• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

$3500 for Meth???? WTF

Started by Darkside, November 20, 2013, 02:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHeartGroceries

Perhaps I missed it, but is there any particular reason why tuning with ethanol is not an option? It seems to nullify the necessity for meth, with its excellent cooling properties. 50/50 or less mixtures, with an appropriate tuning solution  has worked wonders in the Mazdaspeed community. Or, is the issue lack of fueling capacity on OE equipment with these engines?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

crash712us

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on November 26, 2013, 05:03:55 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but is there any particular reason why tuning with ethanol is not an option? It seems to nullify the necessity for meth, with its excellent cooling properties. 50/50 or less mixtures, with an appropriate tuning solution  has worked wonders in the Mazdaspeed community. Or, is the issue lack of fueling capacity on OE equipment with these engines?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

As there are no fuel systems mods availably to use at the moment as in DI pump or injectors. Ethanol tuning is out as the stock system isn't capable of handling the extra fuel required for ethanol.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

EcoBrick Bob

A few guys tried pulling a tanker full of E-85 behind their EB vehicles... NO Fueling issues... but found 1/4 mi times suffered tremendously....  22.86 ET @ 45.93 MPH!!!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Fast SHO

I just got quoted $850 for kit and install from a reputable shop.  Gives you some perspective.  lol
2014 SHO PP

bpd1151

Quote from: Fast SHO on December 09, 2013, 05:06:05 PM
I just got quoted $850 for kit and install from a reputable shop.  Gives you some perspective.  lol

Not sure what kit you're receiving, because even Julio @ Alky Controls wouldn't be letting his meth kits fly off the shelves for free.

Berating a reputable vendor, with an errant, generic, blank statement such as the one you've posted, lends itself to some "perspective".

Rather than being so vague, your information would be more helpful if you would consider posting:

The shop performing the work
The actual kit you plan on purchasing (mfg'er/part #) etc.
The (separate) price for the "kit", as well the labor.

Providing the above may help others help themselves make their own decisions as it relates to their own applications.

:thankyou:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

EcoBrick Bob

Agreed!  NO reason to DISPARAGE ANYONE... Livernois is an excellent company.. they may charge more than you think is fair... but they are what they are because they know what they know and they know what it costs to do things their way. 

However, If one would install a Devils Own kit, complete with tank, controller and braided lines, it probably could be done for that price, provided you didn't have to remove the front clip. If you have a custom CAI like 4DR had or like I have, there is room for the pump below it, and the tank can be installed above pump somewhere inside radiator, and not restrict air flow. It would also take someone who had done this many times...

I might modify Torrie's system to do some or all of this.  But.. if you are mostly looking for power for short bursts, or serious strip time, Torrie's system works fine, you just have to make sure it is primed if you are running long wot runs, like at the strip.  Honestly, I never saw any time I didn't have spray, but like everything... S...T happens... even with Alky Control controllers that Livernois sells!

2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

BiGMaC

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 09, 2013, 06:31:08 PM
Quote from: Fast SHO on December 09, 2013, 05:06:05 PM

Not sure what kit you're receiving, because even Julio @ Alky Controls wouldn't be letting his meth kits fly off the shelves for free.

Berating a reputable vendor, with an errant, generic, blank statement such as the one you've posted, lends itself to some "perspective".

Rather than being so vague, your information would be more helpful if you would consider posting:

The shop performing the work
The actual kit you plan on purchasing (mfg'er/part #) etc.
The (separate) price for the "kit", as well the labor.

Providing the above may help others help themselves make their own decisions as it relates to their own applications.

:clap2:

... And like EBB said

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Fast SHO

Bob w/ Kurgan Motorsports is one of the most reputable tuners in the country when it comes to FI.  And that is where I got the quote.

$3500 is insane pricing and the people on this site should know that.

I'd consider up to $1500 reasonable depending on the setup.
2014 SHO PP

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: Fast SHO on December 09, 2013, 08:32:07 PM
Bob w/ Kurgan Motorsports is one of the most reputable tuners in the country when it comes to FI.  And that is where I got the quote.

$3500 is insane pricing and the people on this site should know that.

I'd consider up to $1500 reasonable depending on the setup.
'

Whose Kit??? Or does he create his own...  No issue with that... It's what I've done with mods to Torries.

BiGMaC

No insult intended.. My question was honest... because just as you point out, every one on the site should know.
:alkashi:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

bpd1151

Awesome Fast SHO. :ok:

Perhaps others will contact that vendor then.

Do you know what particular meth kit is being utilized?

Also, is it a 100% Methanol Kit, or an end user defined mixed solution? Say like 50/50%?

IIRC, I believe Alky Controls was looking at selling their kits for like in the $700 range. I could be mistaken.

But even with that, your stated price quote of $850 would mean the vendor you cited is theoretically doing the install for $150.....

Which, I'll add, is just as ludicrous, albeit on the opposite end of the spectrum.

So just to be clear Fast SHO, no one is questioning any tuner's reputation, and no one is questioning you per se....

But it goes w/o saying that details are helpful.

So thank you for providing your vendor, now please consider supplying the remainder of the suggested information.

It may prove beneficial for all potentially considering this mod for themselves down the road.

Thanks once again.

steve142857

Considering the alky kit cost around 850$. The install by a professional dhould take between 10-20 hours at a rate of 50$-100$ per hour. I paid 20 hours at 75$/hour for a very clean job. I found it a bit long and expensive, but it was their first time.
So for that kit, it should be between 1500$ to 2500$ all included, no more.
Thx!
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

Fast SHO

I misspoke.  $850 installed.  So you are looking at $1600-1800 for the kit plus install/tune with Bob.

But that is my last post on the subject.  $3500 is insane.
2014 SHO PP

steve142857

Quote from: Fast SHO on December 09, 2013, 09:24:08 PM
I misspoke.  $850 installed.  So you are looking at $1600-1800 for the kit plus install/tune with Bob.

But that is my last post on the subject.  $3500 is insane.
In my case, I already had a tune fron LMS and I only want them to tune my car (even if I am sure others are very qualified, LMS have been tuning more than any for at least three years and it was reassuring for me)... So, when I ordered the ally kit from them, even if the kit was installed by someone else, Livernois updated my tune at no cost. So that is another option too.
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

bpd1151

Quote from: Fast SHO on December 09, 2013, 09:24:08 PMI misspoke.  $850 installed.

So you are looking at $1600-1800 for the kit, PLUS install/tune with Bob.

But that is my last post on the subject. 

$3500 is insane.

So out the door, all totalled, members are potentially looking at outlaying $2,450-$2,650 through the vendor you've cited.

Or $1,800 total (labor & parts combined)? Difficult to decipher as your post isn't clear.

Although collectively, other members may agree with your (repeated) opinions of LMS, the revised amount you've specified is still nothing to sneeze at.....

And a far cry from your initial (implied total) of $850.

Thank you clearing that up, and acknowledging you misspoke.

Good info, is better then no info at all.

You should've just supplied all the particulars to begin with.

In a round about way, you're doing the vendor you cited a disservice by not talking them up from the onset.