• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dropping driveshaft for dyno?

Started by shoslow, January 31, 2014, 11:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoslow

I've seen it done on numerous vehicles, but have never done it personally. I haven't done much studying on the taurus' drivetrain, but I know it's not your typical awd setup. Has anyone dried this?

BiGMaC

My relatively ignorant thoughts would be that it could result in problems related to traction control and that it was actually done because the dynos in question don't have AWD capability. 

I would question the validity of the reading for WHP since you won't drive the car without the drivetrain intact.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

shoslow

The main reason would be because it is not an awd dyno, yes. I figured most here probably haven't done it, but I've seen it done on trucks and older skylines, and had heard it was necessary on the newer skyline's on some of the more basic awd dyno's because they were grenading parts.

Josephm

Trucks are way different in the sense that there drive train is primarily 2WD Rear wheels, and on command 4WD. and the GTR awd is way more advanced than ours.

Interested to see how this works out
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

shoslow

Quote from: Josephm on January 31, 2014, 12:10:20 PM
Trucks are way different in the sense that there drive train is primarily 2WD Rear wheels, and on command 4WD. and the GTR awd is way more advanced than ours.

Interested to see how this works out
Exactly. I've seen it done on older skylines. Have heard of it being done on the newer ones for drivetrain reasons.

crash712us

The computer would never tolerate this for one.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

adamantium

What about e-brake on traction control off? E-brake disengages rear drivetrain.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

BiGMaC

Quote from: adamantium on March 14, 2014, 11:11:48 PM

Hadn't heard that... Still, if you want a dyno for an AWD... I'd say do it on an AWD dyno

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

adamantium

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 14, 2014, 11:31:06 PM

Hadn't heard that... Still, if you want a dyno for an AWD... I'd say do it on an AWD dyno

Just read that the other day. Makes sense since the rear is electronically controlled. I engaged the parking brake one click and brought up the AWD power meter and power braked it a little and it showed all power going to the front with none to the rear. It's almost as if ford wants to do smokey front wheel drive burn outs.  :burnout:

BiGMaC

Quote from: adamantium on March 14, 2014, 11:50:27 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on March 14, 2014, 11:31:06 PM

Just read that the other day. Makes sense since the rear is electronically controlled. I engaged the parking brake one click and brought up the AWD power meter and power braked it a little and it showed all power going to the front with none to the rear. It's almost as if ford wants to do smokey front wheel drive burn outs.  :burnout:

I'm intrigued... Where can I read about it?  Is it unique to the XSport .....like the sand mode?

adamantium

Can't remember now. I wanna say somewhere over on the SHO forums. I was reading up on the AWD and somebody mentioned it there. I'll give it a better test tomorrow.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

EcoPowerParts

Don't do it, it won't work and you will have major problems.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

adamantium

Yeah don't think the computer would be to happy about it.

BiGMaC

Quote from: adamantium on March 15, 2014, 09:52:26 AM
Yeah don't think the computer would be to happy about it.

That too. These cars are often smarter than we are... LOL