• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford racing gauges??????

Started by FracaSHO, November 19, 2013, 02:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJE624

I think you have the gauge thing covered, Mike.

BiGMaC

I agree.. but the pic reminds me I want a t-handle shifter in my '13

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

I think oil temp is an important one too. Having oil to operating temp before running the piss out of it is important for engine longevity. (Check out BITOG for more info on the importance of oil temp) It's also overlapping labor with the pressure gauge install since they can both be ran off the oil filter adapter.

I have a pod sitting here and as of right now the 3 i want are

Boost (Strictly eye candy as Torque can monitor)
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp

The others I want because torque cant monitor them, at least yet.

Still considering other suggestions though...

SwampRat

My Head keeps spinnin round n round ...... I Got My POD from Chris a few weeks ago and STILL have not ordered My gauges  ..... !?!?!? :help2:
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

FoMoCoSHO

LOL, I've been staring at mine for MONTHS!

I take an extremely cautious approach to modding. I don't like to pay for things twice.

mjhpadi

Quote from: BiGMaC on November 20, 2013, 10:18:42 PM
I agree.. but the pic reminds me I want a t-handle shifter in my '13
We had another member try to change to the t-handle, and it doesn't work...the pieces don't fit correctly on the '13's.  I purchased the parts from him, in case mine start showing wear, I can replace them...
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

mjhpadi

Quote from: kbeck59 on November 24, 2013, 12:06:59 AM
My Head keeps spinnin round n round ...... I Got My POD from Chris a few weeks ago and STILL have not ordered My gauges  ..... !?!?!? :help2:
Don't feel bad, I have pod #4 and still haven't decided on gauges, nor have a found anyone in my area willing to help with the install...and I've had my pod for a couple of years.  Keep going back and forth on which gauges I want :banghead:
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Dxlnt1

Think you guys are talking me out of the evo Gage's. but they do look nice. Gage's I'm considering for a pod to order, Boost, oil psi, and tranny temp. I like the full sweep sweep of gages and matches the technology appeal of the SHO instead of having a "standard" analog gage. just my .02 cents with change.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but oil temp is relational to water temp. Therefore separate gage is merely eye candy. So if water temp is within range, assumption would be that oil is too right? Or am I missing something?

http://prosportgauges.com/evo-series-Red-and-Blue.aspx

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/MaxTow-Transmission-Temperature-Gauge.aspx

Also, anyone know mechanic or in L.A. Area who would do or assist install?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

BiGMaC

WOW...just read through this thread again.  Maybe I'll order gauges first..... then the pod... just to speed the install.  :upsidedown: :rofl:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Mikesb

Any how to's on install of gauges? 2013 sho pp here.  I am thinking boost, eng temp, trans temp

Are there existing senders you tie into, also I'm sure it's critical that gauges are connected to illumination dimmer
2013 SHO PP BLACK 7k mi - 12.9 @107  LMS 91 v8 METH TUNE - ALKY CONTROLS METH - 3-BAR - AIRAID - PPE DP'S w/cats - CORSA CB - PLUGS - T-STAT - UPGRADE AUDIO
PORTLAND OREGON

crash712us

No Mike unfortunately after market gauges do not work like that. The is no tying into existing senders, gauges you order will come with senders needed. As for gauge wiring is pretty simple most gauges consist of a power wire, ground, lighting wire, and signal wire for the sender. So if your wiring 3 gauges the 1st 3 wires mention will all go to to the same source. Such all gauge can be powered by same source and grounded by the same ground and so on. Where they differ is where there signal wires go to the senders.

For the type of gauges you want to do if your using electric gauges a boost gauge will come with a MAP sensor, The MAP will have a pig tail and gauge will have pig tail and you fill in the wire in between and the you will tap the appropriate location into the cars vacuum lines. Its in my how to.
Engine temp gauge you will have get a adapter T the will splice in coolant hose so a sensor can be threaded into, or you will have make sensor manifold out brass plumbing hardware so you can share same location at the factory coolant sensor. I would like to do this one day myself but sense this sensor is located on the back cylinder head and will required more time to install I went the other route.
Trans temp hopefully BDP will chime in as he is the only person I know that has this gauges and I am uncertain exactly how he went about put his sender into the trans. But there many ways to accomplish this task as well such as cut into one the oil line using the right brass plumbing hardware to be able to screw your sensor into.

But back to your original question, gauges are calibrated to there sensors. So for the after market it would make sense to make gauges for specific vehicles as there would so many variances of the same gauge. Plus it been my experience on some cars the OEM maker won't even share a single sensor. Example you have car with coolant gauge, in this case your cars engine may have to coolant sensors one for the gauge and one for the ECM. Not sure why they can't be shared, but I know it just isn't done.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

BiGMaC

Quote from: Mikesb on January 05, 2014, 12:26:18 PM
I am thinking boost, eng temp, trans temp

Does "engine Temp" = coolant temp?

What made you decide against oil pressure?

Interested in folks thinking as I have a 3 gauge A pillar pod in my SHO's future.

DJE624

It's kind of hard to pick three when four would be nice.  Boost, Oil PSI, Engine Temp and Trans Temp.  I'll live with my Torque and Nexus 7. 

bpd1151

Mikesb..... There aren't any "How-To's" on any of the gauge installs.

They're fairly straight forward, as far as from a wiring / electrical perspective, and Crash712us detailed that explanation pretty well. Although I always laugh that he transposes my screen name (consistently) as "BDP".

Too funny.   :rofl2:

You're biggest concern is where to drill through the firewall, in order to run your wiring looms, from the senders installed in the engine bay, to the actual gauges placed inside your car's interior.

In the image below, you'll see if you peer down, and into the Driver's foot well, at the firewall, to the immediate left of the where the steering wheel shaft passes through, there's a blue piece of plastic (at least on my 2010, not sure about other model year's, but likely the same).....

I used a 1-1/2" drill bit, to place hole in that area. I then used a metal file to remove most of the burr's and sharp edges, and finally placed a rubber grommet in the hole, before running the wiring through:

Wiring pulled through for various gauges, Meth PAC, etc.....

For the Tranny Temp Gauge, I chose to use an existing port on the bottom of the trans housing.....

For the Oil Temp Gauge, I chose to drill and tap out a unused bolt on the Auxiliary Oil Cooler.....

Notice the bolt in this image, above where the oil filter attaches:

Bolt removed:

Sending Unit Sensor, placed next to the removed bolt (yet to be tapped):

Bolt drilled, tapped, and sending sensor installed:

Entire modified piece reinstalled into Oil Auxiliary Cooler:

So, as you can see from the above, there will be some leg work that you'll inevitably have to put in, in order to operate the gauges that you desire.

Not difficult, but just understand not all of the sending units/sensors are installed from the factory.

Funny you mention the need for an illumination dimmer device.

Although I have yet to install one in mine, I have noticed the need to dim the gauges since my install. They can be pretty bright, and cause a bit of glare. For now, I just deal with it.

But I have inquired with Autometer, if such a product exists, that will provide dimming control, and I was happy to have told that there is such an item available.

Autometer LED Dimmer Switch #9114 (supports up to 6 gauges):

http://autometer.com/cat_accessoriesdetail.aspx?vid=185

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. If anymore should arise, post here, or shoot me a PM.

BiGMaC.....

"Engine Temp" does equate to "Engine Coolant Temp".

My ECT is monitored through the "MyCal" device, suctioned mounted to upper left portion of my windshield.

There is a factory sending unit, or sensor, that the MyCal device is able to read.

For me, deciding between an Oil Pressure Gauge, versus and Oil Temp Gauge was a fairly easy one.

Personally, I'm much more inclined to achieve that never comfortable "oh sh!t" feeling, much faster by monitoring actual oil temp, versus oil pressure.

High oil temps would signal a problem much faster, and likewise result in your decision to "shut her down" instead of an equally important oil pressure problem.

Again, this is a personal choice, but for me, I'd rather know there's a looming problem sooner with oil temp, versus potentially later, if monitoring oil pressure.

Moving along.......

What else?  :hmmm:

Oh yea..... Dxlnt1.....

In regards to Oil Temp being relational to Water Temp and your perception that having a separate gauge to monitor both is mere "eye candy".....

Understand, that there is an average 25-30 degree difference between the two.

Again, this is a personal choice as to decide which is important to one's own individual preferences, but there is a marginal difference in temperatures.

All in all, no matter which gauges one chooses, certainly, the more information able to be achieved by the driver, will provide for better decision making when tracking one's car, or driving it in a rather "spirited fashion".

That said, my current setup is as follows:

In the A-Pillar Pod, I monitor Boost up top, Oil Temp below.

In the "MyCal" device, I monitor (from left to right) Battery/Voltage, IAT, and ECT.

In the Center Gauge Pod Stack, (from left to right) EGT Bank 1, Trans Temp, EGT Bank 2.

In that same Center Gauge Pod Stack, I have the LED's for the Meth Pump (on left) & Meth Low Tank (on right).

Here's an image of all of what's described above:

"The Other" Mike :beer:

Any other questions let me know.

BiGMaC

Thanks bpd.... Great reply!  :thankyou: 
I appreciate the time it took you... Love the pics and the great discussion of the nuances of gauge information.

BTW....hope your not too sore from the other day  :wheelchair: ... or freezing in that crazy cold weather Chicago is getting! :cold: