• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Black roof on white.

Started by curry67, November 30, 2013, 06:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoBrick Bob

Not really... I just climbed on the windshield and licked it off! 
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

DJE624

Here is a picture that I found with the vinyl.  Doesn't look too bad.

bpd1151

I veered away from vinyl, and opted for paint myself.

Reason being, is that i've seen 1st hand, some vinyl (wrap) jobs, where in particular the roof, would be effected by not only the direct sun, but also the heat from the cabin interior (during Summer months) whereas the vinyl would begin to bubble up and/or peel.

Now maybe the quality of the adhesive's have changed in recent times, but with all the car shows i've entered over the years, i've seen quite a few instances like described above, on multiple different cars.

Just food for thought. It's cheaper (than paint) for a reason.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

DJE624

Good points.  I wonder how much paint would be.  I would guess like $500 maybe.

BiGMaC

DJ.. I like the look and stopping at the seal channels. 

True that the vinyl may not be as durable as paint... but not necessarily a problem. 
Look at the clear bras., It's good for years.  My neighbor wraps cars (completely) for a living in his shop next door and I just discussed this with him.  Ultimately its cheaper than the cost of a good paint and finish/polish, it let's you see what your car actually looks like in that color scheme, protects the original paint, for your idea is a couple of hour's job, and if you don't like it... zip and back to original!  Or redo it and have a new finish.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

bpd1151

BM.....

I'm sure your neighbor voluntarily informed you that there's a HUGE difference in mil thickness between the Clear Bra material, versus simple vinyl.

That's the reason why the Clear Bra is as durable as it is.

Comparing it regular vinyl used for wrapping, is just not proper.

However, as you've noted, the benefits (of vinyl) are it's ability to be easily removed and return back to the original surface.

BiGMaC

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 01, 2013, 08:51:50 PM
BM.....

I'm sure your neighbor voluntarily informed you that there's a HUGE difference in mil thickness between the Clear Bra material, versus simple vinyl.

That's the reason why the Clear Bra is as durable as it is.

Comparing it regular vinyl used for wrapping, is just not proper.

However, as you've noted, the benefits (of vinyl) are it's ability to be easily removed and return back to the original surface.

bpd... WAY TRUE, I'm with you there.... including your previous post before DJ

He makes his living with the auto and truck wrapping.  He did another neighbor's C6 turning black to red.  Still looks good 6 months later, but I'll admit the C6 is babied. Not only thickness on the vinyl, but UV blocking and durability additives vary.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Boggus

Mine is wrapped in Vinyl... Will try and get a picture posted tomorrow.
2013 unleashed SHO PP

curry67

what should this cost and where are some pics of it painted. i cant find any for some reason.

bpd1151

Quote from: curry67 on December 01, 2013, 11:55:35 PMWhat should this cost and where are some pics of it painted. i cant find any for some reason.

Don't remember the cost off hand quite honestly. I'd have to break out the phone book thick file on the Taurus and dig through all the receipts.

Here's a couple of pics though.....

SHOdded

Very slick, Mike.  Looks like the entire roof is made of glass!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

steve142857

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 02, 2013, 01:24:38 AM
Quote from: curry67 on December 01, 2013, 11:55:35 PMWhat should this cost and where are some pics of it painted. i cant find any for some reason.

Don't remember the cost off hand quite honestly. I'd have to break out the phone book thick file on the Taurus and dig through all the receipts.
It looks very nice indeed... When I have my black flex, I have the whole roof painted in silver and was charged 500$ at the dealer. Vinyl would cost about 300$ and another option (which I am about to test) would be plastidip, but with a pearl in it or a metalizer. That last option could be done for about 200-300$. The advantage of vinyl and plastidip is that it is reversible. It should look as nice as the paint for about 3-5 years. When you sell the car, the next buyer can always remove it and have the car like original. Meanwhile, the paint under remains intact.
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

BiGMaC

Quote from: steve142857 on December 02, 2013, 09:16:15 AM
Quote from: bpd1151 on December 02, 2013, 01:24:38 AM

It looks very nice indeed... When I have my black flex, I have the whole roof painted in silver and was charged 500$ at the dealer. Vinyl would cost about 300$ and another option (which I am about to test) would be plastidip, but with a pearl in it or a metalizer. That last option could be done for about 200-300$. The advantage of vinyl and plastidip is that it is reversible. It should look as nice as the paint for about 3-5 years. When you sell the car, the next buyer can always remove it and have the car like original. Meanwhile, the paint under remains intact.

My point exactly, especially for an easily reversible trial or "temporary" change.  Paint could come later in a few years if you loved it, or change the look if you didn't like it, or wanted to go to stock for trade-in, etc.