• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Kill of the Day: Ecoboost vs. the World

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, December 05, 2013, 09:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOnUup

Thx for the condolences fellas.

I was riding bumper to bumper with a Z28 sort of seeing if he'd play around and as I was giving up on it, this Mustang comes up to mess with me.

Man it sounded really solid, not just loud, but solid crisp power. The way a Mustang should sound. Sort of had the feeling it wasn't gonna be a win as he shook the SHO with a display of the pipes. But I wasn't gonna turn down the offer to compare Ford powerplants.

So we (he) slowed it down to about 25 from the 50 we were cruising. I went to manual mode to try and fight the little turbo lag still there without the dpipes. Had it in 3rd at first but as we slowed quickly the rpm's dropped and I heard him finally start to power up and didn't get a chance to drop to 2nd before he lurched out. This put me a car back quick and with his seemingly cautious shift into next gear I pulled up on him some and then as I shifted a bit early he pulls again and we were off the pedals both ways.

Being a Mustang fan forever it was nice to see a quality one in action. It was grey and blacked out too. So didn't take it that bad, but did have thoughts on what mods are next instantly pop into my head.

Would've been cool to try it from a stop, where we make up the power differences.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FoMoCoSHO

Rich, I'm betting money the only reason you lost is because you were 2 gears high.

At 25 the ecm will give you 1st gear in D,M, or S with a 2013. There's really no better sweet spot as you are downshifting right in to 400+ lb/ft of torque. Make sure your TC is off or it might dampen the fun.

When I give rides I always show off the 25 2-1 downshift and that is the one that make jaws hit the weather techs. It is brutal and neck snapping.

I don't know about LMS but I know there's no way in hell I'm going to outsmart or shift quicker than my Torrie enhanced shifting. All I do is pull it into Sport and stand on it. I only use paddles if I want to hold a gear on a windy road.

From what I've read about LMS tunes I'm guessing the tranny performs equally as well.

SHOnUup

You know I keep going over this in my head. At the 50 mph where we knew it was gonna go down 3rd felt ok, not prime. At times around that speed I get sloppy takeoff if I don't do a slight Rev to get it to drop enough gears and didn't want to risk it. He started downshifting and I was just late. If I'd of known we were gonna slow down to the 25 mph area, auto all day....that jump is phenomenal and is where I pull my best #'s on torque ....

I really think that Cobra had a bunch more though, I could be wrong...wish I would've had a better hit though...maybe we meet again

Rich

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

jayskycj

You guys have really touched on important stuff when it comes to going at it on a roll.  For me 20 to 25 is just insane!  Then if going around 50 like mentioned, its like I have half the power, which could equal devastating results with your otherwise fast car.  I honestly think the fairest race is from a dig.  If you are too afraid to line up with my grocery getter from a stand still, we are gonna have issues lol. 
2010 LMS Mycal 4X3Bar with K&N typhoon, 170 tstat, 534 plugs gapped .030, PPE Downpipes, magnaflow X Pipe and stock mufflers. Eibach Springs and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Silkysmooth02

Took my first L as well, in Mexico :) I was coming up the feeder road and saw a Porsche along side of me gaining ground, I punch it (in my defense, I rarely see anything other than boxsters) as the Porsche goes FLYING past me I read "911 turbo" on the trunk.....oops, lol.   Hell, at least if was a Porsche
If ur not first, ur last.......mods: BOV VTA conversion,93 Octane 3 bar tune from Unleashed Tuning,  blue LEDs inside, white outside. 2 JBL GTI Mkii 12" subs, Planet Audio BB2400.1, Big 3, kinetic 1200 deep cycle batt.

painterpatt

My boss is always showing off his new Jaguar XK 5L. (non supercharged). "It's aluminum and should beat a Mustang". Yeah well. I have a 60ft time showing I was .5 ahead of him in a Flex with a huge roof rack on it lol. Beat him twice in a row on the local 1/8th mile track. Maybe I'll pull all my interior next time and really freak him out hahaha
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!

SHOdded

Nice!  Shoulda offered to tow him so at least he'd keep up :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: Silkysmooth02 on November 04, 2014, 11:43:34 AM
Took my first L as well, in Mexico :) I was coming up the feeder road and saw a Porsche along side of me gaining ground, I punch it (in my defense, I rarely see anything other than boxsters) as the Porsche goes FLYING past me I read "911 turbo" on the trunk.....oops, lol.   Hell, at least if was a Porsche
Those 911's are FAST!!!

