• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Stereo Upgrade #2: Prep for Install

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, December 06, 2013, 10:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolk1

I havent really looked into it, just what he was mentioning.

Would I need to get the CL-SS1 on top doing a CL441dsp? Or would the CL441 be enough by itself?

Guy on ebay is selling both used for a combined price of $225. 

Fast SHO

2014 SHO PP

Lanson

Quote from: Kolk1 on December 10, 2013, 09:32:30 AM
Another idea that was brought up to me by the owner of JMLaudio, he stopped by my shop and hung out with me for a little bit the other day so I always like to pick his brain.

He mentioned he could de-code the factory radio. Basically taking out all the built in processors and THX programming out of the radio, and it would make it a flat signal no matter where the volume knob is set. He said thats the only way he feels is the correct way to keep the factory radio and put a good SQ system into the newer fords. Then went on about how even if you run a processor on our cars, since the EQ the radio puts out is constantly changing, the only other half assed way without decoding the radio, is to put the volume at a constant spot on the radio(never touch it again) then use the EQ to level everything out at the one specific volume setting, then just adjust the volume on the EQ to raise and lower your volume from now on.

Im just wondering in my eyes if its worth all the time and money over what I already have. I love the way mine sounds right now, wouldnt mind getting better amps, but besides that I think ive pretty much hit the wall of point of diminishing returns. I mean, I might buy that Kicker Front Stage I can get for $100 bucks so I can get rid of my cheap Line out put converters, but thats about it.

I dealt with the logic of this in my Mazdaspeed 3.  Same problem.  The head unit boosted via mild EQ as the volume was raised, and then a cut was put at the upper volume limit on the bass (to save the cheesy speakers).  This was back in the 3sixty.2 days.  Bottom line, the solution there was to tune the 3sixty.2 at a happy medium listening volume, and in the rare instance that I wanted to "crank it", I would use the auxiliary volume knob which was a pure gain dial.

The Flex's Sony system (my 2010 model) had a similar boost-cut effect, but the MS8 seemed to handle this much better.  My 2013 Non-Sony system is almost dead-flat and is AMAZING sounding.  At full-tilt-boogey my 2013 setup is easily the best sounding system I've created.  Not the loudest but certainly the most realistic and entertaining.  The MS8's spacial processing is my not-so-secret weapon for this.  That, and very aggressive deadening and sealing techniques in the tin-can doors of the Flex.  Also lots of deadener and foam everywhere else.  :)

Bottom line, you can overcome a boost-cut auto EQ by creating a "happy medium" listening volume.  Any louder and chances are your ears will lose sensitivity anyway, and any quieter and you'll not really by listening. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SRT82ECOBOOST

So it would be of benefit to have maximum output of the system for half volume on the OEM head unit? I also know this can be locked in with the Mykey setting to have the volume not go beyond a certain setting so you can not over play the system's limit.
It also seems like Audiocontrol addresses the bass roll-off with their Accubass processing:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/645207/OEM-Integration/Two-Channel-Line-Out-Converter-with-AccuBASStm-and-Subwoofer-Control----LC2i.html
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

Lanson

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on December 10, 2013, 11:13:19 AM
So it would be of benefit to have maximum output of the system for half volume on the OEM head unit? I also know this can be locked in with the Mykey setting to have the volume not go beyond a certain setting so you can not over play the system's limit.
It also seems like Audiocontrol addresses the bass roll-off with their Accubass processing:
http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/645207/OEM-Integration/Two-Channel-Line-Out-Converter-with-AccuBASStm-and-Subwoofer-Control----LC2i.html

It becomes an option.  The boost-cut effect isn't very pronounced until the extremes of the dial.  On my 2010 model, I had to adjust the bass output more than I do the 2013, but all I did was cut or boost in the head unit one click up or down, and that's enough compensation.  Also keep in mind that your "reference volume" will often be much louder than the actual recorded volume of the music you play.  Most of the music I play (EDM) is recorded about 3-6dB under my reference volume peak, so there's good headroom.  You guys won't see me recommending any AC products anytime soon though.  I believe they have the technology and capability to be the baddest boys on the block in the processing biz, but they are stuck in the dark ages.  By choice.

If someone took away my MS8, I'd regroup with a MiniDSP solution I think. 

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SRT82ECOBOOST

I am have researched MiniDSP for home theater applications, but not car audio.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

Fast SHO

2014 SHO PP

SRT82ECOBOOST

Are the front door speakers the only speakers that receive a full range signal?

dalum

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on December 10, 2013, 09:54:10 AM
I will ask the questions because I just do not know the answers.
-Does anyone know where the sound shaping for the Sony system takes place? Is the DSP in the head unit or in the amplifier?
-Can you hook up aftermarket amps before the audio signal passes through Sony amplifier?

I believe what we would normally think of as a head unit is nothing more than a user interface.  On my 13 is seems connected to the amp/dsp via a digital bus.  I'm finishing up vacation but ill look in my shop manual again when I get home Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non-PP SHO

Kolk1

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on December 10, 2013, 07:03:38 PM
Are the front door speakers the only speakers that receive a full range signal?

In my findings. Yes.

Even when I just wanted to only hook up subs, the factory subs I thought were crossed over too low, and the rear doors are set to HPF. So for me, only the fronts would work, so I could cross them over where I wanted at the amp.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 08, 2013, 03:01:49 PM
Anyone have any reviews of the Scosche system?
http://www.scosche.com/2010-up-ford-taurus-double-din-and-din-with-pocket-installation-kit

My initial upgrade plans was as you guys spoke. But with this, since I don't have navigation, it can now be a part of the stereo. Now a whole slew of head units open up. And, all climate controls become touch screen operated.

Complete. Pix can be seen here!

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1540.60;topicseen

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint