• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" wire up a switch so you can manually turn the fans on - Kolk1

Started by SHOdded, November 23, 2013, 01:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

ok so took some pics of how i wired my switch.
once again my artistic rendering of the schematic

Fan to relay: pin 87(yellow wire)using t tap connector

next is pin 30(blue wire)to battery ground. you don't have to connect it to the negative battery terminal.

then pin 85(white wire)to any solid ground. i used the one right above the battery ground.

then pin 86 (black wire) to your power switch. (in the car if you want a switch in the cabin).

i removed the wiper arms and cowl piece and ran the wires through the boot behind there. these were the best pics i could get showing where i ran the wire

you then need to run the other terminal of your fan switch to a constant 12v source. i used the fuse panel in the driver side footwell and just pressed the wire from the fan switch in with the fuse

then just ground your switch(and wire light if equipped) and you should be able to test the switch to make sure everything functions.
here's the switch while ON

hope this helps anybody that's on the fence about installation. overall i'm very happy i decided to do this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

TopherSho

any chance of larger pix ?  this still interests me .. but it also terrifies me.  and what kind of relay did you use ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: TopherSho on June 08, 2017, 03:47:38 PM
any chance of larger pix ?  this still interests me .. but it also terrifies me.  and what kind of relay did you use ?
sure. pics of what specifically?  this is the relay i used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009WC2Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. . any standard 30/40amp relay will work. overall the install was pretty damn easy. hardest part is running the wires into the cabin

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

TopherSho

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on June 08, 2017, 06:19:41 PM
sure. pics of what specifically?  this is the relay i used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009WC2Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. . any standard 30/40amp relay will work. overall the install was pretty damn easy. hardest part is running the wires into the cabin

All of them ;) I was curious about how you made the attachments / connections / splicing
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Colorado-SHOBro

wanted to update this thread with a little experiment i did today. i've had the manual fan switch for 1 fan in the cabin but preparing for track day coming up i wanted to be able to run both fans with the car off. so i tapped the 2nd fan and soldered on a terminal clip so i can clamp it on the - battery terminal in the staging lanes. pic below

ill unplug it completely for anything but track days.  here's the experiment drove the car in 70* weather and turned it off and let it heat soak. here's the IAT2 coolant temps before i turned on the fans on

7 minutes after running the fans w/hood open in my garage

15 minutes with fans on:

battery voltage dropped to 11.6 so i started the car(with no struggle) and iat dropped a little more after 15 seconds running.

so. . 31* drop in IAT2 after running the fans with hood open and car off. ill take it!!

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Macgyver

SHOdded

To see larger pics, if using desktop, simply right click on the pic and open in new tab or window.  On a mobile device, keep your finger pressed on the image until the option to open in new tab comes up.  The original pic is quite large.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

f8tlSHO

I may look into this, I struggle with these high iats also!!!

2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

Gray Brick

Has anyone confirmed this mod doesn't cause issues with the engine on?

While in the staging lanes the fans would still stay on full blast while turning on and off the engine.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

Agentlongwood

I don't know about whether the mod causes issues with the engine on... but I do want to know how you set up the tuner to display those specific gauges.  When I select gauges/datalog and put it in that layout that shows 8 items, its a bunch of stuff I don't care about while driving.  I didn't know you could change which 8 it shows.  I'd love to have it show IAT2, wastegate, boost, etc.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

TimmyATL

Yall might want look at the wiring diagram for the cooling fans. On my 13PP fuse F70 supplies power to the control side of the three cooling fan relays and is hot in start or run. the only thing that needs to be done is manipulate the grounds at the PCM connector. For my year it is pins 34 for the low cooling fan relay and pin 18 for the high cooling fan. Seems it would be easier to just run wires from the PCM connector under the cowl and run it in the inside than have all those wires under the hood. Just my $.02
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5