• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

9006 HID bulb in a 9012 socket?

Started by abnjeffy, November 22, 2013, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abnjeffy

I'm looking to purchase a set of HIDs for my 2013 Taurus. I can only find the 9006 kits, which are nearly identical to the HIR2/9012 bulbs used in the 2013 and 2014 models. However, there is a slight difference in the top locking tabs. I have read about people modifying 9012 bulbs to fit in 9006 sockets, but I am going the other way since there are currently no 9012 specific HID kits that I know of.

Does anyone know specifically how to make a 9006 bulb fit in a 9012 socket? I would prefer to modify the bulb and not go chipping away at the headlight housing, that is if it's even necessary
---2013 Taurus Limited, non-SHO---

BigPelo

That's what I did: 9006 and grinded a part of the plastic bulb. I have a pattern I could share with you on how to do it.

You don't need to touch the housing.

You have a Canadian car?
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

abnjeffy

No my car s american.  Is there a difference?

I'd appreciate any help you could provide.  What did you have to grind on the bulb?

BiGMaC

BigPelo... Could you post it for everyone... I'm sure many are interested and it could make a great "How To".  TIA

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BigPelo

Canadian car are sold with halogne light. American SHO should come with HID. Because I am Canadian, I upgraded my headlight to HID.

I will scan my pattern into pdf and post it here later this weekend.
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs

SHOdded

I believe you need to trim 9012 bulb tabs when fitting into a 9006 headlamp socket, but no trimming is required when placing a 9006 in a 9012 socket.  You should be OK.

9012 into a 9006 headlamp socket:

http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html
http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

Interested in seeing your pattern, Big Pelo!  Thanks in advance for putting it up.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

abnjeffy

Quote from: BigPelo on November 23, 2013, 12:56:09 AM
Canadian car are sold with halogne light. American SHO should come with HID. Because I am Canadian, I upgraded my headlight to HID.

I will scan my pattern into pdf and post it here later this weekend.

Mine isn't an SHO, just a lowly Limited model.  I would appreciate the template, thanks in advance

abnjeffy

BigPelo

Oupss, forgot you!

I will try tonight after work. In the meantime, here's a solution:

http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/high-and-low-beam-9012-bi-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-with-slim-ballast-for-ford-taurus-with-halogen-2013/

Might not be as high quality as www.theretrofitsource.com but at half the price, I would try them.

BigPelo

Finally made the pdf. Sorry it tooks so long. E mail me so I can reply with the doc attached.

explorergotoluvit

if your interested in doing it the right way (well in my mind) so your not brighting everyone you should look into these www.lightwerks.com. Having the right projector helps not to bright other. its crisper lighting on the road for yourself as well..
2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

explorergotoluvit

Thanks I for get its .net and doesn't help I mis spelled it
2013 explorer sport
LMS tuner stat 160 3 bar magna flow v8 91 map
k&n H&R spring
retrofit FXR bi-xenon projectors done by lightwerkz 
all lights replaced with leds from daytimebrightlites