.....Now lights, flashers, and BU lights on... still only the right side done....

5. Here's the rear exterior lighting completed... yea, it got dark while I was wetting, heat gunning, using the squeegee... then peeling it off to get it better again and again.... a little tedious and best done without distraction.

6. Here's a few nighttime shots of the completed job on the rear of the car with lighting
......tailights at night on the driveway......

.......Brake lights with headlights on in the dark garage....

.... This is not a good pic, BUT it allows you to compare the third brakelight with the tails I just filmed.  All the lighting in back is LED.  I think plenty of light for safe visibility is there.

Tomorrow I'm putting Gunsmoke tint on the headlights (1 shade lighter than the tails and transmits 85% of light).
As soon as they get here, Monday i'm promised, I'll be adding hi-power LED amber front side-markers (300 lumen) and V3 Triton 5K LED switchbacks for the front turn signal (600 lumens... with user configurable option to dim the white part of the switchback by 50%... we'll see if I get flashed. 
800 lumen LED puddle lights are on the way too. So there'll be new pics from time to time that let you compare stock with LED and tint on the front.
Finally I've ordered a custom LED projector for under the hood lighting.,.. A big White 40" circle with SHO in black projected on the hood blanket should provide enough light.

Hope this was of some use to everyone who actually got this far... LOL

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Off the edge of the cliff to the darkside!  Would like to see 360 pics taken in the same sitting for best comparison, but the project is coming along VERY well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

You're right!  I forgot.  :homer:
The appearance from the side also changed a lot... for the better I think... but the rear side-markers also get dimmed...

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

bpd1151

Darkside

Looking good!  I'm curious to what your opinion will be with the headlights.  I flat out LOVE the look during the day, but less than thrilled at night.  If you live in a fairly lit area I think they are fine.  I find myself driving around in dark areas with my brights on.  They will cut down the light because I've yet to be flashed driving with the brights on.  My windshield is also tinted so that isn't helping me any either.
2013 Sho- Livernois tune, cai, stat, H&R springs, Stainless Works downpipes/catback

2009 G8- 447rwhp/411rwtq, Hsv Gts conversion
2006 Jeep Srt8
2003 Mustang Saleen Vert

DJE624

Great work Tom!  Those LED tails shine right through the tint when they are on.  It was nice to see how the rear reflectors came out too.  I'll be doing mine in smoked.  A little lighter.  Good luck on the headlights today! 

BiGMaC

Quote from: Darkside on December 27, 2013, 10:23:32 AM
Looking good!  I'm curious to what your opinion will be with the headlights.  I flat out LOVE the look during the day, but less than thrilled at night.  If you live in a fairly lit area I think they are fine.  I find myself driving around in dark areas with my brights on.  They will cut down the light because I've yet to be flashed driving with the brights on.  My windshield is also tinted so that isn't helping me any either.

Darkside..... Thanks. I'll get some pics, likely this PM after it warms up to about 70o and I can apply the film... It will also be interesting to see how they look with a 600 lumen 5K LED switchback

Do you notice much color change from the 5K white on your HID heads.... or just dimming?

BiGMaC

Quote from: DJE624 on December 27, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
Great work Tom!  Those LED tails shine right through the tint when they are on.  It was nice to see how the rear reflectors came out too.  I'll be doing mine in smoked.  A little lighter.  Good luck on the headlights today! 
Thanks Dave...

Smoked will go great with your platinum white!  :thumb:  Charcoal would be too dark I think.   :naughty:  Plus with 85-88% more transmission your lights will be about 25% brighter and the same tint front and rear.

Lost the damn squeegee... I can lose anything and without moving!   :smiley5:  I'll be using your tips like did for the left tail.....

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

I DO!!! does it have a training wheels option for nerds like me  :boom:

SHOdded

mjhpadi

Those seats are great...I have a bench one with wheels from Adam's Polishes...but it doesn't come with the "Oh my God, you're fat" weight capacity rating....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

DJE624

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 27, 2013, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: DJE624 on December 27, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
Thanks Dave...

Smoked will go great with your platinum white!  :thumb:  Charcoal would be too dark I think.   :naughty:  Plus with 85-88% more transmission your lights will be about 25% brighter and the same tint front and rear.

Lost the damn squeegee... I can lose anything and without moving!   :smiley5:  I'll be using your tips like did for the left tail.....

Just doing the rear reflectors in smoke to have a cleaner white/black line in the back.  The headlights will be the light tint to go with the 50% windows.  Just to take the edge off of all the clear stuff.

mjhpadi

Looks great.  I didn't do the reflectors and don't think I will, the red looks OK with the red car, but after seeing how great they came out, it makes me want to get started on working with the extra set of tails I got from DJE624...I've been stalling on getting started on them, but now I have got to get moving.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

dalum

I hope your v3 tritons work.  I had both revision 1 and 2 and neither worked on my car.  I actually killed my bcm with the second revision.  Parking lights worked fine.  When activating the turn signal I would get 1 amber flash then the output to the socket was disabled by the bcm for over current, and the rears would hyper flash.  My mistake was hitting the turn signal consecutively really fast which somehow got around the over current protection.

Even without the load resistor the bcm still disabled the output.  It made no sense because the bulb pulls way more current then the led did.  I got a new wiring harness adapter and socket and am going to try using my own ground and fuses just big enough to power the led's to try again, I just haven't felt like messing with it in the cold.
2013 Non-PP SHO