• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" PTU Fluid Exchange - glock-coma

Started by SHOdded, December 21, 2013, 12:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X sport

Hello all new here but I had a quick question. I just got a Explorer sport with 44,000 mile 2014. I want to change the pdu oil. I'm a big believer in amsoil and wonder if anyone else tried it. It's my understanding it's 75 145 gear oil just wonder if this is OK to do or does Ford oil have some special additive that's required

ZSHO

Quote from: X sport on January 29, 2017, 11:39:33 AM
Hello all new here but I had a quick question. I just got a Explorer sport with 44,000 mile 2014. I want to change the pdu oil. I'm a big believer in amsoil and wonder if anyone else tried it. It's my understanding it's 75 145 gear oil just wonder if this is OK to do or does Ford oil have some special additive that's required
I would honestly say Amsoil & Redline to be far superior than any other brands on the market.IMHO.and your XSport will indeed thank you later and due setup an intro for yourself simply by following the below link and welcome.  Z
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear is what I put in my PTU @ 30,000 mi.

A change now is a good idea. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

pmezo33

Amsoil is top quality stuff.  Can't go wrong with anything they sell.

I use Royal Purple for the PTU and have been happy with it.  Just another option since the Amsoil isn't as easy to find.

No special additives needed.  Just use 75w140.

14SHOCAR

^^ One of my best friends. Happy to have him join us! I love his black Explorer Sport!
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

jbeez

All the pics just broke in this first post for the howto, any chance of having them hosted somewhere else, or does anyone have a copy of that post PDF printed with the pics embedded?
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

SHOdded

Yeah, they want to charge $400/yr just for hosting a few measly pics.  Nincompoops.  I guess I will have to move the pics somewhere else or figure out how to post them inline in attachment format.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

I'm pretty sure I  can still access these or even might have them in my phone. I can  re-download them through the Tapatalk app if needed.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

I can still see the pics from the Tapatalk app.
Must be a browser thing with the broken links.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

I actually relinked them from the attachments in the new post above.  Works out ok.  May create a thread with attached images instead and use for linking, as the broken links are discovered and repaired.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Windstang

With regard to the question of whether or not to change the PTU oil and what it looked like, when I changed mine at 100K (I put in a drain plug), it was disgusting looking - thick, gooey and black and nothing like what would have gone in. I changed it about 6 times in a 2 week period and once flushed it with tranny fluid as a cleaning agent to get more of the goo out. After that when I changed at about 15K intervals it is much cleaner than it was at the initial change and no issues with the PTU at 160K.

As far as whether or not is it necessary, a friend once said "it's cheaper to change oil than parts" and since the oil was as bad as it was, a PTU oil change is cheap insurance regardless of Ford's recommendation of it being a lifetime fill. It did last through the warranty period and that is Ford's concern. As many others have surmised, I also think that since it is so close to the exhaust, this of course doesn't help the oil life. What is the downside to a PTU oil change - $20 now that I have a drain and I do it myself.

GhostlyGrenade

i wonder if adding a drain would actually raise the risk of failure by weakening the case....maybe it doesnt make much difference, but ya gotta wonder.
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

SHOdded

Hasn't caused any issues in any of the installations I have seen done so far in the last few years.

Macgyver

Someone cracked one the other day right near the drain plug. Cant remember who.

Windstang

Probably caused from using a breaker bar to tighten up a bolt or the drain plug!
Sometimes doing something gently is way better than "bigger is better".
And they make torque wrenches for a reason. I change a water pump on my Envoy recently and since the bolts were going into an aluminum block all recommendations were to follow the torque specs which were very low so the bolts wouldn't strip the threads out. The PTU case is aluminum so overtightening the drain plug, if it's steel, could cause splits in the surrounding case.