• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Feels like the transmission is slipping

Started by curry67, November 30, 2013, 08:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curry67

if the car is ever at like highway speed or over 50 it like feels like its shaking or slipping at 1800-2500 rpm. It usually when im in 4-5-6 i think mostly 5th. Is this a transmission problem? I have seen a blinking engine light when this first started happening i brought it to a ford dealership they said it was good but it still does it. There wernt any engine codes. I almost feeling like doing it over and over till it blinks again so i can bring it in.

If i floor it feels great 98 percent of the time but it does happen once or twice. its only when the revs or low.

DJE624

Could be some sensor on the transmission.  Can you check for codes?

EcoBrick Bob

Might be a misfire... It won't code until you get a solid "check engine" light.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

DJE624

I have pulled codes w/o a check engine light. 

EcoBrick Bob

It's possible, but I have had a flashing light like that and after 3 times over a few weeks, I finally got a solid light and a #6 cylinder misfire.  And... when vehicle is misfiring, it shutters just like described.

This happened when I was going down hill for  several seconds, where tranny was doing the braking.  Once flashing, when you attempted to accelerate, car shuttered till misfire went away.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

curry67

no im unable to check the codes myself i think i will be buying one of those things forsure though. It only happens when i like really ease into it. like if i dont press hard enough to make it downshift.

DJE624

If you have an AutoZone nearby, they will check it for free. Maybe other part stores would too.

SHOdded

This TSB may address the "slippage" issue:  http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3650/tsb10-09-09.htm

"broken orifice restrictor cup plug in the forward clutch circuit"
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

curry67... what's model and year of your ride?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

curry67

BiGMaC

If it's the tranny, while other causes could be at the root, the TSB SHOdded posted below is the one you want, including what Ford recommends for diagnosis and repair.

Maybe make a signature so people can tell what you're driving.  :thumb:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

jimmyducati

I had the exact same issue you described, started after I upgraded to the 4+ tune from LMS... Called them and they said it could be "spark blowout" from the extra boost and improperly set spark plug gaps, others here said its probably a misfire from possible combo of things that I fixed all at once.

First thing, change the spark plugs and gap them properly, something ford seemingly never did. The gap should be .035..

Second, and the most probable cause of your problems, there is a wire that is unshielded that runs vertically up the front corner of the drivers side head. This wire is the knock sensor and has been known to chafe on the sharp edge of the head causing a short and consequently triggering the misfire your feeling while driving down the road. WRAP THAT WIRE!

I had these symptoms 3-5 times a week, haven't had them in the 2 months since I applied these fixes.
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

BiGMaC

jimmyd... could you post a pic of the knock sensor wire...? TIA

BiGMaC

Thanks DJ   :thankyou:

What a terrible piece of engineering!   :yuk:  I'm gonna make it a point to put the wires in a sleeve and the a loom to stand them off of the metal