• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

XSport front lic plate delete

Started by bigmoneycloser, December 21, 2013, 11:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoneycloser

So I decided I was gonna remove the front license plate. Even NJ frowns upon this..
Oh well...lol
Here are some pics..
And the part I used from auto zone to fill plate bracket holes..
It took 2minutes..lol

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

DJE624

Cool.  I have been thinking about that.  I have touch up.  Maybe a good ten coats would match them up! 

EcoBrick Bob

A friend in IA came up with a flip up plate for his Vette that has become a traveling flip-up as he gets a new one every year. He flips it up when he drives it, as patrol stopped him routinely before and started ticketing him (no more warnings,,).  You might want to try something like that if you have issues.

My FL dealer put their "Tamiami Ford" plate on my Flex, even though Florida doesn't require front plates.  I tried filling in holes... plugging holes.. painting holes... and finally put a "Naples Zoo" plate on front... because I am an ANIMAL!!! (that needs to be locked up most of the time... but I digress...LOL)
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

BiGMaC

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on December 21, 2013, 11:12:35 AM
So I decided I was gonna remove the front license plate. Even NJ frowns upon this..
Oh well...lol
Here are some pics..
And the part I used from auto zone to fill plate bracket holes..
It took 2minutes..lol

Cool idea... and looks great!

I prefer the smoother look too..as you can see in my avatar to left.  Thank goodness AZ doesn't require front plates!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FracaSHO

Front plates are required by law in IL.  But in 11 years and 3 cars with no front plates, I have only been scolded by a cop twice. Both times I was pulled over for a different reason, speeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

BiGMaC

Quote from: DJE624 on December 21, 2013, 11:16:28 AM
Cool.  I have been thinking about that.  I have touch up.  Maybe a good ten coats would match them up! 

It would.. It's one of those small things that makes a big appearance improvement. maybe use an airbrush like for plastic model cars to save paint... from any hobby store.

I was lucky... mine came without holes.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

DJE624

It's a cheap part I'm sure. May try it.  The problem is that the White Platinum touch up is just this side of clear. 

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: DJE624 on December 21, 2013, 11:48:57 AM
It's a cheap part I'm sure. May try it.  The problem is that the White Platinum touch up is just this side of clear. 

The tux black touch-up is a two step... base and CC... I'm believe platinum is the same... http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-Touch-Platinum-Basecoat-Topcoat/dp/B00BR05EEY

Lanson

If you want to have them pre-shot with paint, these guys do a good job

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11_78

I've got a set installed on my Flex.

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

bigmoneycloser

Like a  dumbass... I tried to rub out the very minor scratches with a turtle compound wax..
I went a little too hard I guess and it looks like I rubbed the clear off..
Not very bad and most won't notice... But I will..

Is there anything out there that can restore or am I body shop bound?
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

DJE624

If it's just a little cloudy you might be able to shine it up with a little carnauba wax?

bigmoneycloser

Yes
Just cloudy.
I will try that tomorrow.
Thx
2014 Explorer Sport 401A

bigmoneycloser

2014 Explorer Sport 401A

BiGMaC

You can hide it with wax... carnuba definitelyvwill do it, but it melts at1400, so you'll be chasing it frequently in the summer sun. You will also lose the UV resistance offered by the clear coat so it will eventually fade and create a hologram of the area no matter what you do besides an actual repair.

Clear coats only run about .3-.4 microns thick on the Fords... for comparison, a red blood cell is 7 microns in diameter.

There are several CC repair kits available, just get one intended for cars or aviation use... and ford will sell you the CC. (I'v always done it with Ford paint)  You could try a couple of coats of new clear coat with an airbrush locally on the area.  Do a light scuffing with 0000 steal wool  LIGHT! first, then an IPA wipe to get all the waxes and sealers off the area.... After spraying let it cure and keep it dry for about 7 days.  Then polish the entire area with very fine polish and do final polish with Maguiar's scratch-X 2.0.

If you try to repair and you can't live with the results you can always go to a body shop...... get a good shop though, they hardley ever finish it like a paint correction job and it sounds like you're particular like me.