• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" RDU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

Started by SHOdded, December 21, 2013, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

I guess if you believe it's "lifetime fluid" like ford suggests then don't change it..but they said the same about the ptu...so for the little effort and time that it takes id put the best in there
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Absolutely NOT the way to think about this.  Sure the RDU fluid lasts longer, but fluid does wear out.  Considering that the newer MYs can send nearly 100% power (be it momentary) to the back wheels, easy to justify why.

Now, does the PTU need more maintenance.  Definitely.  It does most of the heavy lifting, being in a FWD-biased system.  So you do not have to service the RDU as often as the PTU.  But preventive maintenance is good practice, period.  RDUs have been known to vent fluid, and grind and whine their way to death.  Changing the fluid is easy peasy compared to the PTU.  Just do it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

The RDU only takes 2.4 pints (1.15L) which is roughly a Quart of oil for a peace of mind!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

I didn't know Ford claimed the rear diff fluid was lifetime, but my experience has been that the fluid in the back lasts a long time, like 100k+ miles. And this is also from personal experience with RWD cars that send 100% of the power to the back all the time 24/7. I know the AWD meter on the instrument panel shows a lot of power going to the back wheels during takeoff (even on my 2014 SHO) but it's not wearing down the fluid anytime soon. The PTU fluid should be changed every 20k miles, even with the factory "cooler".

Again if you feel the need to spend the money on Amsoil for the rear diff to make yourself feel better, it's not going to hurt but my recommendation is to not bother. Maybe change it at high mileage (100k miles or so) if you feel the need.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

SHOdded

This forum officially recommends:  Change the RDU fluid at every other PTU fluid change.  Motorcraft will probably be fine, but if you can step up to a top notch product like Amsoil or Redline, why not? 

Just like with engine oil, the change interval is just as if not more important.  The "lower" the quality of fluid you use, the more often you should be changing it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Normal vs Severe conditions!  Z

Ford goes even further and for some models for normal driving conditions does not recommend changing synthetic gear oil in rear axles and power take off (PTO) units (transfer cases), saying they are lubricated for life. However, we found plenty of disagreement among technical experts.

http://www.testingautos.com/car_care/how-often-to-change-gear-oil.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Well, one could have the "good enough" attitude about fluids but...

The Quantum Blue PTU/RDU made an immediate difference in the power going to the rear of the 15

The car felt different, the chassis felt looser, kind of felt like the rear of the car "decoupled" from the front.

The rears spun immediately with part throttle from a stop and that was from the second I left the dealership. Rear roasty roast in first became easy to invoke with nothing but a blip of the throttle and the car became a handful in the rain as I could get the car completely sideways. I actually had to have Brad adjust my throttle settings to tame it a bit because I came very close to completely losing it one day on my way to work.

Hows that possible? Less friction and heat equals more power to the ground.

Brian claimed a complete fluid change was good for 15-35 HP at the wheels depending on platform and I tend to believe that based on my experience.

I went with Amsoil all the way around this time so I can see if the effect is the same (Amsoil is about half the price of QB fluids) but if not I will drain out the Amsoil and replace with QB.

Personally I'd rather spend money on high quality fluids that protect my investment instead bolt ons that really don't do squat.

cseverens

Quote from: metroplex on January 31, 2018, 05:42:36 PM
I didn't know Ford claimed the rear diff fluid was lifetime, but my experience has been that the fluid in the back lasts a long time, like 100k+ miles. Maybe change it at high mileage (100k miles or so) if you feel the need.

I have 91k on her now. I bought it less than 2 years ago with 42k miles on it. I don't believe in lifetime fluids.
2013 Ford Flex Limited E/B

SHOdded

Generally the rule to follow with buying a used vehicle is to assume no maintenance has been done.  And at the very least, R&R all the fluids.

lamrith

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 31, 2018, 10:24:19 PM
I went with Amsoil all the way around this time so I can see if the effect is the same (Amsoil is about half the price of QB fluids) but if not I will drain out the Amsoil and replace with QB.
Keep us posted, I am close to oil change time and while she is up in the air showing her naughty bits I might as well give her a thorough vaccination panel...  I did PTU at last oil change, RDU now, and then synch them up in next series.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

cseverens

i dropped her off at the shop this morning. we'll see what happens.

SHOdded

Good luck, excited to hear about the results :D

cseverens

it'll get a work out right away. tomorrow I have to go to RI, so about 150 miles round trip. then I have work in nh this weekend, so about another 520 miles roundtrip there, and then next Friday I hit the road for Disney. roundtrip is about 2800 miles.

SHOdded

cseverens

the shop wouldn't do it. they said ford told them to use a special pump to suck it out and refill it, which they don't have. they said the rear crossmember gets in the way of removing the rear cover. guess I'm s-o-l for now.