• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" RDU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

Started by SHOdded, December 21, 2013, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Quote from: metroplex on September 03, 2016, 09:09:49 PM
So the electronic clutch mechanism is in contact with the RdU gear oil?

It doesn't seem to be actually part of the differential fluid system: http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/how-does-the-awd-work.119781/
Here some info on the AWD for your reading pleasure.  Z  Police-only Cooling
The police version of AWD has three unique features to improve durability during severe use. First, the Power Transfer Unit on the AWD system uses a police-only auxiliary cooler. The retail AWD unit is air cooled, i.e., the aluminum housing dissipates heat to the surrounding air. When the vehicle is stationary, the amount of cooling is obviously less than when the vehicle is moving.
On the police AWD unit, the front housing of the Power Transfer Unit has a special water jacket cast into the assembly. The integral PTU auxiliary cooler is part of the water cooling system. That means the cooling remains "active" since the cooling water is constantly circulated, whether the police vehicle is moving or stationary. The PTU cooler is plumbed into the bottom of the radiator, where the water is cooler than at the top of the radiator.
Second, the Power Transfer Unit uses an internal temperature sensor, not found on the retail unit. A module keeps track of oil temperature in the PTU and the amount of time spent at that temperature. An electric clutch pack engages and disengages as torque is transferred to the rear wheels
Both the PI Sedan and PI Utility default to FWD under normal conditions. As the front wheels slip, torque is selectively diverted to the rear wheels. A time versus temp logarithm activates an Oil Minder light in the driver message center if and when it is time to change the PTU fluid. The special synthetic oil may last 100K miles in normal police use.
Third, the Rear Differential Unit on the police version uses a fluid-filled clutch pack, while the retail version uses dry clutches. The fluid-filled RDU can withstand more severe duty.
The cooling ability of the police-only auxiliary radiator-water jacket combination was tested in 110 deg. F weather. Hard driving—where power is constantly shifting from front to rear, back and forth—can take many different forms.
Think aggressive driving during a city pursuit: hard throttle for a city block, 90-degree turn, hard throttle, where torque definitely shifts from front to rear. Also think getting unstuck in desert sand. Even though the vehicle and wheel speeds are not high, torque is constantly shifting between the front and rear spinning wheels.
Under the worst conditions of high-torque, clutch engagement and disengagement, the synthetic oil reached temperatures around 195 deg F. The special lube is rated for temps just over 500 deg F. The air-to-water cooler works.   http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=5091

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

FWIW the Gear Wrench pass-thru ratchet worked perfectly, it was slim enough to slip between the cradle and fill plug either from the bottom or from the top!
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

thmullan

Called my dealer the other day to get a quote on having the PTU and RDU fluid swapped out and they said they wouldn't do it.  Claimed there is no drain plugs to do so.  Guess I'll do it myself one weekend when I have time.
2014 Tuxedo Black Metallic SHO
AirRaid CAI, SW Downpipes, Corsa exhaust. 

2014 Honda CBR 1000RR
1968 Chrysler 300 TNT Convertible

sholxgt

I suggest finding out where the Police service their Interceptors and try them.  Other option is a Lincoln dealer.  My wife works at a Lincoln dealer and they don't see anything odd with the request.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Linemonkey

Quote from: ZSHO on February 22, 2015, 07:45:32 AM
I purchased a cheap but pretty descent suction gun along with an 3/8 hose extender,can probably do the CAC or maybe other applications as soon it gets warmer out.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD4YNY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How did that Amazon suction gun work out, for you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

metroplex

I just used suction pumps from Harbor Freight and Advance Auto
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Zorin

First and foremost, Thanks for the How-to Glock.  I was able to get the time today to complete this project.  Car has about 42k+ miles.  I was able to extract about 50oz. of fluid by jacking the front of the car of higher then the back end. Fluid still looked really good for the amount of miles.
2011PP, Kona Blue, 255/45/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 3 Bar, 170 stat, LMS 93+Race Tune with ACES IV, Quantum Blue Fluids.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Zorin

Yes it does, especially how I drive, lol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2011PP, Kona Blue, 255/45/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 3 Bar, 170 stat, LMS 93+Race Tune with ACES IV, Quantum Blue Fluids.

Linemonkey

Has anyone with a 13+ PP pulled this off without a lift? Give us a drain plug, then cover it up...brilliant

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

Linemonkey

Found the thread in how-to's. My bad

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

cseverens

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 22, 2015, 03:06:39 PM
I just popped the cover when I changed mine. Just have to buy some RTV and you can wipe out more old fluid with a towel.

no issues with this? I want to have mine replaced soon, and the ford workshop manual says if the rdu cover is stamped steel (basically non ecoboost rdu), you can pop it off to drain and silicone it back up. it states that if the cover is aluminum (ecoboost) replace the rdu, it's not serviceable (even though there is a plug in the cover...). I would rather have the mechanic remove the cover and get all the crappy 80w90 out and replace with my 75w90 amsoil.
2013 Ford Flex Limited E/B

metroplex

In my honest opinion, don't bother changing the rear differential gear oil. On my older RWD cars, I could punish the heck out of them after 100k miles using non-synth 80W-90 and the gear oil looked fine with minimal metal shavings. On the D3/D4 AWD vehicles, the rear differential is a much smaller unit and you're not sending all the power to the back. Plus, these are essentially open carriers as well so there are no clutch/steel packs or torsen gears spinning around. I wouldn't bother, but if you absolutely want to change it, a suction pump would make it easier without having to pull the cover or mess with RTV/sealing.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

AJP turbo

Quote from: cseverens on January 31, 2018, 03:36:26 PM
I just popped the cover when I changed mine. Just have to buy some RTV and you can wipe out more old fluid with a towel.

no issues with this? I want to have mine replaced soon, and the ford workshop manual says if the rdu cover is stamped steel (basically non ecoboost rdu), you can pop it off to drain and silicone it back up. it states that if the cover is aluminum (ecoboost) replace the rdu, it's not serviceable (even though there is a plug in the cover...). I would rather have the mechanic remove the cover and get all the crappy 80w90 out and replace with my 75w90 amsoil.

DOn't overthink it...No issues....It's just like any other rear end and there was shavings on the magnet ...I changed my fluid with less than 2k on the car to put real synthetic gear lube in. It's absolutely serviceable...I don't remember if the clutches in the electronic portion of the RDU are exposed to fluid or not but for me it's worth the 15$ qt of amsoil and a tube of RTV to have the best stuff in there.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

metroplex

Quote from: AJP turbo on January 31, 2018, 04:34:52 PM
Quote from: cseverens on January 31, 2018, 03:36:26 PM

DOn't overthink it...No issues....It's just like any other rear end and there was shavings on the magnet ...I changed my fluid with less than 2k on the car to put real synthetic gear lube in. It's absolutely serviceable...I don't remember if the clutches in the electronic portion of the RDU are exposed to fluid or not but for me it's worth the 15$ qt of amsoil and a tube of RTV to have the best stuff in there.

The rear differential is separate from the viscous coupling unit. I guess use whatever makes you think it is running better, but my recommendation is to save your money and time and not bother with the rear differential on the D3/D4 AWD vehicles.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph