• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smell

Started by Vortex69, November 23, 2013, 08:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interesting. I didn't notice how many people who had the smell were tuned or not tuned.
I have about 4500 miles on my 2014 and installed the tune in the car Saturday.
I did a number of WOT runs from a standing start and from about 45-50 mph, all within about 2 miles. I  found out what "spark blowout is all about, miss/stutter...sucks.
All of a sudden while driving 45mph I get this stink, kind of like being behind a car with bad cats like you would smell from some cars back in the 1980s. Rotten egg/sulfur smell. It lasted about 30 seconds
So who have a smell with no tune and who gets the smell with a tune?
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

DJE624

Did you get the cold weather CW tune?  I wonder if you are running a little rich. 

Dave,
   I fired off an email to Anthony Saturday evening and he called me today.
I went over the symptoms, stutter from about 4000-4500 rpms, forgot to mention the smell, and he mentions getting the SP 534 plugs, I forgot to ask him what to gap them at, or he said to double check the gap on the stock plugs. Then he said, now I might not get this quite right so remember these may not exactly be his words, that Ford changed their electronics (ecm?) and LMS is still uncovering little things, and as fixes come out  they will let us know.
Again, Im not saying what I just typed is gospel, I did a LOT of drugs back in the 70s :-)
Anyway, he told me he would send me the cold weather tune but it might be after New Years as the guy who writes the tunes is off until then. All fine and good, youre only talking 2 days, and I want to flash it back to stock to take it in and have the oil changed.
Im not changing oil when its -5 or more below zero
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

DJE624

I think they gap at 30.  Some guys have done 28.  Yeah, they got the 10-12s good.  The 13-14 was a whole new ball game.

BiGMaC

Quote from: 65460 on December 30, 2013, 08:25:13 PM
Dave,
   I fired off an email to Anthony Saturday evening and he called me today.
I went over the symptoms, stutter from about 4000-4500 rpms, forgot to mention the smell, and he mentions getting the SP 534 plugs, I forgot to ask him what to gap them at, or he said to double check the gap on the stock plugs. Then he said, now I might not get this quite right so remember these may not exactly be his words, that Ford changed their electronics (ecm?) and LMS is still uncovering little things, and as fixes come out  they will let us know.
Again, Im not saying what I just typed is gospel, I did a LOT of drugs back in the 70s :-)
Anyway, he told me he would send me the cold weather tune but it might be after New Years as the guy who writes the tunes is off until then. All fine and good, youre only talking 2 days, and I want to flash it back to stock to take it in and have the oil changed.
Im not changing oil when its -5 or more below zero

Likely it's the brand LMS favors.. but, most important a heat range cooler than stock.  Important for performance and preventing detonation when the tune advances your timing.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

B-Mac, I agree. It doesn't matter whos plugs you use (that's a whole other debate) I think the Sp534 is a Motorcraft plug, but its the fact that you drop it to a colder plug and correctly gap them
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock