• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Winter driving.... Im impressed!

Started by Txstrmhntr, December 09, 2013, 11:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txstrmhntr

Well if you have seen the news, Texas was hit pretty hard with about 2-3 inches of Ice covering everything. I had to work nights Thur-Sun. My commute was 46miles each way to work. And even on the GY Eagle F1 Supercar tires the SHO came with it handled exceptionally well on the icy roads, I would say it rivaled the Subaru outback i traded for it.

Needless to say, I am very Impressed.
OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection
NEW-- 2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST, Stock(not for long)

DJE624

Glad you made it back and forth safely.  That's a pretty long commute, well not for TX.  When I was down there, that's about how far the gas station and PO was.

Frozen Taurus

I am also impressed with how well they drive in the snow. I have Kuhmo Ecsta 4x all season tires 255/45/20 and with the exception of a little under steer while turning I am happy 
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

SHOdded

Probably the first time someone's said good things about the F1's in inclement weather :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Txstrmhntr

Quote from: SHOdded on December 09, 2013, 03:49:08 PM
Probably the first time someone's said good things about the F1's in inclement weather :thumb:

Funny thing is while driving. I couldn't help but think that if I was doing this well on "these tires" what would a good set of all seasons be like. :hmmm:
OLD
2013 Taurus SHO with PP, LET Tuned, ATP+2 Turbos ,PPE Hotpipes, PPE off road DP's,  Alky control methanol injection

DJE624

For summer tires, the other problem besides traction is temperature.  I've heard that at temps below 40 F the sidewalls will start falling apart.

IHeartGroceries

You're a braver man than I.
I'm in Fort Worth. The roads were just plain nasty over the weekend. My SHO stayed nestled in the garage all weekend, today, and will be tomorrow as well!

Hopefully it can come out later his week, when it is dry again. I miss driving it.

Nice to know it would've done well, though honestly, I had no doubts (other than the HP summer tires on it, of course). :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on December 09, 2013, 08:06:11 PM
You're a braver man than I.
I'm in Fort Worth. The roads were just plain nasty over the weekend. My SHO stayed nestled in the garage all weekend, today, and will be tomorrow as well!

Hopefully it can come out later his week, when it is dry again. I miss driving it.

Nice to know it would've done well, though honestly, I had no doubts (other than the HP summer tires on it, of course). :)

Good place for the SHO!!!

When I lived in Fort Worth I bought a jeep just to use when the ice storms hit.  people slowed down and got stuck in the underpasses on the interstate... looked like a billiard game as the tried to get out.  LOL

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

vernonator

Quote from: Frozen Taurus on December 09, 2013, 02:07:59 PM
I am also impressed with how well they drive in the snow. I have Kuhmo Ecsta 4x all season tires 255/45/20 and with the exception of a little under steer while turning I am happy

Amen to that - I run Blizzaks on 18" rims in the winter - just put them on sunday as we got 5" of snow here. Between AWD and Traction Control the SHO is a Snow Beast with the right rubber....I am REALLY suprised that the F1's perfromed for you, but maybe it was because it was ice and not snow. The few times I have driven the F1's in snow the treads fill up and they turn into slicks. Even 1" of snow on the road became an obstacle.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

Fa-SHO

I'm here in Ft. Worth with you and had to get out a couple of times myself.  I can second how surprisingly well this car and tires performed.
2013 SHO w/PP, x-pipe, dynomax mufflers, k&n drop-in filter, 170* t-stat, 3-bar MAP, LMS tune
1/8th: 8.71 @ 84 mph (factory stock)
1/8th: 8.18 @ 84 mph (above mods)
1/4: 12.80 @ 107 mph (above mods)

Txstrmhntr

I'm in Burleson so basically Ft Worth. Unfortunately I had to get out in this mess. I work at a :nuke: power plant :nuke: and utility workers don't get snow days. Someone got to keep the power on so we all don't freeze  :thumb:
OLD

gazzami1969

Newbie here with his first post, LOL

I'm also running the F1's on my 14 SHO with PP... hate them!! I'm just curious if I'd have any issues switching to 18's with Michelin Ice or something similar? I know nothing about cars, LOL I just wanna drive a car that looks good AND drives good, especially this time of year on our snowy roads in MI!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
2014 SHO PP

vernonator

Quote from: gazzami1969 on December 10, 2013, 09:25:53 PM
Newbie here with his first post, LOL

I'm also running the F1's on my 14 SHO with PP... hate them!! I'm just curious if I'd have any issues switching to 18's with Michelin Ice or something similar? I know nothing about cars, LOL I just wanna drive a car that looks good AND drives good, especially this time of year on our snowy roads in MI!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have a '12 PP and run DM-V1 235/55R18 Blizzaks in the winter - the are STELLAR. They don't look too bad (will snap a pic today) and the looks is completely offset by the performance.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

gazzami1969

Quote from: vernonator on December 11, 2013, 09:15:37 AM

I have a '12 PP and run DM-V1 235/55R18 Blizzaks in the winter - the are STELLAR. They don't look too bad (will snap a pic today) and the looks is completely offset by the performance.
[/quote]

SWEET.... gonna check out the Blizzaks before I go with the Michelin Ice!!!  Thanks
2014 SHO PP

IHeartGroceries

Quote from: Fa-SHO on December 10, 2013, 11:30:48 AM
I'm here in Ft. Worth with you and had to get out a couple of times myself.  I can second how surprisingly well this car and tires performed.

Quote from: Txstrmhntr on December 10, 2013, 12:54:38 PM
I'm in Burleson so basically Ft Worth. Unfortunately I had to get out in this mess. I work at a :nuke: power plant :nuke: and utility workers don't get snow days. Someone got to keep the power on so we all don't freeze  :thumb:

Hate to tread so far off topic, but I don't see a regional section, or meet section here. I see there's quite a few of us in and around DFW. Anybody ever arrange any meets? I'm still pretty active in the local Mazda meets as well. It'd be a welcome change to check out a SHO gathering. :)

Anyway, back OT.

2013 SHO PP