• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" RDU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

Started by SHOdded, December 21, 2013, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamsho

Quote from: cseverens on February 07, 2018, 11:35:49 AM
the shop wouldn't do it. they said ford told them to use a special pump to suck it out and refill it, which they don't have. they said the rear crossmember gets in the way of removing the rear cover. guess I'm s-o-l for now.

That is such BS!!!  There is an access hol e in the rear subframe to access tge drain/fill hole on th e rear diff cover.   Any kinda suction pump will pull the fluid out.  Filling it, is a non issue.  Hand pump you can reill.  I went and bought another cover and made a drain plug to make fluid changes easier.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

cseverens

so, if anyone somewhat nearby that has done this wants to make some extra money, hit me up. I was hoping to have it done before the florida trip, but that is unlikely now.
2013 Ford Flex Limited E/B

AJP turbo

Quote from: bamsho on February 07, 2018, 11:47:06 AM
Quote from: cseverens on February 07, 2018, 11:35:49 AM
the shop wouldn't do it. they said ford told them to use a special pump to suck it out and refill it, which they don't have. they said the rear crossmember gets in the way of removing the rear cover. guess I'm s-o-l for now.

That is such BS!!!  There is an access hol e in the rear subframe to access tge drain/fill hole on th e rear diff cover.   Any kinda suction pump will pull the fluid out.  Filling it, is a non issue.  Hand pump you can reill.  I went and bought another cover and made a drain plug to make fluid changes easier.

Yes it is...Do yourself a favor....Never ever go to that shop for anything....If you can change your own oil then you can do this job...The subframe doesn't get in the way of anything!.WOW just WOW. It's mind blowing that a real shop would say this...No vcuum pump needed! A small tube of RTV and gear oil and some sockets and a ratchet......Don't ever go to that shop...They are either stupid or crooked....In either case there is never a need to go there....That's what's needed to put them out of business.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

avidmotion

So what is the forum recommended lube for the rear diff and how much. My rear whole diff end to end was replaced at 44,000 miles I have 63,500 now and want to replace with some good stuff then I will leave alone for awhile. Doing the PTU fluid this week with Amsoil severe duty, it too was replaced at 44,000. I will replace the PTU fluid every 20 or 30,000 miles...
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

Redline Lightweight Shockproof or SuperLightWeight Shockproof should work well for the RDU.  Also Amsoil Severe Gear.  Quantity is nearly 36 oz, IIRC.  2.4 pints.

You can actually clean out the RDU if you choose to do so since it is easy to remove the cover.  Then seal the cover back onto the RDU, allow to cure, fill with new fluid via fill hole.

bamsho has a HOWTO on installing a drain plug for the RDU if you care to do that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

I put royal purple in last fluid change. I'm currently in the process of changing over to amsoil severe gear for PTU and RDU
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

6500rpm

A few things that might help you guys. 1) They make square drives that fit inside a ratchet wrench that buys you some room on the plug, and 2) as any NASCAR fan should know-take a sawzall and lop off that extra exhaust hanger that serves no purpose on our car (SHO) and hit it with some black paint.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!