• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" RDU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

Started by SHOdded, December 21, 2013, 12:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Originally posted by glock-coma

Changed RDU fluid today
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Just thought I would post some pics

Here are some DIY 2"x12" car ramps I made.
Found these over @ evolutionm forum
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-g...bout-40-a.html

I used a Hydro-Turf oil extractor and a quart fluid pump both found on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil...sim_sbs_auto_1

Pic of RDU fill plug....I used a 3/8 drive ratchet to remove it. The hole is pretty shallow, so the ratchet will not go completely in. Anyone know why that exhaust hangar is there?
There is not a bracket on the pipe below it

Drain plug before cleaning, and after. Some metal filings, but nothing to worry about

I couldn't completely warm up the fluid for easier extraction, I didn't want to deal with a hot exhaust while under the car. It was moving very slowly through the tube.

I got out as much as I could, about 32 ounces by weight.
The fluid was pretty nasty. It was the consistency of syrup, maybe a little thicker

Here is a side by side of old fomoco "lifetime" fluid and new redline 75-w90

Wasn't that hard of a job, the pump just took awhile because of the thickness of the fluid.
While I was waiting, I also changed the spark plugs to the new updated part number CYFS-12Y-3. Probably going to do the PTU fluid next week.

Last edited by glock-coma; 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM.

12/4/2015:  Thanks for the re-linked images, glock!  Much appreciated :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

IHeartGroceries

Lovely how-to. How'd that extractor pump work? I think I'll pick one up.

So, to be clear...

The RDU has a fill plug only. No drain. Thats where a pump or suction device comes in.

How about the PTU? Aux cooler (Perf. package) equipped SHOs have a fill AND drain on the PTU, correct? Both accessable by removing one or both primary cats. But those without the aux cooler do NOT have a drain, thus require a suction device as well. Is that correct?
2013 SHO PP

ZSHO

I purchased a cheap but pretty descent suction gun along with an 3/8 hose extender,can probably do the CAC or maybe other applications as soon it gets warmer out.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD4YNY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

I just popped the cover when I changed mine. Just have to buy some RTV and you can wipe out more old fluid with a towel.

ALso meant to add awhile back when I changed my PTU the fluid looked ok but it was only at about 5K miles. People were wondering what relatively new fluid looked like since people were seeing bad fluid at 20k. I wanted to change mine before it had a chance to turn bad.

And I'm not sure but I don't think it would do any good to drive the car to try and heat up the Rear diff because I think the clutch pack that activates the rear is in the PTU and only comes on when needed. I don't think the driveshaft spins until needed.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

I would think the driveshaft would spin as long as the engine is running/ trans is not in neutral or park to avoid the startup inertia, no?  Should still take longer to warm up the RDU though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on February 22, 2015, 03:43:36 PM
I would think the driveshaft would spin as long as the engine is running/ trans is not in neutral or park to avoid the startup inertia, no?  Should still take longer to warm up the RDU though.

Now that I think of it I think you are right, the clutch packs in the PTU just engage to link the 2 when needed.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

crash712us

That not correct. The clutch is a part of the RDU. The PTU is always engaged and the drive shaft is alway spinning. The electronically controlled clutch engaged RDU when needed.  There is no clutches in the PTU what so ever.
electronic clutch circled in red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Gray Brick

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

joe raptor

metroplex

How did y'all stick that ratchet in there? My standard 3/8" drive ratchet won't fit because of the exhaust hanger and that IRS cradle. I'd have to get a really slim ratchet in there?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

pmezo33

Quote from: metroplex on September 03, 2016, 03:34:44 PM
How did y'all stick that ratchet in there? My standard 3/8" drive ratchet won't fit because of the exhaust hanger and that IRS cradle. I'd have to get a really slim ratchet in there?

You need to go from the top and fish the ratchet down and into the plug.  It's tight, but it will fit. 

glock-coma

I used several 3/8" extensions through the passenger side wheel well maybe a crows foot wrench with a 3/8" adapter would work
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

metroplex

I tried going from the top, it almost fit. I have a Gear Wrench pass-thru wrench set that I should have thought to try, it's like 1/4" thinner than my normal ratchet.

Is the RDU just an open differential? Is there any merit in using some Lubegard Gear Fluid additive (which is supposed to help reduce temperature and reduce friction) to help out the RDU and the PTU given that we don't have a lot of oil to work with?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

slurppie

The RDU uses a electronically controlled clutch so I wouldn't use anything that reduced friction.

sent from my speak n' spell using tin cans and string
2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

metroplex

So the electronic clutch mechanism is in contact with the RdU gear oil?

It doesn't seem to be actually part of the differential fluid system: http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/how-does-the-awd-work.119781/
12.4 @ 110.9 mph