Rich

SHOnUup

Quote from: painterpatt on November 16, 2014, 09:53:04 AM
My boss is always showing off his new Jaguar XK 5L. (non supercharged). "It's aluminum and should beat a Mustang". Yeah well. I have a 60ft time showing I was .5 ahead of him in a Flex with a huge roof rack on it lol. Beat him twice in a row on the local 1/8th mile track. Maybe I'll pull all my interior next time and really freak him out hahaha
Aren't you suppose to let the boss win the first one, and then put money on the rematch!!! 8)

Rich

Silkysmooth02

Yea, I love it when people in "fast" cars get embarrassed because of ignorance.   One of my coworkers swore he could beat my old mans car in any competition, even 0-60 (he drives a 05 mustang GT) .  I told him to put his money where his mouth is and bet a whole pay check.......at least he was smart enough to do some research before he lost his money.  Im too nice, I let him back outta the deal.
If ur not first, ur last.......mods: BOV VTA conversion,93 Octane 3 bar tune from Unleashed Tuning,  blue LEDs inside, white outside. 2 JBL GTI Mkii 12" subs, Planet Audio BB2400.1, Big 3, kinetic 1200 deep cycle batt.

Airbornemaikai

^^ This is the exact mentality of the whole "car scene" around here. None of them actually have any knowledge other than the car looks fast or they saw some ridiculously suped up version of said vehicle on YouTube so they believe all of them are like that from the factory. I live in a pretty small city so unfortunately there is hardly anyone my age that is in to cars like me that actually had to work for it and didn't receive it as a gift from their parents. I've explained on more than one occasion that yes my stickers that say twin turbo is because my suv is twin turbo and that I am faster than their car and their buddies car and I've got the time slips to prove it. All the guys do around here is talk talk talk but never put their money where their mouth is. I've jumped in on a few conversations of guys swinging cocks saying I would race and then suddenly no one wants to actually race. If you're not driving a sti, a st, or a evo or your ride doesn't have extreme body damage or more primer than paint around here, they automatically assume you're slow and discredit you. After the last car meet I've stopped going because it agitates me to see guys talking up their future plans to their rides to break out of the 14s meanwhile no one asks about the full size 7 seater suv that weighs 5k, tows an additional 5k, has 4wheel drive but runs 13.5 in my second attempt ever. My wife gets a kick out of it always getting me in trouble telling guys their vehicles combined wouldn't be worth the price of the wheels on our sport so we're not racing for pink slips but they are too broke to race for cash so they need to just shut up. I'm always like ok nice to meet you guys we'll be going now.
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

Josephm

lol---MAN--- Are we in the same boat? Everyone always asks "Why do you race your SUV?" My response--Because its faster than your car or majority of cars at the strip.

Last time I went out there was a guy with a wrx talking and he would not run me, had me run his buddy with an accord v6 and i informed him it was going to bad and he did not believe me. After that neither would run me.

Weird how everyone talks, til it is time to put up.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Airbornemaikai

Maybe it's a Northwest thing lol. BTW I'll be in Seattle for the 49ers vs Seahawks game :)
2014 Explorer Sport
LMS 91 Tune with 3 Bar Map
160º Evenflo T-stat, 0.30 Motorcraft plugs
LMS DP W/HI-Flow Cats, LMS Corsa Cat-Back
Airaid 401-260

AJP turbo

Ran into a Charger today coming home from work. I hate those Mopar's, they always think they are the baddest thing on the road. It was just an R/T so I figure a 5.7 Hemi. He was zipping in and out of traffic so he started bothering me lol....I managed to get behind him but couldn't really get around him, we were going through a construction zone so I got fed up and whipped it into the other lane that was blocked off by barrels. He saw me head over so he nailed it. I guess it wasn't really fair since I'm tuned. But the roads were wet and maybe a little slushy from the flurries we were getting. He must've hydro planed or something because he actually grazed one of the orange barrels and shot the barrel into the median lol....I wasn't going to let out, I hate those stupid Mopar's...I think he was afraid to go much over 120mph because of the weather and construction so I held to about 130mph and I knew he got the point...The awd is really sweet in these cars. He left his high beams on after I moved back in front of him. I don't know why people do that. When I get beat on the street I usually give a thumbs up..It's all in good fun for me..You win some you lose some I say.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Josephm

Quote from: Airbornemaikai on November 19, 2014, 02:46:58 AM
Maybe it's a Northwest thing lol. BTW I'll be in Seattle for the 49ers vs Seahawks game :)

That city is going to be ROARING come 5 O'clock!!! Have fun!!

EDIT: Do you have the intake that just came out? Should report on MPG on that long flat trip, at least til you get to snoqualime.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete